IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Taylor Swift , time magazine

Old 28th January 2024, 02:42 PM   #241
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Bring back the golden age of sea travel!

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2024, 03:26 PM   #242
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Bring back the golden age of sea travel!
I doubt that is less CO2 intensive.

In fact I know it isn't.

The jet Taylor Swift travels on is fairly fuel efficient but it depends on how you look at it.

Taylor Swift owns a Dassault Falcon 900. It carries 12 to 14 passengers plus two pilots. It burns 303 gallons of fuel per hour. But it also flies at about 550 nautical miles in that hour.
That equals 631 miles on the ground. That is about 2 miles per gallon. But if she flies with 10 other people, that equals out to 20 passenger miles per gallon. This is better fuel efficiency than I get.
Old 28th January 2024, 03:32 PM   #243
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

In fact I know it isn't.

The jet Taylor Swift travels on is fairly fuel efficient but it depends on how you look at it.

Taylor Swift owns a Dassault Falcon 900. It carries 12 to 14 passengers plus two pilots. It burns 303 gallons of fuel per hour. But it also flies at about 550 nautical miles in that hour.
That equals 631 miles on the ground. That is about 2 miles per gallon. But if she flies with 10 other people, that equals out to 20 passenger miles per gallon. This is better fuel efficiency than I get.
Clearly the solution is to fly your car along the surface of the ocean, with at least twelve passengers at all times. This will be the most efficient and logical approach to travel from now on. You will need mermaid insurance, those things are like moose: hit one with your car and it'll total the car, while the mermaid walks away with only light bruises.
Old 28th January 2024, 03:33 PM   #244
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

In fact I know it isn't.
When ships use the filthy bunker fuel, definitely not. But there are alternatives.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2024, 03:37 PM   #245
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The Thunberg Effect is strong ITT.
Old 28th January 2024, 03:44 PM   #246
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Try maintaining a worldwide touring schedule without polluting? Try doing anything without polluting? How much carbon does a recording session in a studio emit? That's a pretty energy-intensive process. How much carbon does lighting a stadium concert emit? These are things that cannot be changed while still maintaining a career. So carbon offsets it is, even though that is not a perfect solution.

- Seth Meyers
Old 28th January 2024, 03:51 PM   #247
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

When ships use the filthy bunker fuel, definitely not. But there are alternatives.
Yes, there are. But outside of sailing or a nuclear reactor, not really. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 28th January 2024, 03:53 PM   #248
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Clearly the solution is to fly your car along the surface of the ocean, with at least twelve passengers at all times. This will be the most efficient and logical approach to travel from now on.
Obviously a joke, but jets are woefully inefficient at low altitudes - they need to get high for best efficiency. And less mermaid collision risk.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2024, 03:56 PM   #249
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
The Thunberg Effect is strong ITT.
Why pick on Greta Thunberg? It's not like scientists all over the world haven't warned the world about climate change. Relying on ad hominem attacks on a teenager to address an existential threat to humanity seems fairly childish to me.
Old 28th January 2024, 03:57 PM   #250
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yes, there are. But outside of sailing or a nuclear reactor, not really. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Heck, even diesel is less polluting than bunker fuel. But bunker fuel is cheap, so it's what a lot of the really big ships use.

I think there's scope for smaller liners to ferry passengers exclusively from one part of the world to another. Biggest downside is the travel time. It wouldn't be good for business trips, but those are largely redundant in today's Zoom-enabled economy.

Anyway, I'm getting somewhat off topic here.

- Seth Meyers
Old 28th January 2024, 03:59 PM   #251
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Obviously a joke, but jets are woefully inefficient at low altitudes - they need to get high for best efficiency. And less mermaid collision risk.
That's why I said "car", not "jet". Fly the car along the surface, perhaps a foot or two up. Duh.
Old 28th January 2024, 04:05 PM   #252
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Clearly the solution is to fly your car along the surface of the ocean, with at least twelve passengers at all times. This will be the most efficient and logical approach to travel from now on. You will need mermaid insurance, those things are like moose: hit one with your car and it'll total the car, while the mermaid walks away with only light bruises.
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Not totally a joke. Planes are substantially more efficient at the altitude the monkey suggests. The Russian built Ekranoplan was designed to take advantage of ground effects. But as you pointed out, mermaids etc get in the way.
Old 28th January 2024, 04:05 PM   #253
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Why pick on Greta Thunberg? It's not like scientists all over the world haven't warned the world about climate change. Relying on ad hominem attacks on a teenager to address an existential threat to humanity seems fairly childish to me.
Tune your radar in better. I'm not "attacking" Greta. I'm a little surprised at the thread drift direction.
Old 28th January 2024, 04:09 PM   #254
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Heck, even diesel is less polluting than bunker fuel. But bunker fuel is cheap, so it's what a lot of the really big ships use.

I think there's scope for smaller liners to ferry passengers exclusively from one part of the world to another. Biggest downside is the travel time. It wouldn't be good for business trips, but those are largely redundant in today's Zoom-enabled economy.

Anyway, I'm getting somewhat off topic here.
True, but even using diesel fuel, I think flying or driving is more fuel efficient. As for big container ships using bunker oil. I would prefer that they switch to nuclear reactors.
Old 28th January 2024, 04:21 PM   #255
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

True, but even using diesel fuel, I think flying or driving is more fuel efficient. As for big container ships using bunker oil. I would prefer that they switch to nuclear reactors.
That would be ideal, yes, though this could be a real alternative.

- Seth Meyers
Old 28th January 2024, 04:25 PM   #256
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Tune your radar in better. I'm not "attacking" Greta. I'm a little surprised at the thread drift direction.
Oh, has it drifted? If so it was so subtle few noticed.
Old 28th January 2024, 04:41 PM   #257
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That would be ideal, yes, though this could be a real alternative.
I think that would work for tankers. Container Cargo, not so much.
Old 28th January 2024, 04:45 PM   #258
Ivor the Engineer
Philosopher

Try maintaining a worldwide touring schedule without polluting? Try doing anything without polluting? How much carbon does a recording session in a studio emit? That's a pretty energy-intensive process. How much carbon does lighting a stadium concert emit? These are things that cannot be changed while still maintaining a career. So carbon offsets it is, even though that is not a perfect solution.
Why does she need to maintain that career? She's worth between $800million to $1billion.

Unlike most humans she could spend the rest of her time on this planet trying to do the least harm to it as possible. Instead she does what so many other ultra-wealthy people do and uses her wealth to consume vastly more than a single person's fair share of the earth's resources.

What standard should we expect for people with such vast resources with regards to climate change?

But please, continue rooting for the anti-hero!
Ivor the Engineer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2024, 05:12 PM   #259
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ivor the Engineer View Post
Why does she need to maintain that career? She's worth between $800million to $1billion.

Unlike most humans she could spend the rest of her time on this planet trying to do the least harm to it as possible. Instead she does what so many other ultra-wealthy people do and uses her wealth to consume vastly more than a single person's fair share of the earth's resources.

What standard should we expect for people with such vast resources with regards to climate change?

She doesn't. Nor do a lot of wealthy people. But she enjoys what she does and a lot of people want to see her do it. I use more fuel per passenger mile commuting to work every day than she does flying herself and a few bandmates on her plane.

Compare this to Donald Trump in his 757. It burns more than ten times the fuel per hour than Swift's Dassault.

Now why exactly is Taylor Swift the anti-hero?
Old 28th January 2024, 05:58 PM   #260
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Obviously, because she wants to.

- Seth Meyers
Old 28th January 2024, 06:16 PM   #261
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Darn, I opened this thread hoping to see the big news, that Taylor Swift will be going to the Super Bowl!!!!

Don't tell me the NFL isn't fixed....
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2024, 06:18 PM   #262
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously, because she wants to.
For the life of me, I can't understand why the right wing demonizes Taylor Swift. What is there to gain from attacking the most popular music artist on the planet?
Old 28th January 2024, 06:24 PM   #263
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Darn, I opened this thread hoping to see the big news, that Taylor Swift will be going to the Super Bowl!!!!

Don't tell me the NFL isn't fixed....
Yeah, the NFL fixed the game. They caused the three Ravens turnovers. One, a foot away from the end zone.

Last edited by acbytesla; 28th January 2024 at 06:31 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2024, 06:33 PM   #264
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, the NFL fixed the game. They caused the three Ravens turnovers. One, a foot away from the end zone.
They are in on it...
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2024, 09:17 PM   #265
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

For the life of me, I can't understand why the right wing demonizes Taylor Swift. What is there to gain from attacking the most popular music artist on the planet?
Because she's actually a good person, and therefore "woke".

- Seth Meyers
Old 29th January 2024, 12:55 AM   #266
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Carbon offsetting is a fig leaf for the excesses of the wealthy.
Like the IPCC. I agree, but better to have a fig leaf than just let it rip

I've read about her from other sources too. As I said before, she comes from wealth and that was a great help to her music career.
Paris Hilton's parents are billionaires. It didn't help her career much.

Unlike Jeff Bezos, Larry Ellison and many other billionaires, Taylor Swift does some very good work on very good causes. She alienated a lot of her core support by coming out pro-LGBT, anti-Trump and other positions, but did it anyway.

Jealousy is such an ugly emotion.
Old 29th January 2024, 01:00 AM   #267
Ivor the Engineer
Philosopher

She doesn't. Nor do a lot of wealthy people. But she enjoys what she does and a lot of people want to see her do it. I use more fuel per passenger mile commuting to work every day than she does flying herself and a few bandmates on her plane.

Compare this to Donald Trump in his 757. It burns more than ten times the fuel per hour than Swift's Dassault.

Now why exactly is Taylor Swift the anti-hero?
Exactly how many private jets and land does one person need? From where I'm standing her behaviour is hard to distinguish from most other ultra-wealthy people.

Is it possible to be successful in the music business without doing world tours? (Hint: you may have heard of a little band called The Beatles) There is nothing stopping her becoming a recording artist and making money from streaming (if she feels she needs more money)

Better person than Donald Trump is hardly a high bar to set!

She literally is telling us to stop idolising her, yet here you all are making excuses for an ultra-wealthy person's ridiculous excesses. I suspect this is a case of the Halo Effect.
Ivor the Engineer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2024, 03:25 AM   #268
Ivor the Engineer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Like the IPCC. I agree, but better to have a fig leaf than just let it rip
There are things called hotels. You can stay in them when you are away from home. While not great environmentally, they're a lot better than owning and flying home in one of two private jets.

Quote:
Paris Hilton's parents are billionaires. It didn't help her career much.
So? Clearly Taylor Swift has talent and ability as a song writer and performer. However, so have a lot of other people who don't have parents who can relocate to support their child's dreams of music industry success.

Quote:
Unlike Jeff Bezos, Larry Ellison and many other billionaires, Taylor Swift does some very good work on very good causes. She alienated a lot of her core support by coming out pro-LGBT, anti-Trump and other positions, but did it anyway.
You can feel okay about the extreme excesses of your lifestyle so long as you bung a few quid to the sick and unfortunate and call out people with zero ethical principles. Are we supposed to be impressed?

Quote:
Jealousy is such an ugly emotion.
I'm not jealous. I have all I need and want in life.

I think Taylor Swift has an excellent PR team and is probably an okay person (as far as humans go). But she's no role model of how to behave, as she repeatedly tell us in her songs.
Old 29th January 2024, 03:33 PM   #269
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Is it possible to be successful in the music business without doing world tours? (Hint: you may have heard of a little band called The Beatles)
Okay, point 1: international air travel is now a lot cheaper and easier than it was in the mid-60s. Point 2: in 1964, the Beatles toured Denmark, the Netherlands, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, the United States, and Canada. In 1965, they went to France, Italy, Spain, and back to the US and Canada. They hit Germany, Japan and the Philippines in 1966. So they didn't exactly not tour the world.

- Seth Meyers
Old 29th January 2024, 03:37 PM   #270
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oh, and someone else has a bit of an issue with private jets, so you know. In the interest of balance and all...

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2stUNTCxDa/

- Seth Meyers
Old 29th January 2024, 03:59 PM   #271
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, point 1: international air travel is now a lot cheaper and easier than it was in the mid-60s. Point 2: in 1964, the Beatles toured Denmark, the Netherlands, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, the United States, and Canada. In 1965, they went to France, Italy, Spain, and back to the US and Canada. They hit Germany, Japan and the Philippines in 1966. So they didn't exactly not tour the world.
And let's be honest, the economics of the music industry is dramatically different than it was in the 1960s and 1970s.

Still, I can point to multiple world tours by CSNY, Rolling Stones, the Beach Boys, the Eagles, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Queen, Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead, Abba, Elton John, Paul Simon, ACDC, Earth Wind and Fire, KISS, David Bowie, Madonna, Springsteen, the Clash, Van Halen, Ozzie Osborne, Garth Brooks, etc.

The list goes on and on and on.
Old 29th January 2024, 06:40 PM   #272
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Taylor Swift's CO2 emissions are certainly on the high side, given she owns two (yes, two) private jets and frequently uses them to fly back from concerts....
Ivor, nice seeing you back!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2024, 08:07 PM   #273
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yeah, didn't we just mention Ivor somewhere recently?

Is this a "say his name and he suddenly appears" situation?

- Seth Meyers
Old 29th January 2024, 11:33 PM   #274
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Vivek Ramaswamy, who briefly had some decent polling numbers in the runup to the Republican primaries, thinks the NFL has the fix in. The Chiefs will win, Kelse will propose to Taylor Swift in the postgame ceremonies, and the new power couple will endorse Joe Biden, thereby ensuring his win.

Of course there are quite a few problems with this theory, starting with the notion that the NFL is rigged. This is a huge and valuable corporation that basically prints money. They don't have to rig things. Somebody at the bar tonight suggested that the league didn't want Baltimore vs Detroit, but let's be real; is there a reason the league wanted Kansas City to be a top team for the last decade, as compared to huge markets like New York or Chicago?

And the liability issues now that the league has partnered with gambling sites would be insane if the NFL were found to be guilty of choosing winners and losers.

Bringing it back to Taylor Swift reveals another absurdity in this theory. She's probably the one person on the planet who doesn't need the spotlight of the Super Bowl to make a presidential endorsement meaningful. If she announced that she was going to make that speech at 3:00AM on a Sunday night in June, you know it would be televised on dozens of channels, and be the top headline in most newspapers.

And there is some argument that she could change things just by an endorsement.

Quote:
In a poll conducted by Redfield & Wilton Strategies for Newsweek, 18 percent of voters say they're 'more likely' or 'significantly more likely' to vote for a candidate endorsed by Taylor Swift.
Obvious caveat; I suspect most of that 18% is already on Biden's side. Still if she could really move the needle even by a percentage point it could end up being decisive.

Last edited by Brainster; 29th January 2024 at 11:37 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2024, 02:43 AM   #275
Ivor the Engineer
Philosopher

...and then they stopped and became a recording band.

If anything the modern world allows people to become wealthy and famous while never leaving their living room.

It's only if you want to become insanely wealthy that you have to be prepared to ****-over the planet and environment and hire PR people to greenwash your image.
Old 30th January 2024, 02:36 PM   #276
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

Yeah, didn't we just mention Ivor somewhere recently?

Is this a "say his name and he suddenly appears" situation?
Imagine what would happen if you said it three times.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2024, 02:41 PM   #277
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The thing about a private jet is, it saves time. Since time is one of the few resources that is absolutely not renewable, it makes sense that some of the people that can afford one choose to get one. Like they say, "amateurs study t-shirt concessions; professionals study logistics".
Old 30th January 2024, 02:49 PM   #278
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The thing about a private jet is, it saves time. Since time is one of the few resources that is absolutely not renewable, it makes sense that some of the people that can afford one choose to get one. Like they say, "amateurs study t-shirt concessions; professionals study logistics".
She could save even more time by just taking up a residency, and then having her fans fly to her... probably not saving any CO2 emissions that way though.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2024, 03:06 PM   #279
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
She could save even more time by just taking up a residency, and then having her fans fly to her... probably not saving any CO2 emissions that way though.
Nobody saves time just to save time. The point is to spend less time doing things you don't want to do, so that you can have more time to do the things you do want to do.
Old 30th January 2024, 04:05 PM   #280
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Exactly.

Performing artists do that in Vegas and Bransom for example. Either way, someone is getting on a jet and burning fuel. Seems to me, (although maybe I haven't thought this through entirely) that making fans travel results in more wasted fuel and more co2. After all, 20,000 fans driving to respective airports and flying to destinations must burn more fuel than say 10 performers and support staff flying to the destinations.

Last edited by acbytesla; 30th January 2024 at 04:15 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events