IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th August 2023, 07:05 AM   #321
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
OK, but that seems awfully off-message for that poster. More than half the stations in the montage were Fox. Is the message supposed to be that Fox is therefore demonstrably untrustworthy? Bought and paid for by their corporate owners and consequently not reliable as a media source?
Presumably they had no idea what they were looking at and thought they were taking some sort of shot at "the mainstream media".
Old 8th August 2023, 07:47 AM   #322
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Presumably they had no idea what they were looking at and thought they were taking some sort of shot at "the mainstream media".
He’s not very good at this.
Old 8th August 2023, 09:20 AM   #323
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I remain in the 'he's not going to earn pre-trial detention' camp. The ruckus would be deafening. You think it's bad now, imagine if one of these judges pulls the plug. And just how would those logistics go when he will be needed in multiple courts in multiple states, plus there is the SS.

Trump knows this, in fact he may even be looking at revoked bail as a step to get to a SCOTUS ruling. He does still see himself as POTUS.
There must be procedures in place already for transporting the incarcerated to another one of their criminal trials.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 09:57 AM   #324
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I remain in the 'he's not going to earn pre-trial detention' camp. The ruckus would be deafening. You think it's bad now, imagine if one of these judges pulls the plug. And just how would those logistics go when he will be needed in multiple courts in multiple states, plus there is the SS.

Trump knows this, in fact he may even be looking at revoked bail as a step to get to a SCOTUS ruling. He does still see himself as POTUS.
On what grounds? SCOTUS doesn't even have legal grounds to hear such an appeal from Trump or his lawyers.

Bail is revoked on suspected criminals in courtrooms all over America. Almost on a daily basis. What makes Trump so special that he gets to endanger justice and society?
Old 8th August 2023, 10:12 AM   #325
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

He's awake again.

Quote:
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Let's see! My political Opponent, Crooked Joe Biden, tells Merrick Garland and the DOJ to indict and arrest me on bogus charges and accusations, trying desperately to steal the Election. But that wasn't enough! He now wants Thug Prosecutor, Deranged Jack Smith, to file for a Court Order taking away my first amendment rights, SPEECH. So, based on yet another Radical Left Hoax, I'll be the only "Politician" in American history not allowed to SPEAK. THE NEVER ENDING WITCH HUNT CONTINUES. MAGA!
Old 8th August 2023, 11:50 AM   #326
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
He's awake again.
Somebody needs to slip a valium into his diet Coke.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 11:58 AM   #327
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
There must be procedures in place already for transporting the incarcerated to another one of their criminal trials.
Of course, but 4 trials in 4 different states running concurrently?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 12:06 PM   #328
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
On what grounds? SCOTUS doesn't even have legal grounds to hear such an appeal from Trump or his lawyers.

Bail is revoked on suspected criminals in courtrooms all over America. Almost on a daily basis. What makes Trump so special that he gets to endanger justice and society?
[Highlights mine]

Surely you jest? Like it matters? (Choir here BTW)

It's not a free speech issue either and Trump isn't POTUS though he acts like he is. That's not stopping the Trump cadre of lawyers from making frequent talking heads speeches wherever they can get the media attention claiming it's a free speech issue. I imagine they already have that free speech appeal paperwork ready to go.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th August 2023 at 12:07 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 12:15 PM   #329
Paul2
Philosopher

Of course, but 4 trials in 4 different states running concurrently?
Presumably they will schedule the trials to not run concurrently. They presumably do that even if a defendant is not already incarcerated.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 12:44 PM   #330
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. The Federal Marshal Service runs a small and very efficient airline just for that purpose. They even make it available to states when they have open seats on the planes so they can bring back people with warrants.
Old 8th August 2023, 12:47 PM   #331
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Yes. The Federal Marshal Service runs a small and very efficient airline just for that purpose. They even make it available to states when they have open seats on the planes so they can bring back people with warrants.
Con Air?
Old 8th August 2023, 12:51 PM   #332
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Con Air?
Dude, thats just a movie. Its not a real life thing

Oh wait, you're right it actually is lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justic...%20the%20world.

Its like someone thought of the fact that sometimes prisoners need to be securely transported. And maybe our government is semi competent.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 01:16 PM   #333
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Paywalled, cannot read it. But... jesus if Trump gets back in the WH in 2025 its going to be so so ugly. Putting a petty little man in the Whitehouse hellbent for revenge with 10's of millions of fawning sycophants. Its just... I don't think any of us can really comprehend how bad it will be.
Strangely, I copied what I could see but it copied the entire article. Snap!

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 01:59 PM   #334
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justic...%20the%20world.

Its like someone thought of the fact that sometimes prisoners need to be securely transported. And maybe our government is semi competent.

I thought an alien transportation system would be something like this:
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 02:08 PM   #335
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Presumably they will schedule the trials to not run concurrently. They presumably do that even if a defendant is not already incarcerated.
True they will. The problem is, if he is put in custody now, there are still various pre-trial court appearances he may want/need to attend.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 02:22 PM   #336
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Perhaps a solution is to lock him up for just a few days, let him out with clear instructions, STFU or you'll be back.

He needs the consequences to be very concrete, otherwise he'll continue believing he can get away with anything, like he has always believed.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th August 2023 at 02:23 PM.
Old 8th August 2023, 03:11 PM   #337
Paul2
Philosopher

Perhaps a solution is to lock him up for just a few days, let him out with clear instructions, STFU or you'll be back.

He needs the consequences to be very concrete, otherwise he'll continue believing he can get away with anything, like he has always believed.
I heard somewhere along the way that this was a possibility, perhaps 3-5 days in the can as a likely starting point.

Old 8th August 2023, 03:55 PM   #338
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

[Highlights mine]

It does matter. Even to these judges. You should that SCOTUS has denied even hearing multiple Trump requests that have been out of line.
Old 8th August 2023, 05:34 PM   #339
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

A week, and not in GenPop but Solitary.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 06:16 PM   #340
Tero
Illuminator

I know Trump is dumb, but is it possible he does understand the word bail ? He somehow imagines there will be no trial?

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 06:48 PM   #341
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
I know Trump is dumb, but is it possible he does understand the word bail ? He somehow imagines there will be no trial?
His point is all this indictments are bogus, politically motivated, and evil. The worse the system treats him, the worse the system is in eyes of his audience. Doesn't matter that it's entirely his fault.
He will play it as bad as possible, betting it will help him win the election.
But then, if he gets jailed now, his campaign will get huge boost for few days .. but then his interviews and tweets will be gone. So maybe he's simply stupid.

Btw. the term "orange turd" will get new meaning if it happens (courtesy of Stable Diffusion).

Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 08:21 PM   #342
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. Put his fat orange arse behind bars for a few days.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 08:25 PM   #343
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yes. Put his fat orange arse behind bars for a few days life.
FTFY.
Old 8th August 2023, 09:12 PM   #344
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's very likely that Trump will die in jail, if he has to do any significant amount of time.
His fans will see that as Dems having assassinated their savior.

We have to face the fact that Trump will become a martyr - expect to see shrines dedicated to him.
Old 8th August 2023, 09:18 PM   #345
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's very likely that Trump will die in jail, if he has to do any significant amount of time.
His fans will see that as Dems having assassinated their savior.

We have to face the fact that Trump will become a martyr - expect to see shrines dedicated to him.
Fine, as long as we can inscribe them with "Orange you glad I wasn't reelected?"
Old 8th August 2023, 09:52 PM   #346
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Are prisoners allowed to have make-up?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 09:55 PM   #347
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
And covfefe?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 10:44 PM   #348
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I haven't spent a great deal of time in prisons but from what I've observed, sort of. I know they are restricted to items in the prison commissary but I've observed a certain um, type of prisoner wearing make up that I would assume is of their own creation.My visits were for work, mostly dropping off and I didn't stay for long or encounter that many inmates.

Last edited by Craig4; 8th August 2023 at 10:51 PM.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2023, 11:01 PM   #349
angrysoba
Philosophile

[QUOTE=Skeptic Ginger;14137005][Highlights mine]

It's not a free speech issue either and Trump isn't POTUS though he acts like he is. That's not stopping the Trump cadre of lawyers from making frequent talking heads speeches wherever they can get the media attention claiming it's a free speech issue. I imagine they already have that free speech appeal paperwork ready to go.[/quote]

[highlighted mine]

Surely Ye Jest!

Trump has never acted like he’s POTUS.
Old 8th August 2023, 11:10 PM   #350
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's clearly a problem that the rules of Free Speech are the same for a beggar in the streets and a man with the finger on nuclear launch button.

The same sentence coming from one will be seen as harmless, but a threat from the other.
Old 9th August 2023, 12:06 AM   #351
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Surely Ye Jest!

Trump has never acted like he’s POTUS.
He has always believed he is the king of his own cess-pitt. Just that he also gets insanely mad when the rest of us won't dive into it for him like we're at a swimming pool.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2023, 05:10 AM   #352
Tero
Illuminator

Trump posting his usual rants. He said he has "subpoena" when he really meant his lawyers are in the discovery phase.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2023, 06:01 AM   #353
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Did he ever call for a federal takeover of Washington DC before this case began? Even before the indictment? I never heard about it before recently and can't find anything about it. The only thing I can find is in Summer 2020 he floated the idea of the feds temporarily taking over the DC Metro police in order to quell the George Floyd protests.

I think he's just making it up as he goes along.
Isn't DC in the gift of the President as is?

Wait a minute, yes it is because that's how T****y boy was able to ensure that the Capitol was so unprotected on January 6th.
Old 9th August 2023, 06:03 AM   #354
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

From the link:
How does this creep have so many followers? Is it just hate for Democrats? Is it purely brainwashing? Are they really that stupid?

Someone needs to point out more loudly that aside from the prosecutor, all of the witnesses against Trump are republicans.
He's a pliable idiot, and nazism has a big following in the US
Old 9th August 2023, 06:23 AM   #355
sackett
Philosopher

Maybe not a big following,

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
He's a pliable idiot, and nazism has a big following in the US
but a visible and noisy one.

The USA is the only country that fought fascism successfully in WW2 without ever experiencing fascism on its own soil. (The UK saw the Channel Islands occupied, and caught Nazi hell first hand.) That may have something to do with the undoubted attraction fascism has for certain thin-witted types in America.

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2023, 02:37 PM   #356
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

He's off again

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

So now that I have full Subpoena Power because of the Freedom of Speech Sham Indictment by Crooked Joe Biden, Deranged Jack Smith, and the DOJ, it has just been reported that the Unselect January 6th Committee of Political Hacks and Thugs has illegally destroyed their Records and Documents. This is unthinkable, and the Fake Political Indictment against me must be immediately withdrawn. The system is Rigged & Corrupt, very much like the Presidential Election of 2020. We are a

Nation in Decline!
Old 9th August 2023, 02:39 PM   #357
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

"It has just been reported" is Trump speak for "I'm making it up."
Old 9th August 2023, 02:56 PM   #358
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

"nation in decline" has been blindingly obvious to the rest of the world since he was elected in 2016.
Old 9th August 2023, 02:58 PM   #359
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
but a visible and noisy one.

The USA is the only country that fought fascism successfully in WW2 without ever experiencing fascism on its own soil. (The UK saw the Channel Islands occupied, and caught Nazi hell first hand.) That may have something to do with the undoubted attraction fascism has for certain thin-witted types in America.
Ummm..... Pearl Harbor?
Old 9th August 2023, 02:58 PM   #360
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Stephanie Miller wondered if he was in a manic phase.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics