IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd August 2023, 05:36 PM   #161
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Trump is a religion?
Trump isn't a religion, but Trumpism/MAGA is. It's a cult.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2023, 05:43 PM   #162
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Trump has pled not guilty.

Trump "sat stern-faced with his hands folded, shaking his head at times as he conferred with an attorney and occasionally glancing around the courtroom as his court appearance began. He stood up to enter his “not guilty” plea, answered perfunctory questions from the judge and thanked her at the conclusion of the arraignment."

https://apnews.com/article/a79f2d368...635c9b3d870070
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2023, 05:44 PM   #163
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The next hearing in this case is on August 28.
Old 3rd August 2023, 05:45 PM   #164
sackett
Philosopher

Aw ye of piddling faith

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump isn't a religion, but Trumpism/MAGA is. It's a cult.
I've GooGooed for "a prayer to Trump," but haven't come up with one. Yet.

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2023, 05:45 PM   #165
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Quote:
He was released on conditions, including that he he not have contact about the case with any witnesses unless attorneys are present.

“If you fail to comply with any conditions of your release, a warrant may be issued for your arrest,” Magistrate Judge Moxila A. Upadhyaya told him.
https://apnews.com/article/e64fbee9c...8edb5265d12b07
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2023, 05:47 PM   #166
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

You're not taking into account all those people that live in a right wing bubble. That only get their news (I'm being generous calling it news) from FOX, OAN, NEWSMAX, etc.

Remember what Paul said.

I have squandered my resistance
For a pocketful of mumbles
Such are promises
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
The refrain is quite appropriate here, too.

Lie, la Lie.
Old 3rd August 2023, 06:51 PM   #167
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You're not taking into account all those people that live in a right wing bubble. That only get their news (I'm being generous calling it news) from FOX, OAN, NEWSMAX, etc.

Remember what Paul said.

I have squandered my resistance
For a pocketful of mumbles
Such are promises
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The refrain is quite appropriate here, too.

Lie, la Lie.
Old 3rd August 2023, 07:45 PM   #168
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
I've GooGooed for "a prayer to Trump," but haven't come up with one. Yet.
Our MAGA, who art in Florida
Hallowed be thy name
Thy presidency come, thy whim be done
On Earth as it is within these United States of America
Give us this day our daily truths
And mock those who are weaker
As we mock those who are weaker than us
For thine is the presidency, the power and glory
For ever and ever
Amen.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2023, 09:33 PM   #169
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Hallowed be thy name
For ever and ever
Amen.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2023, 11:34 PM   #170
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

More from Pence

Quote:
President Trump was wrong in saying that I had some right to overturn the election. My duty on January wasn’t a belief, it’s the law and the history of this Country.
Old 4th August 2023, 07:38 AM   #171
Hercules56
Philosopher

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documen...0-election.pdf

I just read the whole indictment. Trump and Co. did indeed attempt to send FAKE electoral votes to Pence, to be viewed as alternate slates of electors, which was ILLEGAL as there is a legal way to do this, and the Gov and Secr of State of each state has to sign of on this, which was not done. This was indeed election fraud.

Did Trump encourage the mob on 1/6 to go to Congress and stop their certification of Biden as the winner? Yes. It does seem that way. Even though he urged them to be peaceful (after they were violent for some time), he still urged them to go to Congress and obstruct the legal preceedings to count the only legally submitted electoral votes. Trump also repeatedly urged Pence to violate the law and the ECA, and reject the legal electoral votes on his own, which he had no authority to do.

So yeah, it seems the indictment for the fake electors, threatening the GA Secr of State and Governor, and the indictment for his actions specifically on 1/6 are legit.

He is toast.

Last edited by Hercules56; 4th August 2023 at 07:39 AM.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2023, 07:57 AM   #172
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is a religion?
More or less. The unifying trait in MAGA world is religious zeal. And Trump is worshipped like a demigod.
Old 4th August 2023, 08:01 AM   #173
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56
He is toast.
Agreed. Virtually guaranteed to get a firm swat on the butt with a rolled up newspaper, then back to being fellated by legions of supporters, except Melania.

We are toast.
Old 4th August 2023, 08:07 AM   #174
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Did Trump encourage the mob on 1/6 to go to Congress and stop their certification of Biden as the winner? Yes. It does seem that way. Even though he urged them to be peaceful (after they were violent for some time)...
That he wanted his mob to be peaceful is debatable.

Yes, Trump did at some points use words that sounded like he wanted non-violent action. But:

- He also used phrases like "fight like hell", and "you won't have a republican party if you don't get tougher". Phrasing like 'fight' and 'tough' are contradictory to the phrasing of 'peaceful'.

- He suggested they disconnect the metal detectors at his rallies (because "they aren't here to hurt me", hinting that he knew the crowd had weapons)

- He knew what his supporters were like (remember, once of them sent a pipe bomb to media organizers after all his "fake news" claims). "My pit bull has rabies, but I told him to sit and be good, so I can't be blamed if he attacks someone"

- He has called for violence in the past (for example telling people that if the assault protestors at his rallies he will pay for their defense). Even if he called for "peace" THIS time, some of his supporters probably remember the times where he did say "violence is good'.

- once violence DID occur he did nothing to curtail it for over an hour (no tweets asking people to pull back, no emergency new broadcast asking people to leave the capitol building, etc.) despite being urged to by multiple people. Which means that at the very least he approved of the violence while it was happening. "I didn't initially want them to beat up police but its cool that they did" isn't a very good defense.

- At the very end, after multiple police officers were assaulted, after windows were smashed and feces smeared on the walls, he told the protestors he "loved them". And he has suggested he will pardon some/all of the terrorists.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2023, 08:12 AM   #175
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Yes, Trump did at some points use words that sounded like he wanted non-violent action. But:

- He also used phrases like "fight like hell", and "you won't have a republican party if you don't get tougher". Phrasing like 'fight' and 'tough' are contradictory to the phrasing of 'peaceful'.

- He suggested they disconnect the metal detectors at his rallies (because "they aren't here to hurt me", hinting that he knew the crowd had weapons)

- He knew what his supporters were like (remember, once of them sent a pipe bomb to media organizers after all his "fake news" claims). "My pit bull has rabies, but I told him to sit and be good, so I can't be blamed if he attacks someone"

- He has called for violence in the past (for example telling people that if the assault protestors at his rallies he will pay for their defense). Even if he called for "peace" THIS time, some of his supporters probably remember the times where he did say "violence is good'.

- once violence DID occur he did nothing to curtail it for over an hour (no tweets asking people to pull back, no emergency new broadcast asking people to leave the capitol building, etc.) despite being urged to by multiple people. Which means that at the very least he approved of the violence while it was happening. "I didn't initially want them to beat up police but its cool that they did" isn't a very good defense.

- At the very end, after multiple police officers were assaulted, after windows were smashed and feces smeared on the walls, he told the protestors he "loved them". And he has suggested he will pardon some/all of the terrorists.
Never has a man so obviously turbulent priested without knowing the word "turbulent".
Old 4th August 2023, 08:13 AM   #176
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Unfortunately in our current ****** political discourse, terms like "fight" are very often metaphors for strong aggressive non-violent action. I think Trump has some plausible deniability regarding accusations that he literally called for violence.

He can claim that he meant he wanted folks to go into the Senate chamber and demand that he me made President, or that the electoral votes be sent back to the states, or that the 6 states get debates by Congress, etc, without violence. Just yelling and screaming and peaceful pressure. Which is of course illegal as its illegal to disrupt the electoral count process.
Old 4th August 2023, 08:21 AM   #177
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Unfortunately in our current ****** political discourse, terms like "fight" are very often metaphors for strong aggressive non-violent action. I think Trump has some plausible deniability regarding accusations that he literally called for violence.

He can claim that he meant he wanted folks to go into the Senate chamber and demand that he me made President, or that the electoral votes be sent back to the states, or that the 6 states get debates by Congress, etc, without violence. Just yelling and screaming and peaceful pressure. Which is of course illegal as its illegal to disrupt the electoral count process.
What’s the alternative interpretation of “fight like hell” when said to a mob just before directing them to the Capitol where an election certification they’ve been told is fraudulent is taking place?

Last edited by johnny karate; 4th August 2023 at 08:27 AM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2023, 08:22 AM   #178
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Never has a man so obviously turbulent priested without knowing the word "turbulent".
Or priest.
Old 4th August 2023, 08:28 AM   #179
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

First of all, how words like 'fight' are interpreted will depend on context. As I said before, his supporters have been known to engage in violence in the past, (and Trump himself has encouraged it as well), so the word 'fight' will be taken in a different light than if (for example) an Amish person uses it.

Secondly, it seems like you have ignored other points I made... in particular how he failed to react to the violence once it started and how he told the terrorists he loved them. That indicates an approval for their violent actions (If he really did want things to remain peaceful, he should have jumped on twitter the moment the first window was broken with a "Cool it guys, that's not what I wanted".)

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2023, 08:40 AM   #180
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I can cherry pick too. Violent or not from that speech alone it's a mixed message at best.

Turn off the metal detectors, they aren't after me.

And the clincher, waiting almost 3 hours to put a stop to it.

Oh, and there was a purposeful effort to limit police backup IIRC from the committee testimony.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th August 2023 at 08:43 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2023, 08:40 AM   #181
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder, will the DOJ witnesses include the guys who, in their own Jan 6 trials, testified that the reason they went into the Capitol building is because Trump told them to?

We can debate over what he said and stuff, but if the question is whether his words incited people to riot, we actually already have testimony from federal court that says they did.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2023, 08:49 AM   #182
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
What’s the alternative interpretation of “fight like hell” when said to a mob just before directing them to the Capitol where an election certification they’ve been told is fraudulent is taking place?
You know very well that "fight like hell" need not be taken literally to mean "punch and kick".
Old 4th August 2023, 09:51 AM   #183
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's defense lawyer went on Fox News and described Trump doing exactly what he's accused of in the indictment.

(Link is to Lawrence O'Donnel on MSNBC.)
Old 4th August 2023, 09:58 AM   #184
johnny karate

You know very well that "fight like hell" need not be taken literally to mean "punch and kick".
In the abstract, yes. But we’re talking about a very specific context. In that context, what is the non-violent interpretation?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2023, 10:04 AM   #185
lobosrul5
Philosopher

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documen...0-election.pdf

I just read the whole indictment. Trump and Co. did indeed attempt to send FAKE electoral votes to Pence, to be viewed as alternate slates of electors, which was ILLEGAL as there is a legal way to do this, and the Gov and Secr of State of each state has to sign of on this, which was not done. This was indeed election fraud.

Did Trump encourage the mob on 1/6 to go to Congress and stop their certification of Biden as the winner? Yes. It does seem that way. Even though he urged them to be peaceful (after they were violent for some time), he still urged them to go to Congress and obstruct the legal preceedings to count the only legally submitted electoral votes. Trump also repeatedly urged Pence to violate the law and the ECA, and reject the legal electoral votes on his own, which he had no authority to do.

So yeah, it seems the indictment for the fake electors, threatening the GA Secr of State and Governor, and the indictment for his actions specifically on 1/6 are legit.

He is toast.
Does not matter if it was peaceful. He was attempting to defraud the electorate. The people that voted for the other guy. Including me. He attempted to defraud me.

I actually think if anything we are taking this far, FAR, less seriously. Because its Trump, and he's been spouting crazy ass terrible BS since before he was elected in 2016. If this had happened in isolation, back in more normal times, I think whoever did it would be already be in prison. But he's conditioned us to accept a level of crazy we never did before.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2023, 10:07 AM   #186
Hercules56
Philosopher

In the abstract, yes. But we’re talking about a very specific context. In that context, what is the non-violent interpretation?
Verbally and emotionally "fight like hell" to get the Congress to not accept the electoral count of the 6 states. Yell, scream, protest, sit on the Senate chamber floor and have a hissy fit.

Or Trump could finally explain what EXACTLY he wanted his protestors to do.
Old 4th August 2023, 10:15 AM   #187
johnny karate

Verbally and emotionally "fight like hell" to get the Congress to not accept the electoral count of the 6 states. Yell, scream, protest, sit on the Senate chamber floor and have a hissy fit.

And how were these people supposed to get into the Senate chamber - where they were not legally allowed and was guarded by law enforcement - non-violently?
Old 4th August 2023, 10:19 AM   #188
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
…. Those states where GOP legislators control the voting certification could be a real problem….
The Dems must factor that into which states they devote how many resources.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2023, 10:25 AM   #189
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I just think Democracy in the US is a lot toughter then a lot of people here think.
Perhaps, and we don’t want to find out where its breaking point actually is.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Paul2; 4th August 2023 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2023, 10:38 AM   #190
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
BTW, nobody has ever called me Ginger and got away with it.
It takes a Ginger to call another Ginger Ginger.

h/r Tim Minchin

Old 4th August 2023, 11:00 AM   #191
Paul2
Philosopher

Trump is a religion?
Our Trump who art the REAL President,

hallowed be thy name.

Thy dictatorship come.

Thy will be done 
in Washington DC as it is on the Left Coast. 

Give us this day our daily crumbs, 

and forgive us our doubts about all your lies, boorishness, unindicted crimes, indictments, fines, and convictions,

as we never forgive those who trespass against us, 

and lead us not into democracy, 

but deliver us from classic liberalism.

For thine is the Administration
and the power,
and the glory, 

forever and ever.

Fake news.

Old 4th August 2023, 11:03 AM   #192
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Hallowed be thy name
For ever and ever
Amen.
Ninja’ed! Rats. Combine our two and we’d have one solid contribution.

Old 4th August 2023, 11:24 AM   #193
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
And how were these people supposed to get into the Senate chamber - where they were not legally allowed and was guarded by law enforcement - non-violently?
Couldn't the protestors just tell the police to "stand down"?

(I have seen people claim that the January 6th terrorists weren't guilty because "they told police to stand down", a claim that is as dumb as it sounds.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 4th August 2023, 11:36 AM   #194
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

And as I pointed out before... How a person will take a phrase like 'fight like hell' depends on context.

A group of people beholden to Trump, many of whom had engaged in violence before, and who had chanted "hang mike pence" are more likely going to take words like 'fight' to mean "punch and kick" than your average non MAGAchud..

As another poster pointed out... how exactly were they supposed to accomplish his goal of "stopping the count" WITHOUT violence. The room where the votes were counted had limited access. Yelling and screaming would not likely have been heard. And they could not get in to sit on the senate floor without breaking past the police.
Quote:
The fact that Trump told the terrorists he "loved them" AFTER they had assaulted police, broke windows, and smeared feces on the walls of the capitol, is a pretty good indication that the protestors were doing exactly what he wanted them to do.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 4th August 2023, 12:17 PM   #195
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump deliberately couched his speech in terms that would give him plausible deniability. "Fight like hell", as pointed out, can be interpreted as figurative and literal which is why he used it. Arguing over what he 'really' meant is a waste of time. He wasn't charged with 'inciting a riot' because he made no clear and overt statements of promoting or calling for violence. We can believe, as I do, that his intention was for the crowd to do exactly what they did, but it cannot be proved BARD due to the wording he so carefully used.

"(b) As used in this chapter, the term "to incite a riot", or "to organize, promote, encourage, participate in, or carry on a riot", includes, but is not limited to, urging or instigating other persons to riot, but shall not be deemed to mean the mere oral or written (1) advocacy of ideas or (2) expression of belief, not involving advocacy of any act or acts of violence or assertion of the rightness of, or the right to commit, any such act or acts.
(18 USC Ch. 102: RIOTS
From Title 18—CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE)
Old 4th August 2023, 01:28 PM   #196
Tero
Illuminator

Trump says the government is interfering with elections. His electing himself back. What about the rest of us? Trump voters are only 40%.

He should have thought of that while he could still make himself a dictator.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/

Last edited by Tero; 4th August 2023 at 01:38 PM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2023, 01:41 PM   #197
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Trump says the government is interfering with elections. His electing himself back. What about the rest of us? Trump voters are only 40%.

He should have thought of that while he could still make himself a dictator.
The two Federal indictments would have come months or even years earlier if Trump didn't stall the process with constant motions to stop witness testimony due to Executive Privilege and other failed legal schemes to muck up the process.
Old 4th August 2023, 11:36 PM   #198
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Point 87 of the indictment document has Trump repeatedly urging his supporters in late December to go to Washington on Jan 6 to protest the "stolen election". "Will be wild".

The "fight like hell" is not a lone item, which is good for the prosecution.
Old 5th August 2023, 12:47 AM   #199
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

For the Conspiracy Charge, it's perfectly sufficient to show that his speech was in furtherance of his efforts to pressure Pence and Representatives into illegally stopping the certification, through intimidation and/or violence.

It is not necessary to show that Trump wanted them to hang Pence.
Old 5th August 2023, 02:24 AM   #200
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Point 87 of the indictment document has Trump repeatedly urging his supporters in late December to go to Washington on Jan 6 to protest the "stolen election". "Will be wild".

The "fight like hell" is not a lone item, which is good for the prosecution.
Yes, there's also "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics