IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Taylor Swift , time magazine

Old 28th February 2024, 05:07 PM   #641
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
BLM co-founder says being a Taylor Swift fan is ‘slightly racist,’ Chiefs Super Bowl win was ‘white supremacist conspiracy’

Not a Swiftie myself, but "racist"? At least she asks "why do I feel like". There's a clue there.
She goes on to explain:

If you spend your life looking for the racism in everything, you may get to where you see racism in everything, whether it's actually there or not. Sort of like pareidolia: "the tendency to perceive a specific, often meaningful, image in a random or ambiguous visual pattern."

It's like the old inkblot test thing. It's just a random pattern but you train your brain to impose meaning on it. Some see bigfoot, some see Jesus and some see racism. I'm not saying racism isn't real, but it isn't "virtually everything" either.
My mind is still reeling at the KC CHiefs win is a white racist conspiracy.
I have no hesistation in calling Ms. Abdullah a kook.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2024, 05:09 PM   #642
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Everything on the holy war links back to that one Rolling Stone Article which claims one source close to Donald Trump, so, possibly that guy who used to own the rib restaurant and became the White House Gardner.

The author is, no doubt a hardcore Swiftie with severe TDS.

Since this is getting political maybe it's time to return this thread to it's fandom roots by posting the only Taylor Swift song/video I'd ever heard before this thread's inception.

Taylor Swift, Bryan Adams - Summer of ‘69 (Live from reputation Stadium Tour)
Taylor Derangement Syndrome? I think we've seen a bit of that on here. "B...but what about her merch!??"
Old 28th February 2024, 05:24 PM   #643
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
...So far it seems that the only use of the actual term "holy war" is from opinion columnist Julia Baird, and her editor at ABC News.
Not at all. My Google search gave me results from Rolling Stone, The Nation, Stephen Colbert, The Hill, something called McSweeney's Internet Tendency, the Toronto Sun, TMZ, the Daily Kos, the Mirror, the Daily Beast, Business Insider, several posts on LinkedIn, Reddit and Quora, frickin' BitChute... and more, which you would know if you'd actually taken the five seconds to do the search yourself, and which would have prevented you from making such a claim.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2024, 05:28 PM   #644
ahhell
Philosopher

BLM co-founder says being a Taylor Swift fan is ‘slightly racist,’ Chiefs Super Bowl win was ‘white supremacist conspiracy’

Not a Swiftie myself, but "racist"? At least she asks "why do I feel like". There's a clue there.
She goes on to explain:

If you spend your life looking for the racism in everything, you may get to where you see racism in everything, whether it's actually there or not. Sort of like pareidolia: "the tendency to perceive a specific, often meaningful, image in a random or ambiguous visual pattern."

It's like the old inkblot test thing. It's just a random pattern but you train your brain to impose meaning on it. Some see bigfoot, some see Jesus and some see racism. I'm not saying racism isn't real, but it isn't "virtually everything" either.
One wonders what they must think of the Beyonce country song?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2024, 05:32 PM   #645
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Not at all. My Google search gave me results from Rolling Stone, The Nation, Stephen Colbert, The Hill, something called McSweeney's Internet Tendency, the Toronto Sun, TMZ, the Daily Kos, the Mirror, the Daily Beast, Business Insider, several posts on LinkedIn, Reddit and Quora, frickin' BitChute... and more, which you would know if you'd actually taken the five seconds to do the search yourself, and which would have prevented you from making such a claim.
Again, I'm not going to do Google searches to try to figure out what citations Julia Baird should have included in her column.

Also, if her source is any one of these other pundits or media outlets, those aren't sources. At this point, the most plausible explanation is that she saw this meme floating around her favorite media outlets, and decided to go ahead and write an opinion piece that references it, because monetizing popular search terms is tight.

If she knows who actually said it, she should include that in her article. If she doesn't, she should remove the quote.
Old 28th February 2024, 05:32 PM   #646
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
One wonders what they must think of the Beyonce country song?
Wait untit they find out about Charley Pride.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2024, 05:58 PM   #647
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Taylor Derangement Syndrome? I think we've seen a bit of that on here. "B...but what about her merch!??"
Possibly made by a malnourished child labourer in some far-flung developing nation, marked up 10 000% then sold to a fan. Worn lovingly half a dozen times before the newest, latest design comes out then discarded into the rag trade only to end up on the back of another child labourer on a cacao plantation.

Those jeans she wore to the Super bowl? They cost $600 and were sold out everywhere the next day. Why do I know this? For the love of dog, please make it stop.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2024, 06:05 PM   #648
angrysoba
Philosophile

Possibly made by a malnourished child labourer in some far-flung developing nation, marked up 10 000% then sold to a fan. Worn lovingly half a dozen times before the newest, latest design comes out then discarded into the rag trade only to end up on the back of another child labourer on a cacao plantation.
The arguments are so persuasive when they are just composed of made up nonsense. TDS and tedious!

Those jeans she wore to the Super bowl? They cost $600 and were sold out everywhere the next day. Why do I know this? For the love of dog, please make it stop.
And??? Do you want her to flog NFTs and golden high-tops? Would you care if anyone did or is it only when Taylor does it? Tedious TDS, dude! Stop bellyaching already.
Old 28th February 2024, 06:28 PM   #649
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If people did not waste their money on Taylor Swift crap they would find other crap to waste it on.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th February 2024, 07:18 PM   #650
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
The arguments are so persuasive when they are just composed of made up nonsense. TDS and tedious!
That's quite the parasocial relationship you appear to have going with Swift. Hopefully it doesn't cross over into anything stalkery. Where have I said anything about her merchandise before?

Anyways, to keep you from bursting a blood vessel, I'll make a few revisions.

Her merchandise is made using union labour with ethically sourced materials and it's sure to be handed down through multiple generations as family heirlooms.

The bit about the jeans? That was actually headline news.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2024, 07:22 PM   #651
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Again, I'm not going to do Google searches to try to figure out what citations Julia Baird should have included in her column.
My point is that the ABC is far from the only source using those words, more or less independently of each other. You claimed that the ABC was the only one. You're wrong.

Also, not every use of quotes is a direct quote of words used by a source. Sometimes quotes are used to indicate a figurative usage. A "holy war" is not necessarily a literal holy war. That said, there are people claiming that Taylor is satanic, is possessed by the devil, is performing rituals on stage at her concerts. That would count, surely?

Furthermore, your abrogation of your responsibility to substantiate what you read has been noticed. If you doubt a source, it's your job to determine whether that source is trustworthy or not. You haven't bothered to do that.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2024, 07:30 PM   #652
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

She goes on to explain:

Is everyone a BLM co-founder now? Seems like anyone that speaks in support of them automatically become "co-founders".

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2024, 07:33 PM   #653
angrysoba
Philosophile

That's quite the parasocial relationship you appear to have going with Swift. Hopefully it doesn't cross over into anything stalkery. Where have I said anything about her merchandise before?

Anyways, to keep you from bursting a blood vessel, I'll make a few revisions.

Her merchandise is made using union labour with ethically sourced materials and it's sure to be handed down through multiple generations as family heirlooms.

The bit about the jeans? That was actually headline news.
Errr… I don’t have any kind of parasocial relationship with Swift. If you want to argue with at least a semblance of good faith then go for it, but if all you have is edgelord nonsense and sneering then there’s obviously not much more to say.
Old 28th February 2024, 08:26 PM   #654
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
Is everyone a BLM co-founder now? Seems like anyone that speaks in support of them automatically become "co-founders".
There's a lot of them if you count people who co-founded local chapters.

Quote:
She is also listed as a co-founder of the Black Lives Matter’s Los Angeles chapter and co-director of the activist wing of the advocacy organization, Black Lives Matter Grassroots.
Old 28th February 2024, 08:50 PM   #655
Stout
Philosopher

They all lead back to the Rolling Stone article and the anonymous source who supposedly said that to the RS reporters. All of them, except maybe the videos, I wasn't about to sit through them for the sake of this thread.

Baird just expanded the term to include those Swift Superbowl AI generated nudes.
Old 28th February 2024, 09:30 PM   #656
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but all of them seem to lead back to the Rolling Stone article, with no specific attribution. I'd be surprised if Trump's and his minions' actions are not consistent with the idea of a holy war, and that certain people here will holler their usual hollers to point out that the exact terminology was not reliably reported, and therefore what is isn't. But it is also true that we have no reason to believe the the words "holy war" were uttered by Mr. Trump or even by his associates. (eta note to Stout)...I looked at a couple of videos, and they are just reporting what was written. No smoking gun.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)

Last edited by bruto; 28th February 2024 at 09:32 PM.
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2024, 11:44 PM   #657
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Okay, that's a fair observation.

- Seth Meyers
Old 29th February 2024, 03:05 AM   #658
Ivor the Engineer
Philosopher

https://www.coldplay.com/emissions-update/

Quote:
On a show-by-show comparison, the Music Of The Spheres Tour has so far produced 47% less CO2e emissions than our last stadium tour (2016-17).
Still not great, but at least they're acknowledging the problems their behaviour causes and are trying to do some things to mitigate the damage.
Ivor the Engineer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2024, 07:10 AM   #659
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ivor the Engineer View Post
Still not great, but at least they're acknowledging the problems their behaviour causes and are trying to do some things to mitigate the damage.
I'd argue that they haven't acknowledged the main problem their behaviour causes, but maybe that's just me.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2024, 07:23 AM   #660
Ivor the Engineer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I'd argue that they haven't acknowledged the main problem their behaviour causes, but maybe that's just me.
What do you consider the main problem? I have an idea what I think the main problem is, but it may differ from your thoughts.
Ivor the Engineer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2024, 07:39 AM   #661
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Their music.

(I thought it was too obvious to be spelled out.)
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2024, 07:45 AM   #662
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My point is that the ABC is far from the only source using those words, more or less independently of each other. You claimed that the ABC was the only one. You're wrong.
First, I apologize for the confusion. I intended that Baird is the only one in this thread of conversation. If you click on the ABC link in this thread, it's an immediate journalistic dead end. I don't like those. You shouldn't either. Without an attributed quote? What's the story you linked? Nothing. It's just a fluffy opinion piece.

Quote:
Also, not every use of quotes is a direct quote of words used by a source. Sometimes quotes are used to indicate a figurative usage. A "holy war" is not necessarily a literal holy war.
Yes. Which is exactly why I was curious to know what exactly was being talked about. That's why I clicked through the link to your story. Turns out, the reporter was talking about nothing, on that score.

Quote:
That said, there are people claiming that Taylor is satanic, is possessed by the devil, is performing rituals on stage at her concerts. That would count, surely?
No. A holy war is a declaration of intent, a call to action, not an accusation of witchcraft. What's the intent? A boycott? A lynch mob? Who made the call? Who's taking up the call?

Or is it all just a journalistic invention? Earlier you said your point was that many journalists are talking about this holy war against Taylor Swift, "more or less independently of each other." I think it's the opposite: All these outlets are more or less dependent on each other. Julia Baird isn't doing independent journalism. She's not on the scene herself, investigating and interviewing and reporting first-hand. She skimmed the same "holy war on Taylor Swift" fluff pieces you found in your search. She saw it in the Daily Beast, or on Stephen Colbert. The closest she might have gotten to investigative journalism would have been reading the original unsourced Rolling Stone article.

And do you think Stephen Colbert did the legwork? Do you think he paid anyone on his staff to do the legwork? Of course not. He paid someone on his staff to find out what's trending, and wrote a bit on it for his show.

Business Insider and Quora speak for themselves. You should be embarrassed.

Quote:
Furthermore, your abrogation of your responsibility to substantiate what you read has been noticed. If you doubt a source, it's your job to determine whether that source is trustworthy or not. You haven't bothered to do that.
I did substantiate what I read. That's why I clicked through your link. The story you posted about a holy war on Taylor Swift was an immediate journalistic dead end. What happened to your responsibility to substantiate what you read? Did you not think to click through any of those sensational headlines, read any of those articles echoing the same sensational phrase, to see what was really going on? Did you not notice that they're all journalistic dead ends?

I'm sure there's a preacher somewhere calling for a boycott of Taylor Swift, or organizing a campaign to get her off the local radio stations. It would have been mildly amusing if all these media outlets and echo chambers were all referencing the same small-town middle-America boycott of Taylor Swift. It's ******* hilarious that they're all not even doing that.
Old 29th February 2024, 07:49 AM   #663
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.coldplay.com/emissions-update/

I'm not sure having a more efficient touring operation counts as a moral choice to help save the planet.
Old 29th February 2024, 07:50 AM   #664
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Their music.

(I thought it was too obvious to be spelled out.)
*spit-take*

Old 29th February 2024, 08:06 AM   #665
Ivor the Engineer
Philosopher

I'm not sure having a more efficient touring operation counts as a moral choice to help save the planet.
I think it is unlikely that huge world tours with 10's of thousands of people traveling to each venue is ever going to be environmentally beneficial. But it is a step in the right direction and perhaps more importantly an acknowledgement that this behaviour is harmful and that it is very difficult to reduce the harm from it.

One potential risk is that it promotes the idea we can carry on doing in the future what we did in the past and technology (and planting trees ) will do all the heavy lifting.

Also, using humans on bikes to power stuff is a terrible idea if the goal is to reduce CO2 emissions!
Old 29th February 2024, 09:24 AM   #666
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

If people didn't buy tickets to her shows, she wouldn't be touring.

Maybe, instead of whining about the damage tours cause, tell your kids, grandchildren and friends' relatives to stop paying for the concerts.

Problem solved.
Old 29th February 2024, 09:39 AM   #667
Ivor the Engineer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
If people didn't buy tickets to her shows, she wouldn't be touring.

Maybe, instead of whining about the damage tours cause, tell your kids, grandchildren and friends' relatives to stop paying for the concerts.

Problem solved.
I think a better option would be a pollution tax on luxury items to reflect the true cost of using the environment as a sewer while doing business.
Old 29th February 2024, 10:02 AM   #668
Lplus
Master Poster

I think it is unlikely that huge world tours with 10's of thousands of people traveling to each venue is ever going to be environmentally beneficial. But it is a step in the right direction and perhaps more importantly an acknowledgement that this behaviour is harmful and that it is very difficult to reduce the harm from it.

One potential risk is that it promotes the idea we can carry on doing in the future what we did in the past and technology (and planting trees ) will do all the heavy lifting.

Also, using humans on bikes to power stuff is a terrible idea if the goal is to reduce CO2 emissions!
What kind of bikes?

I think a better option would be a pollution tax on luxury items to reflect the true cost of using the environment as a sewer while doing business.
But the environment still gets used, so that does nothing useful.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2024, 10:11 AM   #669
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
What kind of bikes?
Doesn't matter. Converting calories into work isn't very efficient, unless the work you're doing is to improve your own body.
Old 29th February 2024, 10:22 AM   #670
Ivor the Engineer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
What kind of bikes?
Push bikes.

Produce food to provide the energy for a human to pedal a bike to generate electricity to charge a battery. The kinetic dance floor made more sense, as people will be moving around at a pop/rock concert (assuming they're not all just standing still holding their phones up). On the other hand people generally don't go to a concert to pedal a bike.

Quote:
But the environment still gets used, so that does nothing useful.
It does something very useful: it signals to producers and consumers the true costs of dealing with the pollution generated from an activity.
Old 29th February 2024, 11:05 AM   #671
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If only we could convert complaints into energy! Why, the peeve thread alone would power a space elevator to Mars! Or a Mars elevator to space! I forget how it works!
Old 29th February 2024, 02:32 PM   #672
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Doesn't matter. Converting calories into work isn't very efficient, unless the work you're doing is to improve your own body.
I think it depends on the work. If the work is motion on land I have heard a person on a bicycle is the most calorie-efficient thing there is.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2024, 02:41 PM   #673
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I think it depends on the work. If the work is motion on land I have heard a person on a bicycle is the most calorie-efficient thing there is.
Maybe so, but you also have to factor in the energy used in the food production that provided those calories to begin with.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events