IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hamas , israel

Closed Thread
Old 9th October 2023, 12:13 PM   #201
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
One might indeed. The Palestinian people are responsible for their own government. Israel is not.
Are you suggesting that Palestinians are fair game targets because of the actions of their government? Probably not the best argument if you're going to cry about Israeli civilians being killed considering the monstrous acts of their own government performed in their name.



Originally Posted by Steve View Post
And how is their current tactic working? And what exactly should the Israelis do instead when Hamas employs their current brutal tactic?
It's too early to tell, isn't it?
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:15 PM   #202
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Love them non sequiturs.
I am merely pointing out that the US government is not neutral on this conflict, but rather are giving quite a bit of aid to Israel to take a hard line stance.

One wonders if Israel would have been more amenable to a negotiated peace if the US wasn't giving them carte blanche in the UN to act the way they have without sanction. As said before, nonviolence tactics only work if the oppressor is capable of being made to feel shame, which the US is using its considerable global power to prevent.

Giving Israel total unconditional support is only prolonging the conflict, because it emboldens the state to think they can aggressively conclude this conflict without making any concessions.
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:17 PM   #203
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 56,238
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
What a fun game we play where the victims of oppression must be perfect victims in order to be worthy of consideration and sympathy.
Quite ironic, since this is exactly why you're showing no sympathy for Israel.

Quote:
Do the monstrous excesses of Hamas, such as the targeting of civilians during the recent breakout raids, negate the broader justification of Palestinian liberation?
Are you operating under the delusion that Hamas is trying to achieve Palestinian liberation?

They are not.

Quote:
I'm willing to see nuance in this conflict
No, you are not. You are willing to excuse Hamas and blame Israel. That isn't nuance.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:18 PM   #204
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Quite ironic, since this is exactly why you're showing no sympathy for Israel.
I have no sympathy for Israel because they have all the cards in the deck to end this thing and choose not to. Israel has never dealt with the Palestinians in good faith ever. not before Hamas and not after and never will unless something radical changes.

Their dream of a Zionist state doesn't allow them to negotiate with Palestinians.
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 9th October 2023 at 12:22 PM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:19 PM   #205
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 56,238
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
I am merely pointing out that the US government is not neutral on this conflict, but rather are giving quite a bit of aid to Israel to take a hard line stance.
We should not be neutral in this conflict. It's not in our self interest to be.

But you're wrong, our aid has never been contingent upon them taking a hard line stance. It's almost always been the reverse: we've used it to pressure Israel to take softer positions.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:23 PM   #206
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 56,238
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
I have no sympathy for Israel because they have all the cards in the deck to end this thing and chose not to.
You really have no clue, do you? The only way one side is EVER capable unilaterally preventing the other side from attacking it is if they exterminate the other side. And Israel has never been the side trying to achieve that. For the Palestinians to stop attacking Israel, they have to choose to stop, not matter what concessions Israel makes. And they can choose to stop whether or not Israel makes any concessions.

Quote:
Israel has never dealt with the Palestinians in good faith ever. not before Hamas and not after and never will unless something radical changes.
Not surprisingly, you have this backwards too.

How did Hamas respond to the unilateral withdrawal of Israeli settlers from Gaza? This was something that Hamas and the Palestinians more broadly wanted. Israel gave it to them, and demanded nothing in return. And what happened next?

Quote:
Their dream of a Zionist state doesn't allow them to negotiate with Palestinians.
And yet, they have negotiated time and time again. How do you handle the cognitive dissonance?
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:23 PM   #207
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,705
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
What a fun game we play where the victims of oppression must be perfect victims in order to be worthy of consideration and sympathy.
Yes because it's such a difficult choice not to commit indiscriminate mass-murder. Palestinian just can't keep themselves from gunning down 300 people at a concert.

Your problem is that you treat Hamas as representative of the Palestinian people. The fact that the the Palestinian Authority can restrain itself is ignored and the behavior of Hamas is treated as reasonable.

Quote:
I'm willing to see nuance in this conflict, because as with all conflicts there are no pure sides, but the Zionists do not want to see the issue as nuanced.
The kind of language and black and white thinking you demonstrate clearly indicate that you yourself are unable to see any "nuance".
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 9th October 2023 at 12:24 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:24 PM   #208
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,740
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
What a fun game we play where the victims of oppression must be perfect victims in order to be worthy of consideration and sympathy.

Do the monstrous excesses of Hamas, such as the targeting of civilians during the recent breakout raids, negate the broader justification of Palestinian liberation? Do these excesses excuse the monstrous behavior of the Zionist oppressors?

I'm willing to see nuance in this conflict, because as with all conflicts there are no pure sides, but ]the Zionists do not want to see the issue as nuanced.
Monstrous behavior occurs on both sides. There is no high road, as much as you would like to believe you are on one.

Your "see(ing) the nuance" appears to consist of hyperbolic criticism of only one faction. Hamas "targets" while Israel engages in "monstrous behavior".
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:25 PM   #209
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Monstrous behavior occurs on both sides. There is no high road, as much as you would like to believe you are on one.

Your "see(ing) the nuance" appears to consist of hyperbolic criticism of only one faction. Hamas "targets" while Israel engages in "monstrous behavior".
Ok, I agree. There are no high roads.

Who has more control over this situation generally? Who has the most ability to bring about some negotiated peace? Israel or the people in the open air prison of Gaza?

I hold Israel more culpable because they have far more ability to bring about a peace, if only they want it more than they want an ethnically cleansed homeland.
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:29 PM   #210
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 56,238
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
Ok, I agree. There are no high roads.

Who has more control over this situation generally? Who has the most ability to bring about some negotiated peace? Israel or the people in the open air prison of Gaza?
You cannot "bring peace" when your enemy has no interest in peace, no matter how powerful you are. Hamas doesn't want peace. You seem to be trying to interpret the situation as if they did, but they don't, and you will continue to get everything wrong until you recognize that.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:32 PM   #211
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You cannot "bring peace" when your enemy has no interest in peace, no matter how powerful you are. Hamas doesn't want peace. You seem to be trying to interpret the situation as if they did, but they don't, and you will continue to get everything wrong until you recognize that.
Israel could cut the legs out from under Hamas by making reasonable concessions to Palestinians.
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:34 PM   #212
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,740
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
Are you suggesting that Palestinians are fair game targets because of the actions of their government? Probably not the best argument if you're going to cry about Israeli civilians being killed considering the monstrous acts of their own government performed in their name.
I have "suggested" no such thing. Are you "suggesting " that Israel is responsible for the Gaza government?

And please point out where I am crying about Israeli (or Palestinian) civilians being killed. Civilian deaths during war are an unfortunate inevitable fact.


Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
It's too early to tell, isn't it?
It is not too early to tell that the residents of Gaza are not going to come out better off in this current action.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"

Last edited by Steve; 9th October 2023 at 12:39 PM. Reason: messed up quotes
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:37 PM   #213
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 54,714
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
I'm merely pointing out that all this pearl clutching about Hamas killing civilians is transparently cynical.

It takes two to tango, and Israel is perfectly content to consider Palestinian civilians as legitimate targets. There's no comparison, Israel has far more capacity for destruction, has all the leverage necessary to create a real chance at peace, and continues to prefer to kill civilians.

All these complaints about Israeli civilians being targeted are crocodile tears from one of the most vicious targeters of civilian populations on the planet.
How you wish it wasn’t so…
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:37 PM   #214
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,740
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
Ok, I agree. There are no high roads.

Who has more control over this situation generally? Who has the most ability to bring about some negotiated peace? Israel or the people in the open air prison of Gaza?

I hold Israel more culpable because they have far more ability to bring about a peace, if only they want it more than they want an ethnically cleansed homeland.
I concur with Ziggurat's response. Please show us where Hamas has made a concerted effort to bring about peace.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:44 PM   #215
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by Steve View Post


It is not too early to tell that the residents of Gaza are not going to come out better off in this current action.
No, probably not.

That generally how decolonial struggles go, good or bad. The oppressed make their continued oppression so god damn bloody, embarrassing (probably less of a factor in this case considering the reflexive Zionism in the West), and generally exhausting until the oppressor decides it's not worth it anymore.

Israel never gets tired of lobbing rockets into Gaza, but this cross border raid has reminded them that they also have something at risk by continuing this occupation, even if they can make Gaza howl for every Israeli killed. It's not like the Vietnamese or the Irish or the Algerians or any of the other successful decolonial struggles resulted in a total military defeat of the more powerful occupying army, they simply got too demoralized to continue the occupation.

Palestinians don't need to win, they just need to not lose and continue to make their existence a defiant nuisance to Israel, and history has shown they are incredibly resilient and are in it for the long haul.

Flip side of that is that Israel might decide that they'll just commit to outright genocide and purge the country of Palestinians entirely, which seems to be increasingly the stance of the government as a necessary evil.
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 9th October 2023 at 12:55 PM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:49 PM   #216
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,705
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
No, probably not.

That generally how decolonial struggles go, good or bad. The oppressed make their continued oppression so god damn bloody, embarrassing (probably less of a factor in this case considering the reflexive Zionism in the West), and generally exhausting until the oppressor decide it's not worth it anymore.

Israel never gets tired of lobbing rockets into Gaza, but this cross border raid has reminded them that they also have something at risk by continuing this war, even if they can make Gaza howl for every Israeli killed. It's not like the Vietnamese or the Irish or the Algerians or any of the other successful decolonial struggles resulted in a total military defeat of the more powerful occupying army, they simply got too demoralized to continue the occupation.

Palestinians don't need to win, they just need to not lose, and history has shown they are incredibly resilient and are in it for the long haul.

Flip side of that is that Israel might decide that they'll just commit to outright genocide and purge the country of Palestinians entirely, which seems to be increasingly the stance of the government as a necessary evil.
And slaughtering whole families, one by one, in their homes in just a small misstep isn't it. Its understandable.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:53 PM   #217
lobosrul5
Philosopher
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7,261
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
Israel could cut the legs out from under Hamas by making reasonable concessions to Palestinians.
What are your proposed concessions?
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:55 PM   #218
lobosrul5
Philosopher
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7,261
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
No, probably not.

That generally how decolonial struggles go, good or bad. The oppressed make their continued oppression so god damn bloody, embarrassing (probably less of a factor in this case considering the reflexive Zionism in the West), and generally exhausting until the oppressor decides it's not worth it anymore.

Israel never gets tired of lobbing rockets into Gaza, but this cross border raid has reminded them that they also have something at risk by continuing this war, even if they can make Gaza howl for every Israeli killed. It's not like the Vietnamese or the Irish or the Algerians or any of the other successful decolonial struggles resulted in a total military defeat of the more powerful occupying army, they simply got too demoralized to continue the occupation.

Palestinians don't need to win, they just need to not lose and continue to make their existence a defiant nuisance to Israel, and history has shown they are incredibly resilient and are in it for the long haul.

Flip side of that is that Israel might decide that they'll just commit to outright genocide and purge the country of Palestinians entirely, which seems to be increasingly the stance of the government as a necessary evil.
Gaza is not a colony of Israel. Palestine was never an independent state. Your analogies to Algeria, Ireland, and especially Vietnam are nonsensical.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:56 PM   #219
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
And slaughtering whole families, one by one, in their homes in just a small misstep isn't it. Its understandable.
It would certainly be more ethical for these raids to more narrowly focus on legit military targets, but you must admit that it wouldn't make a difference in how the rest of the world reacts.

Any expression of Palestinian rights is met with the same response, you can understand, if not support, how people in that situation might do away with such asymmetrical moralism entirely.
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:57 PM   #220
jt512
Master Poster
 
jt512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,726
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
how dare YOU say that it's alright if the IDF acts as savagely as Hamas.

They don't. You are lying.
jt512 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:57 PM   #221
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,740
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
Israel could cut the legs out from under Hamas by making reasonable concessions to Palestinians.
And Hamas, who are dedicated to killing Jews, would just toss their guns and go.... where?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:58 PM   #222
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Gaza is not a colony of Israel. Palestine was never an independent state. Your analogies to Algeria, Ireland, and especially Vietnam are nonsensical.
Israel is settler colonialism. Algeria and Vietnam are probably bad examples as the French populations remained quite small, but settler colonialism is by no means unique to Israel. The American eradication of the native Americans and the British subjugation and settling of Ireland seem good parallels.
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:59 PM   #223
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,740
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Gaza is not a colony of Israel. Palestine was never an independent state. Your analogies to Algeria, Ireland, and especially Vietnam are nonsensical.
When there are straws to be grasped at.....
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:59 PM   #224
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by jt512 View Post
They don't. You are lying.
It's more than alright, we'll give them huge amounts of support to do it.
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 12:59 PM   #225
lobosrul5
Philosopher
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7,261
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
It would certainly be more ethical for these raids to more narrowly focus on legit military targets, but you must admit that it wouldn't make a difference in how the rest of the world reacts.

Any expression of Palestinian rights is met with the same response, you can understand, if not support, how people in that situation might do away with such asymmetrical moralism entirely.
Are you insane? You don't think there are people out there swayed by images of nearly naked German female corpses being paraded around by Hamas?!

ETA: BTW the concert Hamas attacked had a theme of peace, love, and understand... but hey it was only 3 miles from Gaza so they're fair game for murder?

Last edited by lobosrul5; 9th October 2023 at 01:02 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:02 PM   #226
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,740
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Are you insane? You don't think there are people out there swayed by images of nearly naked German female corpses being paraded around by Hamas?!
Certainly not swaying TurkeysGhost's support of Hamas. Apparently just another "nuance" to be weighed.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:03 PM   #227
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Are you insane? You don't think there are people out there swayed by images of nearly naked German female corpses being paraded around by Hamas?!
Maybe, but I don't think the lack of those images would make much difference practically.

What's the difference between supporting Israel unconditionally and super duper supporting Israel unconditionally?
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:04 PM   #228
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post

ETA: BTW the concert Hamas attacked had a theme of peace, love, and understand... but hey it was only 3 miles from Gaza so they're fair game for murder?
Makes sense, only hippies would be so foolish as to think good vibes makes up for real harm. The aesthetics of peace, love, and understanding is not, in fact, a substitute for real peace, love, and understanding.
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 9th October 2023 at 01:05 PM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:06 PM   #229
lobosrul5
Philosopher
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7,261
BTW TG, Hamas executes suspected members of the LGBT community. No one is foolish enough to be out in the open in Gaza. Think about the next time you post on the trans rights threads here.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:06 PM   #230
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,740
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
Maybe, but I don't think the lack of those images would make much difference practically.

What's the difference between supporting Israel unconditionally and super duper supporting Israel unconditionally?
Ooh, more hyperbole. I'll play too:

"What's the difference between killing Israelis (and others) unconditionally and super duper killing Israelis unconditionally?"
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:07 PM   #231
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Ooh, more hyperbole. I'll play too:

"What's the difference between killing Israelis (and others) unconditionally and super duper killing Israelis unconditionally?"
Same answer for both:

nothing
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:08 PM   #232
lobosrul5
Philosopher
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7,261
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
Makes sense, only hippies would be so foolish as to think good vibes makes up for real harm. The aesthetics of peace, love, and understanding is not, in fact, a substitute for real peace, love, and understanding.
Yes, yes, its OK to murder hippies... do go on. Keep on digging that hole man.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:08 PM   #233
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,740
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
Makes sense, only hippies would be so foolish as to think good vibes makes up for real harm. The aesthetics of peace, love, and understanding is not, in fact, a substitute for real peace, love, and understanding.
So legitimate targets in your view?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:11 PM   #234
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
So legitimate targets in your view?
No, why would you read that into what I said?

Just very naive.
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:13 PM   #235
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,740
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Yes, yes, its OK to murder hippies... do go on. Keep on digging that hole man.
It's ok to kill anyone except Gaza residents, it seems.

Anyone seen any actual examples of this:

"I'm willing to see nuance in this conflict"?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:15 PM   #236
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,740
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Are you insane? You don't think there are people out there swayed by images of nearly naked German female corpses being paraded around by Hamas?!

ETA: BTW the concert Hamas attacked had a theme of peace, love, and understand... but hey it was only 3 miles from Gaza so they're fair game for murder?
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
Makes sense, only hippies would be so foolish as to think good vibes makes up for real harm. The aesthetics of peace, love, and understanding is not, in fact, a substitute for real peace, love, and understanding.
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
So legitimate targets in your view?
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
No, why would you read that into what I said?

Just very naive.
See the hilites.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:20 PM   #237
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,331
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Who is responsible for Hamas' barbaric acts?
Take a look in the mirror. That might help.
__________________
"To me, Hitler is the greatest man who ever lived. He truly is without fault, so simple and at the same time possessed of masculine strength"
-Leni Riefenstahl
Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:22 PM   #238
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
See the hilites.
Ok, glad I can clear that up for you.

Throwing a big party right outside the open air prison where your nation treats 2 million people like vermin is a really, really bad idea.

It doesn't make the murder of noncombatants any more justified, but you have to wonder about how smart these people and if they really appreciate what exactly it is their government is doing to the Palestinians in their name.

I would simply not stick my head in a noose and hand the other end to a member of a population my government is trying to ethnically cleanse, but maybe I'm just too jaded

Do you think it's a good idea for Israelis to throw festivals three miles from the Gaza ghetto's walls? Would you feel safe?
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 9th October 2023 at 01:24 PM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:29 PM   #239
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,740
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
Ok, glad I can clear that up for you.

Throwing a big party right outside the open air prison where your nation treats 2 million people like vermin is a really, really bad idea.

It doesn't make the murder of noncombatants any more justified, but you have to wonder about how smart these people and if they really appreciate what exactly it is their government is doing to the Palestinians in their name.

I would simply not stick my head in a noose and hand the other end to a member of a population my government is trying to ethnically cleanse, but maybe I'm just too jaded

Do you think it's a good idea for Israelis to throw festivals three miles from the Gaza ghetto's walls? Would you feel safe?
Ok then, thanks for confirming. Just serves them right for not realizing that Hamas just could not help themselves - basic out of control animal instinct, kinda like vermin. Therefore justified.

ETA: loving your well-considered nuance.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"

Last edited by Steve; 9th October 2023 at 01:31 PM.
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2023, 01:32 PM   #240
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Ok then, thanks for confirming. Just serves them right for not realizing that Hamas just could not help themselves - basic out of control animal instinct, kinda like vermin. Therefore justified.
Whatever makes you feel better about supporting the abhorrent violence by the Israeli state that is clearly coming.

It will be interesting to see which politicians and celebrities remain firm in their "I stand with Israel" posts as the next few weeks go by, as they are likely to be incredibly brutal and one-sided.
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.