IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th February 2024, 09:31 PM   #81
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
49% of all murders are done by black people.

Yet black people make up only 13% of the USA.

Its a worthwhile discussion to have.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-43
Counterpoint:

The majority of gun crimes in AUSTRALIA are carried out by whites, or Middle Eastern crime families feuding. Among blacks here, almost zero. Our DNA is the same as yours. So why the significant differences from the USA?

I'll give you a clue: It's not genetics...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2024, 11:58 PM   #82
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Can you think of a better reason??
"Cuz racism" isn't a reason. Or if it is, it is a reason so broad as to be useless.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2024, 02:10 AM   #83
Lplus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Counterpoint:

The majority of gun crimes in AUSTRALIA are carried out by whites, or Middle Eastern crime families feuding. Among blacks here, almost zero. Our DNA is the same as yours. So why the significant differences from the USA?

I'll give you a clue: It's not genetics...
Because Australian blacks (really?) are indigenes and not the descendants of slaves brought to the country?

Because there's such a small proportion of blacks in Australia that they can't form a significant subculture in cities?

Simply because there's such a small proportion of them in the population?
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2024, 03:21 PM   #84
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Do you have any idea the kinds of **** we whitefullas inflicted on our indigenous population?

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2024, 09:42 PM   #85
Trausti
Muse

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Why?

Why is the rate disproportionately high?
Humans are animials. It doesn't make sense to assume that after 100K years of geographic separation, admixture with various archaic human populations, and different selective events that we'd all be absolutely the same.

Fst in humans.

Last edited by Trausti; 7th February 2024 at 09:43 PM.
Trausti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2024, 01:04 AM   #86
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
Humans are animials. It doesn't make sense to assume that after 100K years of geographic separation, admixture with various archaic human populations, and different selective events that we'd all be absolutely the same.

Fst in humans.
Can you overlay mass shooting data on that chart and show that it is relevant to the thread or take your crap elsewhere.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2024, 01:52 AM   #87
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
Because Australian blacks (really?) are indigenes and not the descendants of slaves brought to the country?
As Arth said, do you have the faintest understanding of how slave-like the Australian aborigines were treated by whites?
Quote:
Because there's such a small proportion of blacks in Australia that they can't form a significant subculture in cities?
*Chuckle* Redfern waves at you, ironically.
Quote:
Simply because there's such a small proportion of them in the population?
Ah, you may just be seeing an inkling of why this "genetics" nonsense is exactly that. Ponder that line some more!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2024, 04:31 AM   #88
Lplus
Master Poster

As Arth said, do you have the faintest understanding of how slave-like the Australian aborigines were treated by whites?
but they weren't transported from another continent - which was part of my point...
Quote:
*Chuckle* Redfern waves at you, ironically.
Ah, I only stayed in Surrey Hills that once - I guess the sounds of gunfire don't reach that far...
Quote:

Ah, you may just be seeing an inkling of why this "genetics" nonsense is exactly that. Ponder that line some more!
Population numbers? come on now you're just being coy now...

And what's genetics got to do with it? cultural behaviour doesn't rely on genetics.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2024, 02:56 PM   #89
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

but they weren't transported from another continent - which was part of my point...
This isn't a competition to see which set of British colonists treated the indigenous population the worst, but that really doesn't matter.

- Seth Meyers
Old 8th February 2024, 02:57 PM   #90
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That's a very colourful picture, and it has some numbers on it.

Care to tell us what the everlasting **** you're talking about?

- Seth Meyers
Old 9th February 2024, 01:10 AM   #91
Susheel
Illuminator

How much does the possibility that Black Americans are more liable to be charged for crimes than whites factor into this?
Old 9th February 2024, 02:10 AM   #92
Lplus
Master Poster

This isn't a competition to see which set of British colonists treated the indigenous population the worst, but that really doesn't matter.
NA asked for differences between american gun crime statistics and australian gun crime statistic wrt black people. I put forward some differences.

Do you deny those differences exist?

Perhaps you should ask NA to elucidate his own theory?
Old 9th February 2024, 02:10 PM   #93
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

NA asked for differences between american gun crime statistics and australian gun crime statistic wrt black people. I put forward some differences.
Black American slaves were stolen from another continent and put to work on cotton plantations and bought and sold like property, yes indeed. Slavery was awful and a crime against humanity. Indigenous Australians were systematically massacred, and their children taken from them to be "integrated" into white families in a deliberate and organised government-sanctioned intent to destroy their culture and heritage during a time when it was official government policy to encourage immigration by specifically white Europeans and bar other ethnicities from coming.

It isn't a competition. Both have very good reasons to be very angry at white British colonials. Black Americans routinely have guns, while Indigenous Australians don't.

How do you explain that difference?

- Seth Meyers
Old 9th February 2024, 02:47 PM   #94
Trausti
Muse

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Can you overlay mass shooting data on that chart and show that it is relevant to the thread or take your crap elsewhere.
Trausti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2024, 02:49 PM   #95
Trausti
Muse

That's a very colourful picture, and it has some numbers on it.

Care to tell us what the everlasting **** you're talking about?
That there are differences in human population groups. That difference is an explanation for disparate group outcomes.
Old 9th February 2024, 02:59 PM   #96
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That there are differences in human population groups. That difference is an explanation for disparate group outcomes.
I'm seeing numbers and colours. Numbers and colours aren't an explanation for ****.

In your second map (please learn to use the imgw tags) what's your explanation for the blob of dark in north-east Montana and the two in South Dakota. Are there a lot of African-Americans on those so-called "Indian Reservations"?

- Seth Meyers
Old 9th February 2024, 03:05 PM   #97
Trausti
Muse

I'm seeing numbers and colours. Numbers and colours aren't an explanation for ****.

In your second map (please learn to use the imgw tags) what's your explanation for the blob of dark in north-east Montana and the two in South Dakota. Are there a lot of African-Americans on those so-called "Indian Reservations"?
The numbers and colors reflect Fst genetic distance between population groups. And, yes, there is a high homicide rate on Indian Reservations.
Old 9th February 2024, 04:36 PM   #98
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The numbers and colors reflect Fst genetic distance between population groups.
I'm sorry, did you spring a leak just there?

And, yes, there is a high homicide rate on Indian Reservations.
Why, do you think?

- Seth Meyers
Old 9th February 2024, 04:40 PM   #99
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Racists gonna racist. Though I've rarely seen someone so blatant on here about it.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2024, 04:45 PM   #100
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Racists gonna racist. Though I've rarely seen someone so blatant on here about it.
I agree, but I'm trying to break down why someone is racist. "Racist" is not an explanation for anything - people have to learn to be racist, and they become racist for what they believe are "good" reasons. I want to know what those reasons are.

Mods, if you think a new thread for this line of inquiry is warranted, make it so, but I think this thread is and always has been fundamentally about racism, so I think it's on-topic.

- Seth Meyers
Old 9th February 2024, 05:05 PM   #101
Trausti
Muse

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
If your assumptions cannot withstand inspection, why hold onto those assumptions?
Old 9th February 2024, 05:08 PM   #102
Trausti
Muse

I agree, but I'm trying to break down why someone is racist. "Racist" is not an explanation for anything - people have to learn to be racist, and they become racist for what they believe are "good" reasons. I want to know what those reasons are.
Accepting that humans are biodiverse, just like was accept for all other life on this planet, is an obvious implication of evolution and natural selection. Name calling doesn't change the natural world.
Old 9th February 2024, 06:04 PM   #103
Lothian
should be banned

No, that is a different chart. I asked you to overlay shooting data on your original chart to show that it is relevant to the thread. Of course we both know that doing do will show absolutely no correlation, which is why you posted a totally different chart, which also doesn't prove anything.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2024, 06:33 PM   #104
Trausti
Muse

No, that is a different chart. I asked you to overlay shooting data on your original chart to show that it is relevant to the thread. Of course we both know that doing do will show absolutely no correlation, which is why you posted a totally different chart, which also doesn't prove anything.

Last edited by Trausti; 9th February 2024 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10th February 2024, 12:17 AM   #105
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Accepting that humans are biodiverse, just like was accept for all other life on this planet, is an obvious implication of evolution and natural selection. Name calling doesn't change the natural world.
Sure, people are diverse. Diversity isn't the issue here. The issue is why different groups of people are treated differently. Simply saying "people are diverse" doesn't prove anything - it's a trivially true statement. How and why that diversity affects peoples' behaviour is what matters.

- Seth Meyers
Old 10th February 2024, 12:20 AM   #106
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Cool. So you've shown us what appears to be a correlation. Do you have an explanation for that?

- Seth Meyers
Old 10th February 2024, 12:59 AM   #107
Lothian
should be banned

Still a different chart.
Overlay shooting data on your FST chart to show it is relevant and that propensity to shoot is linked to variation and we can see that the further you vary from one nationality the more likely you are to shoot someone.
Old 10th February 2024, 02:35 AM   #108
Lplus
Master Poster

Black American slaves were stolen from another continent and put to work on cotton plantations and bought and sold like property, yes indeed. Slavery was awful and a crime against humanity. Indigenous Australians were systematically massacred, and their children taken from them to be "integrated" into white families in a deliberate and organised government-sanctioned intent to destroy their culture and heritage during a time when it was official government policy to encourage immigration by specifically white Europeans and bar other ethnicities from coming.

It isn't a competition. Both have very good reasons to be very angry at white British colonials. Black Americans routinely have guns, while Indigenous Australians don't.

How do you explain that difference?
Which difference? NA was referring to differences between homicide RATES given equal availability of guns, not availability of guns in different countries.

You're the one who insists on pushing away from differences in cultural behaviour to differences in gun availability. Are you afraid to discuss differences in cultural behaviour?
Old 10th February 2024, 02:29 PM   #109
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Which difference? NA was referring to differences between homicide RATES given equal availability of guns, not availability of guns in different countries.

You're the one who insists on pushing away from differences in cultural behaviour to differences in gun availability. Are you afraid to discuss differences in cultural behaviour?
Afraid? The actual **** are you talking about? Afraid?

If that's your debate tactic, I'm out.

- Seth Meyers
Old 10th February 2024, 09:30 PM   #110
Trausti
Muse

Sure, people are diverse. Diversity isn't the issue here. The issue is why different groups of people are treated differently. Simply saying "people are diverse" doesn't prove anything - it's a trivially true statement. How and why that diversity affects peoples' behaviour is what matters.
How and why do different dog breeds behave differently? Socioeconomic factors.
Old 10th February 2024, 09:40 PM   #111
Trausti
Muse

Still a different chart.
Overlay shooting data on your FST chart to show it is relevant and that propensity to shoot is linked to variation and we can see that the further you vary from one nationality the more likely you are to shoot someone.
That's not the purpose for mentioning Fst. It's to show that humans are biodiverse. The genetic difference between an English and Bantu person is 0.23. Between dogs and wolves Fst=0.165. So how far away you are from any nationality has nothing to do with it. It's just that there's this pattern that keeps occuring.

NYC

Last edited by Trausti; 10th February 2024 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11th February 2024, 01:01 AM   #112
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

How and why do different dog breeds behave differently? Socioeconomic factors.
Please elaborate. What socioeconomic factors, and in what ways do they affect how people are treated?

To extend your metaphor, different groups of people are like different breeds of dog. They behave differently, for no reason other than that's the way they are. Are you sure this is the metaphor you want to be going with?

- Seth Meyers
Old 11th February 2024, 01:03 AM   #113
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That's not the purpose for mentioning Fst. It's to show that humans are biodiverse. The genetic difference between an English and Bantu person is 0.23. Between dogs and wolves Fst=0.165. So how far away you are from any nationality has nothing to do with it. It's just that there's this pattern that keeps occuring.
Let's grant that there's a pattern. I'm not going to argue that for now. Why does this pattern exist? What does this pattern tell us?

- Seth Meyers
Old 11th February 2024, 12:40 PM   #114
catsmate
No longer the 1

Oh look a decade old rehash of the MAO-A nonsense.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2024, 12:41 PM   #115
catsmate
No longer the 1

This silly genetic nonsense was debunked in the 1970's.
Ah, I remember the 'XYY' nonsense.
But this is the MAO-A nonsense from ~2010.
Some things keep getting rehashed.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2024, 12:44 PM   #116
catsmate
No longer the 1

Debunked before maping of the human genome? Okay.

This merely demonstrates your ignorance. The nonsensical rubbish you posted is merely a newer version of the 'XYY' drivel of the '70s.
Old 11th February 2024, 03:01 PM   #117
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Next thing you know he'll be quoting The Bell Curve.

- Seth Meyers
Old 11th February 2024, 05:34 PM   #118
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Nope, not what I said. Shall I reiterate?

It's not about "homicide rates", and not about "availability of guns". I pointed out that, when gun crimes happen in Australia, the vast majority is by "non-black" people, i.e. races notionally cast as "whites" in the USA.

Which goes against the idea that some genetic factor in "blacks" is a reason/cause of violence in their communities.
Old 12th February 2024, 01:40 AM   #119
Lplus
Master Poster

Nope, not what I said. Shall I reiterate?

It's not about "homicide rates", and not about "availability of guns". I pointed out that, when gun crimes happen in Australia, the vast majority is by "non-black" people, i.e. races notionally cast as "whites" in the USA.

Which goes against the idea that some genetic factor in "blacks" is a reason/cause of violence in their communities.
Yeah, yeah, we already got that - which is why i was referring to cultural differences - or do you think that cultural differences are because of genetics? Personally I don't.
Old 12th February 2024, 10:44 PM   #120
Trausti
Muse

Please elaborate. What socioeconomic factors, and in what ways do they affect how people are treated?

To extend your metaphor, different groups of people are like different breeds of dog. They behave differently, for no reason other than that's the way they are. Are you sure this is the metaphor you want to be going with?
Dude, dogs are not different because of socioeconomic factors. They're different because of selection and ancestry. Just like all other life on this planet. It's never been explained why those forces that affect all other life don't apply to humans.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events