IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th August 2023, 04:31 PM   #361
slyjoe
Illuminator

Good article on the timeline before Jan 6 regarding Cheesebro mostly (Co-conspirator 5). Pretty detailed - he seems to have played a bigger role in the fake electors scheme that revealed previously.

Cheesbro comes across as a total cultist. Smart but unrealistic. He knew there were going to be issues with fake electors, including with the Supreme Court, but schemed ways to avoid those issues.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...rator-00110458
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2023, 04:39 PM   #362
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
He's off again
This is how NewsMax is reporting it (and I use the term "reporting" loosely).

Quote:
Rep. Barry Loudermilk, R-Ga., chair of the Subcommittee on Oversight for the Committee on House Administration, told Fox News that former Speaker Nancy Pelosi's partisan Jan. panel, which was comprised of Democrats and two anti-Trump Republicans in the previous Congress, failed to adequately preserve documents, data, and video depositions.

Loudermilk said that he was contacted by a defense attorney, who needed access to key information in one of the video depositions. The committee then realized it did not have the videos he was seeking.

A group called the "Blue Team," within the Jan. 6 subcommittee committee, had been directed to investigate security failures at the Capitol, according to Loudermilk. The lawmaker told Fox News that sources told him the Blue Team was "shut down" by the panel to focus on placing blame on Trump.
Somehow, I suspect the J6C did not destroy or fail to preserve their evidence.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2023, 05:16 PM   #363
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

delete double post
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2023, 05:26 PM   #364
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Ummm..... Pearl Harbor?
Aleutian islands of Attu and Kiska?
Old 9th August 2023, 06:57 PM   #365
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Ummm..... Pearl Harbor?
Ummm.... was Pearl Harbor invaded by fascists?

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2023, 06:59 PM   #366
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Ummm.... was Pearl Harbor invaded by fascists?
Of course not, it was bombed by the Germans.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Mike!; 9th August 2023 at 07:01 PM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2023, 07:02 PM   #367
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Well, it's been a few days since the Trump behaviors that people were saying could land him in jail, and he doesn't seem to be in jail or headed that way...
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2023, 07:22 AM   #368
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Quote:
The USA is the only country that fought fascism successfully in WW2 without ever experiencing fascism on its own soil. (The UK saw the Channel Islands occupied, and caught Nazi hell first hand.) That may have something to do with the undoubted attraction fascism has for certain thin-witted types in America.
Ummm..... Pearl Harbor?
Well, technically the U.S. was attacked by Japan, but Pearl Harbor (or any of the surrounding area) was never occupied. (I assume the opening post was referring to some sort of occupation or long-term political control by fascists when they used the phrase 'experienced fascism'.
Quote:
Aleutian islands of Attu and Kiska?
That is perhaps a little bit more relevant... American land was occupied for several months (and American citizens were under the "control" of the Japanese military.) I think the isolated nature of the islands and the small population base makes that particular incident of the war easy to overlook.

I think the original post had sound reasoning... that the lack of SIGNFICANT exposure to fascism may have affected American's perception of the dangers. The problem is the absolute nature of "never experiencing fascism on its soil", which was incorrect from a technical point of view.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 10th August 2023 at 07:24 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2023, 07:31 AM   #369
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Some additional information has come out about the investigation:

The U.S. special counsel investigating Donald Trump obtained a search warrant for the former president's Twitter account in January and the company delayed complying, according to a U.S. appeals court opinion on Wednesday...While Trump's tweets are publicly viewable, the company also holds non-public information on accounts like direct messages, drafts of tweets, location data and the type of device used to send tweets.

They probably wanted that data so that they could confirm that yes, it was Trump sending various tweets, and not some minion working for him.

Note that the government could have got a subpoena instead of a search warrant, but they were likely concerned that evidence could have been destroyed.

It should also be noted that Musk/Twitter/X tried to protect Trump by not turning data over when requested (and as a result had to pay thousands of dollars in fines.)

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2023, 07:33 AM   #370
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

It should also be noted that Musk/Twitter/X tried to protect Trump by not turning data over when requested (and as a result had to pay thousands of dollars in fines.)
That's entirely possible, but it's also worth considering the delay may have been entirely because Twitter, as a company, is highly dysfunctional generally. Wouldn't be surprised if this was something that simply got overlooked because of Musk's terrible management rather than a general attempt to stymie the investigation. Evil or just stupid, hard to say with Musk.
Old 10th August 2023, 07:42 AM   #371
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
That's entirely possible, but it's also worth considering the delay may have been entirely because Twitter, as a company, is highly dysfunctional generally. Wouldn't be surprised if this was something that simply got overlooked because of Musk's terrible management rather than a general attempt to stymie the investigation. Evil or just stupid, hard to say with Musk.
I can somewhat see this as a possibility, but I really think that it's more deliberate than that. Remember the reason they delayed is because they tried to fight the legality of the subpeona.

I don't think there would have been any problem if they had just gone to the judge and said, can we get a couple extra days to get things in order? Judges grant extensions all the time, and Beryl would have probably said, ok, when can you have it done?

But no, they got belligerent about it, and the judge wasn't pleased.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2023, 07:48 AM   #372
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Quote:
...it's also worth considering the delay may have been entirely because Twitter, as a company, is highly dysfunctional generally. Wouldn't be surprised if this was something that simply got overlooked because of Musk's terrible management rather than a general attempt to stymie the investigation.
I can somewhat see this as a possibility, but I really think that it's more deliberate than that. Remember the reason they delayed is because they tried to fight the legality of the subpeona.
The referenced article also points out that Musk wanted to inform Trump about the search warrant, but wasn't allowed to.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 10th August 2023, 07:51 AM   #373
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

I don't think there would have been any problem if they had just gone to the judge and said, can we get a couple extra days to get things in order? Judges grant extensions all the time, and Beryl would have probably said, ok, when can you have it done?

But no, they got belligerent about it, and the judge wasn't pleased.

The referenced article also points out that Musk wanted to inform Trump about the search warrant, but wasn't allowed to.
Fair enough, you've convinced me. This whole thing stinks of Musk's particular brand of brain-worms, deliberate obstinance does seem more likely.
Old 10th August 2023, 11:06 AM   #374
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Well, technically the U.S. was attacked by Japan, but Pearl Harbor (or any of the surrounding area) was never occupied. (I assume the opening post was referring to some sort of occupation or long-term political control by fascists when they used the phrase 'experienced fascism'.

That is perhaps a little bit more relevant... American land was occupied for several months (and American citizens were under the "control" of the Japanese military.) I think the isolated nature of the islands and the small population base makes that particular incident of the war easy to overlook.

I think the original post had sound reasoning... that the lack of SIGNFICANT exposure to fascism may have affected American's perception of the dangers. The problem is the absolute nature of "never experiencing fascism on its soil", which was incorrect from a technical point of view.
I have no argument with the intended point of "the lack of SIGNFICANT exposure to fascism may have affected American's perception of the dangers."

It's sad to see Italy, which certainly suffered the effects of Fascism, elect the nouveau fascism of Giorgia Meloni.
Old 10th August 2023, 12:21 PM   #375
Paul2
Philosopher

Jack Smith wants the J6 trial to start on Jan 2 2024, figures 4 to 6 weeks to present evidence.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/10/polit...sal/index.html

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2023, 12:46 PM   #376
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Jack Smith wants the J6 trial to start on Jan 2 2024, figures 4 to 6 weeks to present evidence.

Hopefully Trump will need to be in a court of some kind every day of 2024 until Nov 5th.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2023, 12:55 PM   #377
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And Trump's lawyers will do everything possible to delay it into the primaries so they can claim, "See? We told you it's all election interference."
Old 10th August 2023, 01:01 PM   #378
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

Why the hell does it need to take so long???

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2023, 01:04 PM   #379
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
That doesn't seem that long. That's 5 months from now.
Old 10th August 2023, 01:15 PM   #380
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Also, the Japanese system, prior to WW2, was not fascism. It was feudalism. Not that that is really any better, but it is still a different thing.

Hans
Old 10th August 2023, 01:16 PM   #381
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

The United States had an active domestic fascist project, which really only became unfashionable after WWII started and everyone decided that fascists were the baddies. Lots of rich American industrialists specifically were cheering on fascists abroad and domestically in the prewar years.
Old 10th August 2023, 06:32 PM   #382
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).

A hearing on the matter will be held on Friday before Chutkan.

https://apnews.com/article/6a16656a7...626dc5b56f5588
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2023, 06:57 PM   #383
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Also, the Japanese system, prior to WW2, was not fascism. It was feudalism. Not that that is really any better, but it is still a different thing.

Hans
True, but they were allies of the Fascists.
Old 10th August 2023, 07:15 PM   #384
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
A hearing on the matter will be held on Friday before Chutkan.

https://apnews.com/article/6a16656a7...626dc5b56f5588
I don’t think that hearing will be about the trial date. It is in regards to the protective order.
Old 10th August 2023, 07:19 PM   #385
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
That doesn't seem that long. That's 5 months from now.
My question also. I don't think it's unusual to take that long, but why? As far as I know, they have everything they need to proceed. Is it a rule or something that they can't bump other trials to make room for this one?

I'm amused at The FPDJT's rant -- "It's right after the first of the year!" Well, it'll always be around something significant.
Old 10th August 2023, 07:23 PM   #386
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I'm amused at The FPDJT's rant -- "It's right after the first of the year!" Well, it'll always be around something significant.
It's going to just ruin his New Years party!

eta: Melania was going to make a seven layer dip!
Old 10th August 2023, 08:53 PM   #387
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If trump plays it right, he could be sentenced for a long prison term just in time for Good Friday.

Just so everyone gets his self-reference to Jesus better.
Old 10th August 2023, 09:43 PM   #388
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don’t think that hearing will be about the trial date. It is in regards to the protective order.
Ah, thanks, my bad.

The judge is expected to set the trial date at a hearing on August 28.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2023, 11:02 PM   #389
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Because there are a million documents to go through in pre-trial discovery, and there is no way around the fact that it all has to be read and understood.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2023, 11:36 PM   #390
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Because there are a million documents to go through in pre-trial discovery, and there is no way around the fact that it all has to be read and understood.
And the Trump team is kept intentionally small so that they have an excuse for taking forever to do it.
Old 11th August 2023, 02:12 AM   #391
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post

Hans
No, I think it is better thought of as a kind of fascism (nationalistic, racist, supremacist and imperialist with a strong corporatist economy on top), and it was absolutely not feudalist since the Meiji Restoration.
Old 11th August 2023, 02:16 AM   #392
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It's going to just ruin his New Years party!

eta: Melania was going to make a seven layer dip!
A beautiful dip. The best dip. People are talking about this dip. It has to be tasers to be believed, believe me. Not like “doctor” Jill Biden’s boring and poisonous dip. Or Hunter Biden’s criminal dip of crack cocaine and low-quality prostitutes.
Old 11th August 2023, 05:13 AM   #393
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
If trump plays it right, he could be sentenced for a long prison term just in time for Good Friday.

Just so everyone gets his self-reference to Jesus better.
If that happens I'm going to celebrate by eating so many chocolate bunnies! I wonder if I can get a chocolate orange bunny? A new tradition could emerge!
Old 11th August 2023, 05:15 AM   #394
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

My question also. I don't think it's unusual to take that long, but why? As far as I know, they have everything they need to proceed. Is it a rule or something that they can't bump other trials to make room for this one?

Trial by jury happens pretty rarely in our "plead guilty or we'll stack enough charges you'll die in prison for jaywalking" justice system, that when it does happen it's kind of a huge pain in the ass.

Despite our massively huge carceral state, we don't really have that much capacity for actual trials.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 11th August 2023 at 05:16 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2023, 07:24 AM   #395
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If that happens I'm going to celebrate by eating so many chocolate bunnies! I wonder if I can get a chocolate orange bunny? A new tradition could emerge!
I'd be careful, could ruin your taste for chocolate and oranges forever.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2023, 10:27 AM   #396
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

It's mostly for the defense. There's a lot of prep work that goes into a trial. Things like interviewing witnesses, reviewing documents/footage, exploring legal options and case law, and sometimes even mock trials to see how a potential jury responds to certain strategies. You won't see much of this on Law & Order.
Old 11th August 2023, 10:38 AM   #397
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Cases like these, where the crime is very serious and guilt is perfectly obvious but admitting or denying that fact can be driven by political motivations, make me worry about the concept of relying on a jury where unanimity is required so it only takes one liar to ruin it all.

Last edited by Delvo; 11th August 2023 at 11:57 AM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2023, 10:44 AM   #398
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

On the UK the judge can ask the jury for a majority verdict, one hold out doesn't mean a mistrial. Isn't that a thing in the USA?
Old 11th August 2023, 11:25 AM   #399
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
An interesting read, not so much for what it says, but more for who is saying it...

Quote:
Two prominent conservative law professors have concluded that Donald J. Trump is ineligible to be president under a provision of the Constitution that bars people who have engaged in an insurrection from holding government office. The professors are active members of the Federalist Society, the conservative legal group, and proponents of originalism, the method of interpretation that seeks to determine the Constitution’s original meaning.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...2b8b3121&ei=18
Old 11th August 2023, 11:33 AM   #400
jt512
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
On the UK the judge can ask the jury for a majority verdict, one hold out doesn't mean a mistrial. Isn't that a thing in the USA?

No.
jt512 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics