IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th August 2023, 12:51 PM   #281
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
ITTL also missed the fact that "this" was a video from two years ago, so it cannot be referring to the current indictments

....Oopsie

The Stepford Newscaster broadcasts in the video were originally in early 2018, so it's even older.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2023, 12:53 PM   #282
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I agree that this breaches Upadhyaya's orders and he should be remanded into custody.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2023, 01:06 PM   #283
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
Here's his post about removing the judge
It's amazing how 'everybody knows' whatever Trump 'knows'.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2023, 01:09 PM   #284
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_hGKT5FI78

Altogether now;

"This is extremely dangerous to our democracy".
Interesting that you post a video of lockstep statements from Sinclair stations. Are you familiar with the political leanings of Sinclair's broadcasting?

EDIT: I see that I was scooped by Armitage72.

Last edited by gnome; 6th August 2023 at 01:12 PM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2023, 01:36 PM   #285
Paul2
Philosopher

Donald Trump says he will ask the Judge to step aside

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66422516
Holding my breath I'm not.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2023, 01:56 PM   #286
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

What I find ridiculous is the moronic argument Trump's lawyers keep making on the right wing news shows. That Trump was merely exercising his First Amendment right to free speech. As if conspiring with others to overturn an election is protected speech.
Old 6th August 2023, 02:37 PM   #287
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Remember when he gave this answer to a question?

Q: Will you commit to a peaceful transfer of power after the election?

TRUMP: "We're gonna have to see what happens."
Old 6th August 2023, 03:09 PM   #288
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
What I find ridiculous is the moronic argument Trump's lawyers keep making on the right wing news shows. That Trump was merely exercising his First Amendment right to free speech. As if conspiring with others to overturn an election is protected speech.
They aren't arguing in court. They are performing political propaganda theater for the masses. Notice how certain news media keep repeating the same charge? And other news media play the soundbites, a few even point out how Smith addressed the BS in his indictment. And yet said news media continues to repeat the soundbites.

Yes, yes they have discussions about why it isn't a free speech issue but then they go back to repeating the soundbites. Trump's lawyers know very well what they are doing. They are amplifying propaganda to the masses, not to the judge.

Maybe it's to please Trump. Maybe it's to keep his campaign for POTUS viable. Maybe it's with some small hope of tainting the DC jury pool.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2023, 03:16 PM   #289
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
The indictment document literally says Trump had a right to make false claims (point 3), but he did not have a right to conspire to defraud and obstruct democracy and interfere with people's right to vote.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2023, 03:24 PM   #290
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

I'm not sure if we are thinking along the same line, I'm sarcasm challenged. But I'm bummed to see people being a bit too harsh IMO considering the circumstances.
If you're detecting generosity of spirit in my post, then yes, you're sarcasm challenged.
Old 6th August 2023, 03:59 PM   #291
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I'm missing something here. What does a montage of news people saying the same trendy phrases have to do with anything? That journalists lack originality? That one makes an observation and 50 others repeat it? So?
The station owner, the conservative owner of the Sinclair Broadcast Group, made them all say that.

ETA: Ninja'd

IIDB is back, baby!

Last edited by ZiprHead; 6th August 2023 at 04:02 PM.
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2023, 04:27 PM   #292
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

They are amplifying propaganda to the masses, not to the judge.
The winning move here for Trump, Giuliani, Eastman, Powell, Clark, Chesebro, & Epshteyn is simple: drag out the trial, win in 2024, and pardon all involved. Makes perfect sense to me that they'd focus on that approach rather than winning in court.
Old 6th August 2023, 04:56 PM   #293
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
The winning move here for Trump, Giuliani, Eastman, Powell, Clark, Chesebro, & Epshteyn is simple: drag out the trial, win in 2024, and pardon all involved. Makes perfect sense to me that they'd focus on that approach rather than winning in court.
That would be the winning move. I grant you that. But that move doesn’t look available to them. Right now it looks like they are in zugzwang.

To begin with, the only one of those people that have been indicted so far. And by all appearances Trump is going be tried alone. They will try the others later.
Old 6th August 2023, 05:07 PM   #294
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

That would be the winning move. I grant you that. But that move doesn’t look available to them. Right now it looks like they are in zugzwang.

To begin with, the only one of those people that have been indicted so far. And by all appearances Trump is going be tried alone. They will try the others later.
Only if they don't flip first. Some might. But Rudi is too crazy.
Old 6th August 2023, 05:08 PM   #295
dirtywick
Philosopher

i think it's their only viable option. there isn't any indication that they are going to attempt to deny they did what they're accused of. which makes sense in light of the overwhelming evidence
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2023, 05:36 PM   #296
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Only if they don't flip first. Some might. But Rudi is too crazy.
I hate thinking that a single person in that group will avoid a prison term less than ten years. But I'd be open to any one of them flipping and providing the nail in Trump's coffin.

But after reading the indictment it looks as if there are plenty of nails already.
Old 6th August 2023, 07:39 PM   #297
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

He's awake again
Did he ever call for a federal takeover of Washington DC before this case began? Even before the indictment? I never heard about it before recently and can't find anything about it. The only thing I can find is in Summer 2020 he floated the idea of the feds temporarily taking over the DC Metro police in order to quell the George Floyd protests.

I think he's just making it up as he goes along.
Old 6th August 2023, 08:18 PM   #298
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Did he ever call for a federal takeover of Washington DC before this case began? Even before the indictment? I never heard about it before recently and can't find anything about it. The only thing I can find is in Summer 2020 he floated the idea of the feds temporarily taking over the DC Metro police in order to quell the George Floyd protests.

I think he's just making it up as he goes along..
No doubt. Trump will say anything if it serves him.
Old 6th August 2023, 08:43 PM   #299
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

No doubt. Trump will say anything if it serves him in that moment.
Polite FTFY

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2023, 08:44 PM   #300
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I think he's just making it up as he goes along.
To be fair, it's the only thing he's ever done.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2023, 02:19 AM   #301
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's amazing how 'everybody knows' whatever Trump 'knows'.
Thought broadcasting: a symptom of psychosis...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2023, 11:31 AM   #302
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Jack Smith Has an Indictment. Trump Has a Massive Plan for Revenge

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...nt-1234800968/
Old 7th August 2023, 11:49 AM   #303
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Paywalled, cannot read it. But... jesus if Trump gets back in the WH in 2025 its going to be so so ugly. Putting a petty little man in the Whitehouse hellbent for revenge with 10's of millions of fawning sycophants. Its just... I don't think any of us can really comprehend how bad it will be.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2023, 01:05 PM   #304
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

From the link:
Quote:
The preparations have been underway since at least last year, with Trump being briefed on the designs by an array of attorneys, political and policy advisers, former administration officials, and other allies.
How does this creep have so many followers? Is it just hate for Democrats? Is it purely brainwashing? Are they really that stupid?

Someone needs to point out more loudly that aside from the prosecutor, all of the witnesses against Trump are republicans.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2023, 04:02 PM   #305
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

I'm missing something here. What does a montage of news people saying the same trendy phrases have to do with anything? That journalists lack originality? That one makes an observation and 50 others repeat it? So?
It's not just a matter of lack of originality. As others have pointed out these are Sinclair Media stations and they are all reading a script sent to them by Sinclair Media. These "must-reads" are something Sinclair does a lot as a way to push far right propaganda into what seems like local news segments.
Old 7th August 2023, 06:09 PM   #306
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Paywalled, cannot read it. ....
Oddly not paywalled for me.
Old 7th August 2023, 06:18 PM   #307
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Oddly not paywalled for me.
It is pay-walled, but the first several articles are free. Once you hit the free limit, you are blocked (until you clear your cookies for the site).

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2023, 06:44 PM   #308
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
It is pay-walled, but the first several articles are free. Once you hit the free limit, you are blocked (until you clear your cookies for the site).
Another option, I search for the headline and sometimes find a nested version.

Yahoo report on RS article
Old 7th August 2023, 07:34 PM   #309
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

From the link:
How does this creep have so many followers? Is it just hate for Democrats? Is it purely brainwashing? Are they really that stupid?

Someone needs to point out more loudly that aside from the prosecutor, all of the witnesses against Trump are republicans.
It's hatred, pure and simple. These people are in search of something, anything, to blame for their various predicaments. Trump just points and says "There is your problem!" So it doesn't matter who the targets are - Dems, RINOs, LGBTQI+, aliens, or Sasquatch. Anything but taking responsibility for their own problems.

For Trump personally, it is anyone who says "No" to him or makes fun of him or belittles him in any way. And as we have seen with his niece, that includes his own family. He will have revenge! Because he is a very nasty piece of work.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2023, 07:46 PM   #310
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
It's not just a matter of lack of originality. As others have pointed out these are Sinclair Media stations and they are all reading a script sent to them by Sinclair Media. These "must-reads" are something Sinclair does a lot as a way to push far right propaganda into what seems like local news segments.
OK, but that seems awfully off-message for that poster. More than half the stations in the montage were Fox. Is the message supposed to be that Fox is therefore demonstrably untrustworthy? Bought and paid for by their corporate owners and consequently not reliable as a media source?
Old 7th August 2023, 08:41 PM   #311
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

OK, but that seems awfully off-message for that poster. More than half the stations in the montage were Fox. Is the message supposed to be that Fox is therefore demonstrably untrustworthy? Bought and paid for by their corporate owners and consequently not reliable as a media source?
There are apparently Sinclair stations that are Fox affiliates. link
Old 7th August 2023, 09:26 PM   #312
dirtywick
Philosopher

to most people fox news and the local fox 12 are much different things. fox news is this scary, white nationy, psychotic guys getting in angry political arguments and fox 12 is a fun channel that plays the game and then the simpsons and local news.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2023, 11:06 PM   #313
Susheel
Illuminator

I dont think Trump or his current crop of lawyers are really focusing on the court trial. I think his team has strategized a media trial with Trump, his lawyers and other allies will inundate the news networks like Fox, Newsmax, (even CNN) right wing radio and podcasts to disseminate their whingey ********. I think a lot of it is to sway the GOP and ensure his primary candidacy. Once the GOP officially endorses him, there is a good chance that even his most ardent detractors will decide to pack away the little used spine that they dusted out and began sporting a few months ago. Then he hopes the gerrymandering and some shenanigans might help him win. Until then his main strategy re: the courts will be to delay, confuse and obfuscate.
Old 7th August 2023, 11:55 PM   #314
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
I dont think Trump or his current crop of lawyers are really focusing on the court trial. I think his team has strategized a media trial with Trump, his lawyers and other allies will inundate the news networks like Fox, Newsmax, (even CNN) right wing radio and podcasts to disseminate their whingey ********. I think a lot of it is to sway the GOP and ensure his primary candidacy. Once the GOP officially endorses him, there is a good chance that even his most ardent detractors will decide to pack away the little used spine that they dusted out and began sporting a few months ago. Then he hopes the gerrymandering and some shenanigans might help him win. Until then his main strategy re: the courts will be to delay, confuse and obfuscate.
Indeed. They will attempt to try the case in the media in order to pollute the jury pool as much as they can.

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 12:30 AM   #315
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed. They will attempt to try the case in the media in order to pollute the jury pool as much as they can.
And that is precisely what the judge has said they must NOT do. Hence the ongoing Trothe Sential provocation: "Jail me, judge! I DARE YOU!"

Problem for Trump is he is not expecting it will happen. But this judge quite possibly will. And once in the slammer then his communication channels can be severely curtailed, or even stopped.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 01:25 AM   #316
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
And that is precisely what the judge has said they must NOT do. Hence the ongoing Trothe Sential provocation: "Jail me, judge! I DARE YOU!"

Problem for Trump is he is not expecting it will happen. But this judge quite possibly will. And once in the slammer then his communication channels can be severely curtailed, or even stopped.
And he knows he will get away with it because even if the judge is brave enough to hold him to account, one of the two major political parties in the US will do everything possible to enable him.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 01:52 AM   #317
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Maybe they are playing con the con man. As long as the attorneys' fees are paid in advance, they just need to keep feeding that narcissist that's he's being tweeted so unfairy.

Or maybe since he is likely to win the GOP nomination , it's a hail Mary they can get him elected. Then all the grifters can feed off the taxpayer trough. I hear government contracts are very profitable.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th August 2023 at 01:54 AM.
Old 8th August 2023, 02:00 AM   #318
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

I remain in the 'he's not going to earn pre-trial detention' camp. The ruckus would be deafening. You think it's bad now, imagine if one of these judges pulls the plug. And just how would those logistics go when he will be needed in multiple courts in multiple states, plus there is the SS.

Trump knows this, in fact he may even be looking at revoked bail as a step to get to a SCOTUS ruling. He does still see himself as POTUS.
Old 8th August 2023, 02:54 AM   #319
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I remain in the 'he's not going to earn pre-trial detention' camp. The ruckus would be deafening. You think it's bad now, imagine if one of these judges pulls the plug. And just how would those logistics go when he will be needed in multiple courts in multiple states, plus there is the SS.

Trump knows this, in fact he may even be looking at revoked bail as a step to get to a SCOTUS ruling. He does still see himself as POTUS.
Perhaps, but that would achieve little or nothing. A SCOTUS bail hearing won't delay or have any impact on the trial itself, and frankly, as conservative as this SCOTUS is, they have shown little inclination to pander to The Fat Orange Turd's tomfoolery.

Old 8th August 2023, 04:02 AM   #320
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Ninja’ed! Rats. Combine our two and we’d have one solid contribution.
Meh!
one can be the protestant version, the other for catholics.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics