IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Taylor Swift , time magazine

Old 8th December 2023, 10:22 AM   #121
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"Taylor Swift is a singer-songwriter with a millions-strong fanbase, who sells out stadiums with her performances. She's probably one of the biggest entertainers in existence right now."

"Yeah, but does she actually do anything?"
Well, she did help out Phil Wang in Series 7 of Task Master (apparently), so there is that.

However, it was a few years ago. Mebbe it's taken that long for a Merkinaian magazine to catch up with less well-known British TV and comedians...
Carrot Flower King is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 10:25 AM   #122
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Thank you for criticizing what you didn't bother to actually read.
LoL what a stupid reply.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 10:45 AM   #123
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Let's see, so we start with the obviousness that she is a historically popular entertainer. Oh, but then she should just be "entertainer of the year" objection.

But in the meantime...
She caused a major outrage among Fox News viewers (so that's a large population) by urging her fans to...register to vote. Lots of famous people encourage people to vote all the time and it doesn't make Fox News. There is something unique about TS, apparently.

But a more important aspect, something that has been brought up: the fact that she is rumored to be dating a professional football player has significantly increased the popularity of the NFL. That is no trivial matter. It's not like the NFL wasn't already an incredibly popular form of entertainment, but just being associated with TS comes with a wave of new interest.

Simone Biles is also hanging out on NFL sidelines, and that is also helpful, but nowhere near the impact of TS.

Add in her impact on the business model of the music industry (she didn't invent the approach of re-recording her own work, but has certainly brought it to light as an effective model), it's hard to say, "Oh, what impact has she had?" If you are paying attention, it's huge.

And, for the record, I don't know if I would recognize 3 of her songs, especially if you take out her Christmas album so it's not like I'm a Swiftie.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 10:46 AM   #124
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
There are twelve different cover versions of her on "Time Lord" magazine. (But everyone's favorite is the fourth one, of course.)
I’ve only seen these 3 referenced.

Though I’m aware she’s been on Time’s cover before.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 10:46 AM   #125
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Come now, bickering gentlemen: shake it off.
Old 8th December 2023, 10:48 AM   #126
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Amazingly, I get the reference.

Only because I have seen the movie Sing. And it wasn't until recently that I learned that was originally a TS song.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 10:55 AM   #127
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Amazingly, I get the reference.

Only because I have seen the movie Sing. And it wasn't until recently that I learned that was originally a TS song.
I only got it because someone posted the video in this thread!

It turns out that the song I thought was Swift's was actually Katy Perry. And I mostly know who Katy Perry is because she looks like New Girl, and I mostly know who New Girl is because she's the daughter of the actress who played Donna's mother on Twin Peaks! I am starting to suspect that I may be a little bit out of touch. *polishes monocle with a pinch of snuff*
Old 8th December 2023, 11:14 AM   #128
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

We're just asking for Trouble.
Old 8th December 2023, 12:21 PM   #129
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My subscription is up for renewal. If I don't get the Ragdoll Cat cover maybe I won't!
And now I'm wondering if hers meows as much as the one currently talking to me!
Old 8th December 2023, 12:37 PM   #130
AmyStrange
Master Poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
What the **** are you talking about? She has a massive, massive following on every social media platform she decides to be on. She started dating an NFL player and THEIR ******* SALES WENT UP. She's stood up to recording studios, including re-recording her entire catalog to get out from under their thumb, and she's philanthropic as well.

All around she's an amazing person and everyone that hops in and is like, "Who? Don't know, don't care about some pop person" is doing the same thing you're doing. Dismissing her because of one facet of her life, which admittedly made her wealthy. The fact you saying "lets hold off on the celebration" is WAY too late. The choice has been made and no one involved in it gave a flying ******* what Samson has to say about Taylor's views. Nothing to debate.

Once again, you took the words right of my mouth and thank you.

I'm a Boomer, but I still love her music. My favorite song is Our Song, and yes, every accolade she receives is most definitely deserved.

-
AmyStrange is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 01:30 PM   #131
angrysoba
Philosophile

There are twelve different cover versions of her on "Time Lord" magazine. (But everyone's favorite is the fourth one, of course.)
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I’ve only seen these 3 referenced.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0238c5428c.jpg

Though I’m aware she’s been on Time’s cover before.
The fourth one that TM references is the one where she is dressed as Tom Baker.
Old 8th December 2023, 02:13 PM   #132
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

It turns out that the song I thought was Swift's was actually Katy Perry. And I mostly know who Katy Perry is because she looks like New Girl, and I mostly know who New Girl is because she's the daughter of the actress who played Donna's mother on Twin Peaks! I am starting to suspect that I may be a little bit out of touch. *polishes monocle with a pinch of snuff*
I've never seen New Girl but I have a thing for Zoey Deschanel and I know she was in it. Is she the one you think looks like Katy Perry?
Old 8th December 2023, 03:04 PM   #133
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Well, there it is... the dumbest thing I'll read on the internet today (I hope).
It's ragebait, and you should ignore it. "Don't feed the trolls" is still good policy.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 03:29 PM   #134
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Isn't the point of the thing to drum up interest in "Time" magazine? Not that it works: it just drums up interest in Taylor Swift. I learned a lot more about her in this thread than I knew before.
It's pretty clear Time editors wanted to jump on the very profitable band wagon as it drove by. One look at the suddenly increased popularity of a certain football team is a clue.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 03:32 PM   #135
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I’ll bet a slew of Swifties will attempt to collect all three cover versions of the magazine.
Of course. Definitely part of the plan.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 03:37 PM   #136
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Who?

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 03:38 PM   #137
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
By that criteria, it should be POTUS every year.
It's not just about America.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 03:46 PM   #138
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Never heard of her. Is she as good as Dua Lipa?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 03:58 PM   #139
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You will soon start to hear the sound of MAGA morons' heads exploding!

That's my favourite thing about her... she triggers really the MAGA chuds!
Told ya

https://www.msnbc.com/the-reidout/re...ies-rcna128767

- Link contains text and video

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 04:22 PM   #140
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I've never seen New Girl but I have a thing for Zoey Deschanel and I know she was in it. Is she the one you think looks like Katy Perry?
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...bs-music-video

Yes, and you have good taste.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 04:28 PM   #141
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
I have been a fan of Zoey since the days of the show Tin Man.
Old 8th December 2023, 04:28 PM   #142
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually

Isn't New Girl the sister of the lead actress in Bones? And doesn't the lead actress in Bones actually have bones? The coincidences never cease!
Old 8th December 2023, 04:36 PM   #143
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ryan O'Dine View Post
Isn't New Girl the sister of the lead actress in Bones? And doesn't the lead actress in Bones actually have bones? The coincidences never cease!
That show aired on Fox, and they're both "foxes".

Ilumanati confirmed!
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 04:45 PM   #144
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

*Kanye West shoots double finger guns*

Not a fan of her genre of music at all, but damned if she is not the most giving person I've heard about in years. I was reading somewhere that she is one of the richest entertainers, yet also makes it rain with more philanthropic cash both in volume and proportion than anyone else comparable.
My meaning is that a Jewish philanthropist would not qualify this year because of the politics, whereas Taylor is as controversial as motherhood and apple pie.
Old 8th December 2023, 10:30 PM   #145
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
My meaning is that a Jewish philanthropist would not qualify this year because of the politics, whereas Taylor is as controversial as motherhood and apple pie.
I dunno. She's certainly managed to trigger a whole lot of snowflakes.

- Seth Meyers
Old 8th December 2023, 11:02 PM   #146
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
As a hypothesis, I suggest the world would be better if actors musos and sports people shut up about politics except where they are directly affected.
Old 8th December 2023, 11:12 PM   #147
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

As a hypothesis, I suggest the world would be better if actors musos and sports people shut up about politics except where they are directly affected.
Musos=Musicians, I suppose?

What kind of world do you expect if artists and entertainers refuse to be "political"? You might rethink if you truly considered who you're asking to shut up, from a historical standpoint.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2023, 11:20 PM   #148
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Musos=Musicians, I suppose?

What kind of world do you expect if artists and entertainers refuse to be "political"? You might rethink if you truly considered who you're asking to shut up, from a historical standpoint.
Just a personal preference. I would infinitely prefer Tay tay to describe the process of writing a song than what she thinks of Trump.
Old 8th December 2023, 11:43 PM   #149
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Just a personal preference. I would infinitely prefer Tay tay to describe the process of writing a song than what she thinks of Trump.
Does it work both ways? Would you like Trump to not tell anybody what he thinks about anyone who isn't a politician?
Old 8th December 2023, 11:49 PM   #150
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2023, 01:19 AM   #151
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

In Taylor's case she had no choice because she apparently was directly affected, as described earlier by Doubt:

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
One funny thing was that until a few years ago, she managed to keep her perspective on many social issues to herself. And then some racist morons started referring to her as their Aryan Goddess. That seems to have coaxed her out of her offical neutrality just enough to signal she does not support those racist fools.

A lot of people would like it if celebrities kept their opinions to themselves. Unfortunately, if they actually do that, some of the fans will make up a narrative for them.
If fans are starting to make political statements or implying associations on an entertainer's behalf - perhaps enabled by that entertainer's very policy of never giving their political opinions - it would seem to me that their hand is forced, especially if the associations being made are contrary to their own beliefs and sympathies.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2023, 02:27 AM   #152
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
In Taylor's case she had no choice because she apparently was directly affected, as described earlier by Doubt:

If fans are starting to make political statements or implying associations on an entertainer's behalf - perhaps enabled by that entertainer's very policy of never giving their political opinions - it would seem to me that their hand is forced, especially if the associations being made are contrary to their own beliefs and sympathies.
Ok this is much more complicated than I thought. Had not perused whole thread.
Old 9th December 2023, 03:21 AM   #153
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Who?
Click the link. 😀

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2023, 05:50 AM   #154
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
You all know that one of these days, probably sooner than later, she's going to unzip her skin and finally reveal the Gray. Or maybe the Green, I forget which one's evil.
Old 9th December 2023, 06:59 AM   #155
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

How bold of you to suggest they suspend their First Amendment rights to free speech. You’re echoing the “Shut Up And Sing” mantra directed at the Dixie Chicks when one spoke up against GW Bush.

Her decision to speak out, first against TN senate candidate Marsha Blackburn, then Trump, is covered in the above mentioned “Miss Americana” on Netflix. Doing so had at least 2 implications:

1) The alienation of a large portion of her fans, a la’ The Dixie Chicks fiasco.

2) The security implications, with the possibility of making herself a target of retribution by MAGA zealots.

I think it was a brave and principled move, and I applaud her for it.

Here’s a music video from Miss Americana that I suspect will help motivate many young voters:

https://youtu.be/21mKreFKm6E?si=09DQ4lhai2999jdh

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 9th December 2023 at 07:11 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2023, 07:01 AM   #156
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

In the confused, incoherent, misinformed alternate reality you occupy, I suppose women aren't affected by abortion bans.
Old 9th December 2023, 08:25 AM   #157
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

While this is a good point, it's also a double edged sword. Keeping quiet about your political opinions can be viewed as a money grabbing strategy. After becoming one of the entertainment industy's most popular top earners, you could say pretty much anything and maintain or grow your fan base. See el Trumpo's apparently correct observation about shooting someone on 5th Ave. Her revealed opinions appeal to a wider base and generate her more money and popularity, so she opined wisely.

None of which is meant to throw shade on Ms Swift, but on her fan base. You shouldn't really give two ***** about what a performer thinks about politics (as long as they aren't like Nazis or something). If Tay Tay is ******* a football player, and the already massive juggernaut NFL makes noticably more money as a result... I mean, that's a little scary, silly as it sounds. A performer should not have a massive hoard of zombies at their disposal.
Old 9th December 2023, 08:48 AM   #158
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's not just about America.
America has a controlling interest in just about every economic, commercial, diplomatic, and military institution in the world. POTUS is the chief executive of all of those interests. His influence does not end at the US border. It's global, and it's almost certainly bigger, globally, than anyone else's.
Old 9th December 2023, 09:10 AM   #159
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

We're just asking for Trouble.
Look what you made me do
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2023, 09:12 AM   #160
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Look what you made me do
We are never getting back together.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events