IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st August 2023, 04:36 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Trump indicted for 2020 election interference

A dedicated thread for these indictments.

Donald Trump has been indicted in special counsel’s 2020 election interference probe.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/01/polit...-2020-election
Old 1st August 2023, 04:46 PM   #2
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Non-CNN indictment document:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/re...8149.1.0_1.pdf
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 04:56 PM   #3
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

He has been summoned to appear in court on Thursday.
Old 1st August 2023, 05:07 PM   #4
Hercules56
Philosopher

This trial should come first.
Old 1st August 2023, 05:09 PM   #5
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

. . . Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Eff your face, Diaper Don.

WS
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 05:16 PM   #6
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 05:30 PM   #7
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

NYT helpfully annotates today's indictment, including highlighting the tl;dr at ¶7

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...annotated.html

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 1st August 2023, 05:39 PM   #8
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

To "convict someone under the 'defraud clause' of 18 U.S.C. § 371, the government need only show (1) he entered into an agreement (2) to obstruct a lawful function of the government (3) by deceitful or dishonest means and (4) at least one overt act in furtherance of the conspiracy."

I think they can do that!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 05:58 PM   #9
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Trump, right now, will be lurching from grease induced heart attack to grease induced heart attack.

I'm expecting to see the "too sick to be on trial" defense offered soon.

Meanwhile, the iron grip of justice continues to slowly tighten around his fat orange neck.
Old 1st August 2023, 06:07 PM   #10
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

It’s almost my birthday. I’ll accept this as an early present.

Thanks! It’s just what I wanted!

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 1st August 2023 at 06:22 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 06:16 PM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Who are the Trump co-conspirators in the 2020 election interference indictment?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/01/polit...ump-indictment

Giuliani
Eastman
Powell
Clark
Chesebro
?
Old 1st August 2023, 06:21 PM   #12
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I said that we should be patient about this. It was inevitable, but they needed to get absolutely every duck in a row before proceeding, to close loopholes and document everything precisely.

Now that they've done that, the man is finished. There is no way this can end well for him. American democracy (such as it is) is saved.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 06:24 PM   #13
zorro99
Graduate Poster

I’m really glad Trump has been indicted. Today was a great day for our country.
Old 1st August 2023, 06:25 PM   #14
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/01/polit...ump-indictment

Giuliani
Eastman
Powell
Clark
Chesebro
?
I'm guessing Flynn. He was in the bat **** crazy Oval Office meeting game- planning the coup.

Could be Patrick Byrne. He's the nutcase/treasonous former Overstock CEO who was also in that meeting.

I would guess Pillow Boy but I've got a suspicion that even as dumb as the Trump people are, they didn't actually involve that guy in any planning.
Old 1st August 2023, 06:27 PM   #15
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Trump, right now, will be lurching from grease induced heart attack to grease induced heart attack.

I'm expecting to see the "too sick to be on trial" defense offered soon.

Meanwhile, the iron grip of justice continues to slowly tighten around his fat orange neck.
Wait. Trump has a neck?
Old 1st August 2023, 06:28 PM   #16
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm guessing Flynn. He was in the bat **** crazy Oval Office meeting game- planning the coup.

Could be Patrick Byrne. He's the nutcase/treasonous former Overstock CEO who was also in that meeting.

I would guess Pillow Boy but I've got a suspicion that even as dumb as the Trump people are, they didn't actually involve that guy in any planning.
I will try to find it somewhere, but that would be right. Pillow Boy was stopped at the WH door when he tried to crash the meeting. With Flynn and Powell in there already, there was enough "crazy" going on already. Mike Pillow would have taken it over the top!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 06:29 PM   #17
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Does anyone think that once Trump calls for more violence he'll be held pre-trial or is that still only for the poors?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 06:31 PM   #18
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Tonight was also National Night Out, where some streets are closed off and it's supposed to be a chance to get to know your neighbors. I bet it's fodder for some volatile conversations.
Old 1st August 2023, 06:32 PM   #19
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Of course, expect the MAGA/Trump machine to launch yet another round of begging/grifting opportunities for the stupid faithful. Although this is now getting to Jonestown levels of cultishness...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 06:33 PM   #20
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Tonight was also National Night Out, where some streets are closed off and it's supposed to be a chance to get to know your neighbors...
What kind of savage, uncivilised society does that???

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 06:40 PM   #21
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I said that we should be patient about this. It was inevitable, but they needed to get absolutely every duck in a row before proceeding, to close loopholes and document everything precisely.

Now that they've done that, the man is finished. There is no way this can end well for him. American democracy (such as it is) is saved.
As did I. I'm taking victory lap. Care to join?

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 06:52 PM   #22
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Mark Hamill chose a heck of a day for a Twi-X boycott.
Old 1st August 2023, 06:54 PM   #23
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
As did I. I'm taking victory lap. Care to join?

https://giphy.com/clips/westminsterk...YOKvdO9OmaaKow
I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm not ready for a victory lap just yet.

- Seth Meyers
Old 1st August 2023, 07:13 PM   #24
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The victory lap is for those of us who predicted that Trump would be indicted for his J6 actions over the predictions that he never would be.
Old 1st August 2023, 07:15 PM   #25
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Doggo and I will perform a victory lap within our suburb after lunch!
Old 1st August 2023, 07:33 PM   #26
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Quote:

Giuliani
Eastman
Powell
Clark
Chesebro
?

Could Peter Navarro be considered part of it? He seemed to have an idea of what was going on with his "green bay sweep" analogy.

Mark Meadows? (There is a chance he flipped on Trump but he still seemed to be in the thick of things)

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 07:39 PM   #27
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has gotten away with crime after crime after crime for decades. Always avoiding accountability.

I was glad to see that Trump was indicted by New York State and he definitely needs to be indicted and convicted for his crimes keeping the documents and then obstruction. But above everything else Trump should go down for the election.
Old 1st August 2023, 08:35 PM   #28
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

One thing that seems to have been left out of this indictment is a charge along the lines of "Inciting a riot". (After all, not only did Trump lie to the MAGAchud about the election, in the Jan6 speech he used words like "fight")

I guess they were assuming that if they tried prosecuting Trump for it, it would get bogged down in issues of "free speech".

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 08:40 PM   #29
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
One thing that seems to have been left out of this indictment is a charge along the lines of "Inciting a riot". (After all, not only did Trump lie to the MAGAchud about the election, in the Jan6 speech he used words like "fight")

I guess they were assuming that if they tried prosecuting Trump for it, it would get bogged down in issues of "free speech".
Yes and they could point to the idea that "fight" doesn't necessarily mean commit violence.
Old 1st August 2023, 08:41 PM   #30
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Once-elected, twice-impeached, thrice indicted.
Old 1st August 2023, 08:52 PM   #31
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yes and they could point to the idea that "fight" doesn't necessarily mean commit violence.
The fact that it hasn't appeared in the indictment suggests to me that they would have been unable to make an open-and-shut case for it, which means it could have been kicked around like a football for years.

- Seth Meyers
Old 1st August 2023, 08:54 PM   #32
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The fact that it hasn't appeared in the indictment suggests to me that they would have been unable to make an open-and-shut case for it, which means it could have been kicked around like a football for years.
I agree. I suspect they wanted to concentrate on the charges they believe they can easily prove to get it done before the election in November.
Old 1st August 2023, 08:57 PM   #33
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've heard that there's a nationwide popcorn shortage. Can anyone confirm?

- Seth Meyers
Old 1st August 2023, 09:03 PM   #34
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I've heard that there's a nationwide popcorn shortage. Can anyone confirm?
Yes. I ordered Kettle Corn 100 calorie packets today from Safeway and they were out. It's the fault of Biden and the commiesocialistlibtards!
Old 1st August 2023, 09:43 PM   #35
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Seconded. Victory means actual consequences. A stern finger wag followed by a toussling of his hair is meaningless. I don't care about the dog and pony drama show. Nothing less than being treated like the criminal he is will suffice. And criminals shouldn't continue to take limo rides home every night.
Old 1st August 2023, 11:33 PM   #36
jt512
Master Poster

Unfortunately, it is not that cut and dried. If Trump wins the election and the trials are still ongoing, he can and will order the Justice Dept. to drop the charges. If he wins the election and is convicted (in either order), he will pardon himself. It will then be up to the Supreme Court to decide whether that is constitutional.

Last edited by jt512; 2nd August 2023 at 12:33 AM.
jt512 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 11:54 PM   #37
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There is still the hurdle of a Court saying that: " if the (Republican) President does it, it's not a crime." argument if they want.
Old 1st August 2023, 11:59 PM   #38
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The victory lap is for those of us who predicted that Trump would be indicted for his J6 actions over the predictions that he never would be.
I think those who have constanly attacked Garland and said he would never indict only have one legitmate statement to make today: How they would like their crow served.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2023, 12:00 AM   #39
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jt512 View Post
Unfortunately, it is not that cut and dried. If Trump wins the election and the trials are still ongoing, he could order the Justice Dept. to drop the charges. If he wins the election and is convicted (in either order), he will pardon himself. It will then be up to the Supreme Court to decide whether that is constitutional.
I think we will pretty much in a state of civil war if that happens.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2023, 12:06 AM   #40
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think we will pretty much in a state of civil war if that happens.
Not this again. I think there might be another Jan 6 type event, but not everyone in the USA is as fixated on guns and politics as you.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics