IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th February 2024, 01:50 PM   #121
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Some would say that Bush continued to be CIA after becoming President.
Old 20th February 2024, 02:04 PM   #122
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I think you overestimate the US electorate's ability to see through the GOP's (and right wing media's) attempts to portray Biden as a bumbling, addled old fool. I know it's a tiny, anecdotal, group but Mrs Don's family Zoom call have swallowed this hook, line and sinker. Most of them are lifelong Democrat voters but they are very unimpressed with Biden as a candidate and are considering not voting in the upcoming Presidential election as a result. To be honest, it won't make a difference in their cases, they live in states which are safely one way or another and so they don't represent a swing vote.

Even supposedly left-leaning media outlets are focusing on Biden's alleged gaffes. True that they're portraying him as a harmless old grandpa making harmless old grandpa mistakes but it's still dripping poison and it's still portraying him as someone not ideal for leading the world's only superpower.

As a wider issue, IMO Democrats turn out in force when there's a good reason for them to do so. In the case of Bill Clinton and Obama, it was because the candidate was a bona fide charismatic rock star (contrast Gore, Dukakis and even Hillary Clinton once she'd been focus grouped to death). In 2020 it was because of President Trump. I think the heat has gone out of the anti-Trump message because enough people have become complacent and there's no way that Biden is able to inspire a large number of people to cast a positive vote in his favour.

Joe Biden is a very competent, honourable, decent President but he has a major public image challenge and he faces an opponent with a large and zealous base.
This is contributory to the eventual collapse of America into a kleptocratic, oligarchic, Christo-Fascist hell. The sizzle trumps the steak. (Pun not intended, but apropos.) Titillating scumbaggery over quiet competence.

In a sane world, only 10% of a citizenry would be lured by a Drumpf, and the rest would vote instead for a rotten turnip. That this race is too near 50:50 is a wicked indictment of a national insanity. To wit. Any populace unable to adopt sane measures to curtail the slaughter of its children by gunfire is quite incapable of resisting the onslaught of Fascism.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2024, 09:24 PM   #123
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Where do you get this crap? Biden has proven to be very honest. Prickly? Hardly. If anything Biden is extremely likable. Probably not prickly enough. I wish he was a lot more combative.
Quote:
"I went to law school on a full academic scholarship, the only one in my class who had a full academic scholarship," Biden said. "The first year in law school, I decided I didn’t want to be in law school and ended up in the bottom two-thirds of my class. And then decided I wanted to stay, went back to law school and, in fact, ended up in the top half of my class."

Biden also claimed he "graduated with three degrees from undergraduate school."
As you can probably guess, Biden did not go to law school on a full academic scholarship (he got a partial scholarship based on need, not on academics), did not graduate with three degrees from undergraduate school, and finished 76th out of 87 students in his law school, which is not even close to being in the top half. If you watch the video at the link he makes a few other claims that are unlikely to be true (like that he won the international moot court competition), and he certainly comes off as a little prickly (in fact, you can leave off the ly suffix) in that video.

Granted, Trump lies so often that it is news when he tells the truth. But Biden's no George Washington.

I do love that PolitiFact ends up dinging the ad the video comes from because "We found no reports that Biden repeated the claims after 1987." You mean after he got caught?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2024, 09:39 PM   #124
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
As you can probably guess, Biden did not go to law school on a full academic scholarship (he got a partial scholarship based on need, not on academics), did not graduate with three degrees from undergraduate school, and finished 76th out of 87 students in his law school, which is not even close to being in the top half. If you watch the video at the link he makes a few other claims that are unlikely to be true (like that he won the international moot court competition), and he certainly comes off as a little prickly (in fact, you can leave off the ly suffix) in that video.

Granted, Trump lies so often that it is news when he tells the truth. But Biden's no George Washington.

I do love that PolitiFact ends up dinging the ad the video comes from because "We found no reports that Biden repeated the claims after 1987." You mean after he got caught?
As opposed to Trump, who repeats the same lies, day after day, even after he has been caught repeated times on video and his own socials. Biden may have been a bit bumbly around the edges with the truth, sure. But Trump has never met the word except on the masthead of his website.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2024, 10:20 PM   #125
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

What I love about this thread is exactly what I expected: rational, objective, unbiased commentary.

lol

None of this changes the fact that IMO the upcoming election will be a choice between two candidates who suck for a wide variety of reasons...which I seem to say every 4 years...and it's not hard to understand, really. What truly qualified person who you'd actually WANT to be president in their right mind would want the job?
bigred is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2024, 11:20 PM   #126
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
the upcoming election will be a choice between two candidates who suck for a wide variety of reasons...which I seem to say every 4 years...
In 2016, the Republican Party nominated Joffrey Baratheon, and the DP saw to it that the only way to vote against him was to vote for Petyr Baelish. In 2020, the RP stuck with Joffrey again, and the DP saw to it that the only way to vote against him was to vote for Pycelle. 2024 is a repeat of 2020 except that Pycelle has only gotten even pycellier and some of the Democrats have started pretending that he's Tyrion Lannister.

Last edited by Delvo; 20th February 2024 at 11:22 PM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2024, 12:00 AM   #127
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
In 2016, the Republican Party nominated Joffrey Baratheon, and the DP saw to it that the only way to vote against him was to vote for Petyr Baelish. In 2020, the RP stuck with Joffrey again, and the DP saw to it that the only way to vote against him was to vote for Pycelle. 2024 is a repeat of 2020 except that Pycelle has only gotten even pycellier and some of the Democrats have started pretending that he's Tyrion Lannister.
Yes, but you can’t expect that a lady on a dragon is going to turn up and if she did she might burn down the whole kingdom. So, you know, if you’re just going to make up fictional analogies then you’re not likely to get serious discussion.
Old 21st February 2024, 12:01 AM   #128
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

In the game of thrones you win or you die, you do not vote.
Old 21st February 2024, 12:03 AM   #129
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I don't think either Biden or Trump are senile in a way that matters: they won't be in a position like Reagan in "Land of Confusion" where they accidentally press the Launch button.

The problem is that neither one seems to be willing to actually do something for their base:
Biden doesn't because he wants his image as The Moderate who got along with everyone,
and Trump never wanted to do anything for anyone but himself.
Old 21st February 2024, 10:49 AM   #130
Tero
Illuminator

The polls don't seem to reflect elections well. Other than the factvthat they do, if you only count popular vote.

But I came to think of a new factor: what if the fact that a person chooses to answer to a poll only records the angriest voters? The rather neutral voters can still shift till election.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2024, 01:02 PM   #131
Venom
Philosopher

I will vote for the senile old fool Biden and watch him trip and break his hip on this way to the inauguration and smile with satisfaction.

I'm trying to avoid a rightwing takeover of every facet of the executive branch.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2024, 01:54 PM   #132
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I don't think either Biden or Trump are senile in a way that matters: they won't be in a position like Reagan in "Land of Confusion" where they accidentally press the Launch button.

The problem is that neither one seems to be willing to actually do something for their base:
Biden doesn't because he wants his image as The Moderate who got along with everyone,
and Trump never wanted to do anything for anyone but himself.
This is absolutely NOT TRUE.

I can probably list a hundred things Biden has done for his base. And It would still be less than he's done. You're ignoring the inflation reduction act. The investment in infrastructure. You're ignoring the debt forgiveness. You're ignoring the environment. You're also ignoring the legislation he's proposed that hasn't been able to get passed because of Senators like Manchin and Sinema not to mention the Republican party.

Is it everything the base wants and has been demanding? No, but the last Democratic President that has done more for the base was LBJ.

You really need to do your homework and quit repeating this kind of nonsense.
Old 21st February 2024, 03:36 PM   #133
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I can probably list a hundred things Biden has done for his base. And It would still be less than he's done. You're ignoring the inflation reduction act. The investment in infrastructure. You're ignoring the debt forgiveness. You're ignoring the environment. You're also ignoring the legislation he's proposed that hasn't been able to get passed because of Senators like Manchin and Sinema not to mention the Republican party.

Is it everything the base wants and has been demanding? No, but the last Democratic President that has done more for the base was LBJ.

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2024, 03:46 PM   #134
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
What I love about this thread is exactly what I expected: rational, objective, unbiased commentary.

lol

None of this changes the fact that IMO the upcoming election will be a choice between two candidates who suck for a wide variety of reasons...which I seem to say every 4 years...and it's not hard to understand, really. What truly qualified person who you'd actually WANT to be president in their right mind would want the job?
ftfy

If you think these two candidates are equivalent I'd say your opinion needs a tuneup, and maybe clean your reading glasses if you use them.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2024, 03:47 PM   #135
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
The polls don't seem to reflect elections well. Other than the factvthat they do, if you only count popular vote.

But I came to think of a new factor: what if the fact that a person chooses to answer to a poll only records the angriest voters? The rather neutral voters can still shift till election.
It seems likely that in 2020 at least, voters were reluctant to reveal their support for Trump to pollsters. The polling aggregators had Biden winning by about 8 percentage points while his actual win was only by about 4.4 percentage points. Most of that came from Trump showing unexpected strength; the pollsters had him at about 43.5% when he actually got 46.8%.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2024, 03:48 PM   #136
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't think either Biden or Trump are senile in a way that matters: ...

Biden doesn't because he wants his image as The Moderate who got along with everyone ....
Where do you get this crap about Biden from?

Have you looked at his accomplishments? You should.

And Bernie Bros are not his base if that's what you think.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 21st February 2024 at 03:50 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2024, 03:52 PM   #137
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Old 21st February 2024, 07:10 PM   #138
Tero
Illuminator

I'm going to dismiss Nikki Haley. She is too flaky and shows no centrist views. So whatever happens to Trump she will not win against Biden.

Also, they are stuck with Trump. It is possible that MAGA turnout will help GOP rank and file in their elections. By Jan 2025 Trump will quickly become nothing. He will have little input past that.

Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2024, 09:25 PM   #139
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Where do you get this crap about Biden from?

Have you looked at his accomplishments? You should.

And Bernie Bros are not his base if that's what you think.
SOmeone far enough to the left to pleas the more militant progressives in the Democratic Party would get slaughtered in November. A fact they will never admie, since buy into the lost tribe school fo politics.

ANyway, things chage from week to week; Biden is ahead in the polls after Trump had a bad week.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2024, 09:31 PM   #140
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Biden thinks he can pull a magic rabbit out of the hat when it comes to Gaza, and present a Peace and Solution before November.
Because of that, he does really bad things like vetoing a ceasefire.

But that is fantasy, as Netanjahu has never left out and opportunity to sabotage Biden.
Old 21st February 2024, 10:37 PM   #141
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

some no-brainer things that Biden should have done right after taking Office and hasn't, supposedly not to offend Republican sensibilities:
- kick out deJoy from Postmaster General
- get some sane people on the FEC
Old 23rd February 2024, 07:25 PM   #142
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

every heard of Unions?
Student loans?

Biden has not done enough, and needs to do better.
You're kidding, right?

Biden has done more on these issues than any two presidents together.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2024, 09:46 PM   #143
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
You're kidding, right?

Biden has done more on these issues than any two presidents together.
But way less than he promised, or what was needed.
Old 23rd February 2024, 10:00 PM   #144
PitPat
Philosopher

Haley is done, everybody knows that.

There is so much more to go in the next eight months.
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2024, 02:23 PM   #145
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

But way less than he promised, or what was needed.
Making perfect the enemy of the good.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2024, 02:29 PM   #146
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by PitPat View Post
Haley is done, everybody knows that.

There is so much more to go in the next eight months.
I think she'll hang on until the hoped for inevitable irrecoverable crash that Trump has coming his way, in which case, she'll be the only chance the Republicans have left.
Not an unreasonable plan.
Old 24th February 2024, 03:11 PM   #147
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I think she'll hang on until the hoped for inevitable irrecoverable crash that Trump has coming his way, in which case, she'll be the only chance the Republicans have left.
Wasn't that the entire Republican field's plan?

Still, as the only one now remaining, she may have the last laugh.
Old 24th February 2024, 03:13 PM   #148
Tero
Illuminator

It would take a couple of sad...so sad... events, but we could have Nikki vs Kamala. Certainly would sell a lot more "newspapers."

Old 24th February 2024, 05:18 PM   #149
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Making perfect the enemy of the good.
Nonsense. Not describing one thing as if it were another thing is not making one of them the other's enemy. And you already know it... at least in just about any other context but this one, where we keep being told over & over again that we have some kind of duty to pretend that one thing is another.

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Then why put out arguments against him?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2024, 08:51 PM   #150
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I see that South Carolina is projecting The FPDJT at 60% and Nikki Haley at 40%. How stupid do people have to be to vote for Trump? It makes me embarrassed to be a human.
Old Yesterday, 01:30 AM   #151
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

As I ranted about in another thread: we should always be dumping on however is currently in power, just because they are; it's the only way to remind them that they should strive to do better and cannot take your support for granted - all Problems Trump can be boiled down to is his supporters refusing to give him any pushback.

In a two party system, you vote for the lesser evil while at the same time working to make the lesser evil a bit better.
Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM   #152
Tero
Illuminator

South Carolina voters smartly selected Trump to kick out foreigners that are INVADING our country. Direactly from mental institutions and....China! In any case they can't pick Nikki Haley for this job, because she is a foreigner!

But kidding aside, found this:
Quote:
As of my last update, there have been three U.S. Presidents who were first-generation Americans: Andrew Jackson, whose parents were immigrants from Ireland, James Buchanan, whose parents were immigrants from Ireland, and Donald Trump, whose mother was an immigrant from Scotland.
There may be more in the early years.

Last edited by Tero; Yesterday at 07:09 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #153
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Nonsense. Not describing one thing as if it were another thing is not making one of them the other's enemy. And you already know it... at least in just about any other context but this one, where we keep being told over & over again that we have some kind of duty to pretend that one thing is another.
The context is TGZ criticized Biden because he didn't get done everything he promised and that he hasn't done enough. That is exactly the definition of making perfect the enemy of the good in light of the fact Biden has done many great things the nation needed.

IIDB is back, baby!
Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM   #154
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The context is TGZ criticized Biden because he didn't get done everything he promised and that he hasn't done enough. That is exactly the definition of making perfect the enemy of the good in light of the fact Biden has done many great things the nation needed.
No it's not.

I'm not going to support Trump because Biden didn't give me everything I wanted.

But in a Democracy, the important thing is to constantly demand that the one you elected does better.

But I guess most people realize that if Biden wins it will be because his opponent was Trump, not because he is doing such a great job.
Old Today, 02:02 AM   #155
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
It would take a couple of sad...so sad... events, but we could have Nikki vs Kamala. Certainly would sell a lot more "newspapers."
Only one of those events would be sad.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics