IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th January 2019, 01:42 PM   #1
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Microscopes for a broke dude

I got a gift card for Christmas and want to use it for a microscope. I definitely want to see tardigrades and paramecium, but would also love to see gram negative bacteria. Does anyone have recommendations based on price and minimum amount of magnification? Grazie
Old 6th January 2019, 03:05 PM   #2
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
I got a gift card for Christmas and want to use it for a microscope. I definitely want to see tardigrades and paramecium, but would also love to see gram negative bacteria. Does anyone have recommendations based on price and minimum amount of magnification? Grazie
With the info provided, no one can make a recommendation. Do you know why?
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 03:25 PM   #3
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I gave a Skybasic USB microscope to an 8 year old who loved it. Produced nice photos of paramecium. At 1000x it appears it might be capable of seeing the bacteria you're interested in but I have no direct knowledge of it being used that way.

ETA: MicroXplore PC600 TV/PC Digital Microscope is one to avoid, too flimsy and hard to focus. May be discontinued anyway so you may not need this warning.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 6th January 2019 at 03:29 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 02:35 PM   #4
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I once got told there are two types of microscopes
1. The object you want to view is between the lens and the light source
2. The light source is near the lens so the light is reflected from the object

The first sort is great to see the shape of something. Light needs to go though the object. The second sort will show the colour and the object need not be transparent.
Old 7th January 2019, 02:49 PM   #5
Hungry81
Master Poster

i bought myself one of these for christmas.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...AJeb2hNNyAuUt8

celestron cb2000cf. they also have one with a lcd screen, but this one has better magnification so i think I may as well just buy a microscope camera attachment. it seems to be pretty good, but I am far from an expert. there was a thread on here a couple of years back where someone was asking for suggestions onwhat people wanted them to view under a microscope and then the op would post the pics. that might be a good thread to resurrect.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 09:35 PM   #6
cullennz
Banned

https://opticsandlab.com/best-cheap-microscope/
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 11:09 PM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
With the info provided, no one can make a recommendation. Do you know why?
And yet, three recommendations so far.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 11:16 PM   #8
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And yet, three recommendations so far.
But are they any good? That is will gabeygoat do anything except reject the recommendations on sight?
Old 7th January 2019, 11:22 PM   #9
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
But are they any good? That is will gabeygoat do anything except reject the recommendations on sight?
Dunno, but Steve001 might. Hopefully Steve001 might also elaborate on their cryptic comment.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:53 AM   #10
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
I have been patiently waiting for you to take the hint and let us know what the size of the gift card is so we can discuss something in your price range. Also helpful would be a hint regarding what uses you will have for it. All microbiology?

Dr Elaine Ingram has showcased the OMAX 40X-2000X LED Trinocular Compound Microscope with Reversed Nosepiece and 30 Degree Siedentopf Viewing Head and 5.0MP USB Camera as relatively inexpensive yet fully capable microscope for laymen and citizen scientist soil microbiology work. That's going to cost you $450 to $500 dollars but literally has almost everything you could possibly imagine including software to turn your laptop into a monitor and also for making videos capable of being uploaded to YouTube or elsewhere.
Another option slightly less expensive and you need to purchase a camera as an option is the AmScope T490B 40X-2000X Professional Trinocular Lab Education Biological Compound Microscope with 3D Two-Layer Mechanical Stage around 300 dollars. You can upgrade with a camera something like the Celestron Digital Microscope Imager 44421 (or several others in the same range) for about 50 bucks.

Of course you can even get fairly decent microscopes under 100 dollars too, but at that price range you start loosing features and quality/usefulness. Instead of trinoculars you get just one or two, meaning you cant film or photo at the same time as you look. But they can be fun.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 8th January 2019 at 01:57 AM.
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 02:08 AM   #11
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Dunno, but Steve001 might. Hopefully Steve001 might also elaborate on their cryptic comment.
gabeygoat asked for "recommendations based on price and minimum amount of magnification", but didn't specify either price or minimum magnification, so it's hard to base recommendations on those criteria.

His comment "I definitely want to see tardigrades and paramecium, but would also love to see gram negative bacteria." does help with that "minimum amount of magnification, I guess. And the thread title does help with "price", so on both accounts I don't quite agree with Steve001, but gabeygoat could probably help himself by being a little more specific.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 02:07 PM   #12
Steve001
Graduate Poster

The guy said he's broke which indicates he has no extra money to spend beyond this gift card and this gift card has a monetary value we do not know. Members can recommend scopes till the cows come home, but are these scopes affordable?

Last edited by Steve001; 8th January 2019 at 02:13 PM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 02:27 PM   #13
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
gabeygoat asked for "recommendations based on price and minimum amount of magnification", but didn't specify either price or minimum magnification, so it's hard to base recommendations on those criteria.

but gabeygoat could probably help himself by being a little more specific.
Specificity would help a lot.
Old 8th January 2019, 03:22 PM   #14
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The guy said he's broke which indicates he has no extra money to spend beyond this gift card and this gift card has a monetary value we do not know. Members can recommend scopes till the cows come home, but are these scopes affordable?
See? Sometimes it's better to just say what you mean rather than engage in Socratic questioning.

- Seth Meyers
Old 8th January 2019, 03:24 PM   #15
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

And it was hardly an issue for me since I only had knowledge of stuff at the very bottom of the price range anyway.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 03:39 PM   #16
Steve001
Graduate Poster

See? Sometimes it's better to just say what you mean rather than engage in Socratic questioning.
Socrates is fun. Anyway it may be a moot question. Do you know why? Ok, enough. He's not shown up since his post.

Last edited by Steve001; 8th January 2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 8th January 2019, 07:09 PM   #17
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Socrates is fun. Anyway it may be a moot question. Do you know why? Ok, enough. He's not shown up since his post.
Also started essentially the same thread about six weeks ago.
Old 8th January 2019, 07:15 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Gabeygoat has been around for a long time, and has a lot of posts. I hardly think they're a drive-by.

- Seth Meyers
Old 8th January 2019, 10:50 PM   #19
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Also started essentially the same thread about six weeks ago.
Here is the thread. Got two good answers. Or so says gabeygoat.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=333375
Old 18th January 2024, 05:16 AM   #20
dann
Penultimate Amazing

A question for those of you with microscopes who know how to use them and who may also have some knowledge of microbiology:

In the thread about the 'Havana syndrome', I have posted about the so-called Targeted Individuals. Many of them believe that they are the victims of directed-energy attacks similar to what the U.S. diplomats and CIA agents believed that they had been exposed to.

Six months ago, one of the TIs, an alleged MD, bought a microscope. Since then, he has been posting photos and short videoclips on X, allegedly documenting self-assembling nanobots in medicine. He is fond of coming up with new names for things to make them sound as if what he's doing is science:
Quote:
Microscopy of KAMS (Kinetically Active Micro Structures): From August 18, 2023 To January 13, 2024 - That's 149 Days., by @PSardonicus

This is not Biology. This is Technology. A conversation starter with your medical provider https://open.substack.com/pub/lenber...from-august-18
Len Ber MD (X, Jan 14, 2024)
(Includes a 16-second-long videoclip of the alleged 'kinetically active micro structures!)

My question to you guys is:
What has he actually recorded? The clip shows little black dots moving around, but I have no idea what those little black dots are. Nothing makes me think that they are not biological, and he has never explained why he thinks they aren't. (He doesn't have to: He has made it clear that he thinks pharmaceutical companies are out to get us with nanobots in order to somehow control our minds.)

But what exactly are the little black dots?

Here is another one:
Quote:
Reconstitution of Microchips in Urine., by @PSardonicus
https://open.substack.com/pub/lenber...owWelcome=true
Len Ber (X, Dec 23, 2023)

I don't know what the photo shows or what makes him think that it's a microchip, but I assume he got the idea from QAnon and their fear of microchips in the vaccines.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 18th January 2024 at 05:19 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2024, 06:02 AM   #21
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

They remind me a lot of daphniaWP, a small crustacean a.k.a. water fleas, that bounce around like that in pond water. Add a weird background and dodgy focus and they'd look a lot like that. My tropical fish love them and gobble them up in a jiffy
Old 18th January 2024, 07:22 AM   #22
dann
Penultimate Amazing

When I was a kid, I had a small terrapin, which I fed with daphnia.
However, I don't think that's it. If I remember correctly, he claimed that what he has been studying through the microscope all this time was a mixture of some kind of dental fluid and human blood. His own, I assume.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2024, 07:45 AM   #23
Masque
Scholar

He appears to have discovered Brownian motion. A picture of pollen in water would look a lot like that.
Masque is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2024, 08:43 AM   #24
dann
Penultimate Amazing

A likely explanation, I think.
It seems to be more random than, e.g. bacteria moving by means of flagella.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 18th January 2024, 08:51 AM   #25
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by dann View Post
When I was a kid, I had a small terrapin, which I fed with daphnia.
However, I don't think that's it. If I remember correctly, he claimed that what he has been studying through the microscope all this time was a mixture of some kind of dental fluid and human blood. His own, I assume.
Well, yeah, but he's pushing a CT so might have made up any old crap to 'support' it.
Old 18th January 2024, 10:32 AM   #26
dann
Penultimate Amazing

He might have, but he appears to be a genuine believer.

I give him credit for posting the two video conversations he had with Robert Baloh and Robert Bartholomew:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I AGREE

I still consider him to be the honest kind of conspiracy believer.
In the case of his 'Kinetically Active Micro Structures', I don't think he actually knows what they are and deliberately presents them as something he knows they aren't.
But on the other hand, I doubt that he will give up on his idea when confronted with the truth.
Old 18th January 2024, 11:04 AM   #27
Masque
Scholar

Not that it means much one way or the other, but I can't help but notice that "Kinetically Active Micro Structures" is a particularly obfuscatory way of saying "small moving things". Although, he seems to be doing a lot of work for some minor leg-pulling, if that's what he intended.

Last edited by Masque; 18th January 2024 at 11:06 AM. Reason: add "doing"
Masque is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2024, 03:20 PM   #28
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
He might have, but he appears to be a genuine believer.

I give him credit for posting the two video conversations he had with Robert Baloh and Robert Bartholomew:

I AGREE

I AGREE

I still consider him to be the honest kind of conspiracy believer.
In the case of his 'Kinetically Active Micro Structures', I don't think he actually knows what they are and deliberately presents them as something he knows they aren't.
But on the other hand, I doubt that he will give up on his idea when confronted with the truth.
You might think that with the availability of microscopes and scientists, someone else might have noticed this phenomenon in the last 433 years. You might ask Robert Hooke what he saw but he's been dead for almost as long.

Wait??? Robert Hooke is dead?? I guess they got him.
Old 18th January 2024, 04:32 PM   #29
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Yeah, I was going to say "Brownian Motion" and "Out of Focus" too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSe3TFLYcO8

(Good example of Brownian Motion of fat globules being buffetted by water molecules in diluted milk.)
Old 18th January 2024, 05:40 PM   #30
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

For anyone who would like to repeat the experiment or, better yet, continue the research, check out:

USB Microscopes

You can get started for under $20.
Old 18th January 2024, 05:49 PM   #31
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Have a look at the phase contrast images on this page https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...8FA3FE&first=1 . None of them exhibit the colors seen in the images on his page. I have no experience with phase contrast methods but my understanding is it’s used to resolve microbiological subjects in aqueous suspension where there is very little difference in the index of refraction of the subject and the medium it’s suspended in.

My job at an inkjet printer startup was identification of fine particle contaminants that could clog the inkjet orifices. I used a polarized light microscope as my primary tool and these images look very much like they were taken under “crossed olars”, i.e. the sample is placed between two polarizing filters rotated so their polarizing axes are 90 degrees apart. The bright primary colors in his images are characteristic of some materials under crossed polars.

There may be other explanations for the images; I used microscopes successfully in my work but I don’t consider myself an expert microscopist. I think he’s at best misguided in what he’s presented and regardless he’s an obvious CTist.
Old 19th January 2024, 05:51 AM   #32
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I have replied to his tweet and linked to this thread and to Wikipedia:
Quote:
People who know more about physics than I do tell me that Len Ber's moving dots are probably exhibiting Brownian motion:
https://internationalskeptics.com/fo...6#post14242986
Brownian motion
DannSim (X, Jan 19, 2024)

Last edited by dann; 19th January 2024 at 05:54 AM.
Old 19th January 2024, 07:45 AM   #33
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I don't think that's brownian motion, there's stationary stuff there that isn't being buffeted at the same scale, and look at the two thingies bumping uglies in the center right of the middle video. I think it's your garden variety animalcules. If that's from his spit, tell him nanobots hate fluoride so he should brush his teeth more often.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2024, 08:23 AM   #34
dann
Penultimate Amazing

That's not the kind of advice I tend to give to TIs.
As for the stationary stuff, whatever it is, I would assume that it would be too large to be visibly affected by Brownian motion.
But I haven't looked at anything through a microscope since middle school, which is why I'm asking those of you who have.
At first, I thought that the black dots might be bacteria, but the videos I've seen of Brownian motion seem to come closer, i.e. the motion of the dots seems to be entirely random.

Last edited by dann; 19th January 2024 at 08:27 AM.
Old 28th January 2024, 09:12 AM   #35
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Not that it means much one way or the other, but I can't help but notice that "Kinetically Active Micro Structures" is a particularly obfuscatory way of saying "small moving things". Although, he seems to be doing a lot of work for some minor leg-pulling, if that's what he intended.

Len Ber is back.
He now insists that another one of his made-up terms, in this case for the 'Havana Syndrome', "Non-Kinetic Brain Injury" (NKBI), is the correct one: "Havana Syndrome (a term grossly outdated, as it is correctly called NKBI - non-kinetic brain injury)"
He even tells people drop drop any neurologist who isn't willing to accept his idea:
Quote:
If you suspect you have NKBI (Non-kinetic Brain injury, formerly Havana Syndrome), the first question you ask your neurologist is: Are you aware of Brain injuries not caused by concussion? If not, is he willing to educate himself about non-concussion related injuries? If the answer is no, your next line is “you are fired”.
Len Ber MD (Twitter/X, Dec 27, 2023)
Old 11th February 2024, 08:44 PM   #36
MinnesotaBrant
Philosopher

I got one selling grit as a kid that can do that. I can tell you that I have bought two microscopes for my kid from Amazon and they were expensive crap.

Ron Tomkins
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology