IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump

Old 2nd February 2024, 08:52 AM   #1961
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

A top adviser to Donald Trump’s 2024 presidential campaign has a message for some of the wealthiest Republican donors in the country: Don’t take the former president’s divisive rhetoric too seriously. Susie Wiles made the pitch Tuesday at a private gathering of the American Opportunity Alliance, a group of Republican megadonors....

This sounds suspiciously like the claims in 2016 that once elected, Trump would become "more presidential". How'd that work out?

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2024, 09:22 AM   #1962
Tero
Illuminator

I'm going to declare Trumpism to be over. There is a small chance he will get elected. Nut even then it is over by 2026. He has no term after that, and Rachel Maddow predictions of a dictatorship will not happen. The Supreme Court will have a hard time as Trump will not follow its rulings. But Trump will never have the military.

By 2026 the GOP will have to "regroup" as we say with wars.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2024, 09:31 AM   #1963
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
I'm going to declare Trumpism to be over.
Thank you! Whew, that was a trudge, wasn't it?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2024, 02:39 AM   #1964
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Does Trump drink alcohol, or is he a non-drinker?
He says he's a non-drinker. But he's too prone to lying and exhibits too many of the signs of alcoholism to be taken at his word.
Old 6th February 2024, 01:33 PM   #1965
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The thing I am curious is... how popular is the DC hotel with foreign countries (like Saudi Arabia).

One of the things that raised red flags for people is the idea that foreign governments would rent blocks of rooms in Trump's hotel as a way to "bribe" him. Now that Trump is no longer president, do they still have the Saudis rentng rooms there?
Very popular with such folks when he was President. Now that he's not, and has sold it, not so much.
Old 6th February 2024, 01:55 PM   #1966
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
He says he's a non-drinker. But he's too prone to lying and exhibits too many of the signs of alcoholism to be taken at his word.
There's plenty of other explanations for Trumps mental deficiencies besides alcohol. I've never heard any former Trump insider claim they ever witnessed him drinking. And some of these people have said very insulting things about him, I don't think they'd keep it secret if he was an alcoholic.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 6th February 2024 at 02:02 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2024, 03:52 AM   #1967
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump congratulations to the winnings team

Quote:
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Congratulations to the Kansas City Chiefs on a great game, and a fantastic comeback, under immense pressure. You represented the Great State of Kansas and, in fact, the entire USA, so very well. Our Country is PROUD OF YOU!
Old 12th February 2024, 04:26 AM   #1968
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
Trump congratulations to the winnings team
Stable genius strikes again...
Quote:
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Congratulations to the Kansas City Chiefs on a great game, and a fantastic comeback, under immense pressure. You represented the Great State of Kansas and, in fact, the entire USA, so very well. Our Country is PROUD OF YOU!
Quote:
The Kansas City Chiefs are a professional American football team based in Kansas City, Missouri.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Chiefs

Josh will be so proud.

Last edited by Mike!; 12th February 2024 at 04:53 AM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2024, 08:10 AM   #1969
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Chiefs

Josh will be so proud.
Well, at least part of the Kansas City Metropolitan area is in Kansas, but I doubt he even knew that much.

ETA: WHY IS THERE A KANSAS CITY IN BOTH KANSAS AND MISSOURI?

Last edited by The Man; 12th February 2024 at 08:11 AM. Reason: ETA
The Man is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2024, 01:15 PM   #1970
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

That page starts the story in the midle. Before English-speakers got there, there was already a village, known by French explorers & traders spreadong up the river from Louisianna as French for "Village of the Kansa(s)". There was no Kansas or Missouri state or territory yet. The town predates America's purchas of the territory from France.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2024, 03:16 AM   #1971
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post

Josh will be so proud.
Pretty sure that's the same tweet from 2020 which was deleted/corrected after someone pointed out the error.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2024, 01:50 AM   #1972
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Joy Reid's program today covered things from the Trump/Putin relationship going back more than two decades​.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The American Idiot is Trump of course. Near the end of the 7:44 minutes you get to hear EmptyG and Ron Johnson tell us why we should believe what Trump has to say about Putin.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2024, 02:34 AM   #1973
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

He says Putin is smart, right? Well, in comparison to T****, he certainly is. However, seems we can finally hope the cows are beginning to come home for both of them.

Hans
Old 18th February 2024, 09:11 AM   #1974
Tero
Illuminator

Tens of millions of voters were convinced that the US had strong borders, prosperity and "leadership" under Trump. By Trump repeatedly telling them that. How does that work?

I'd like to have the skill to tell people, and just me telling them makes it appear true.

Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2024, 09:38 AM   #1975
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Tens of millions of voters were convinced that the US had strong borders, prosperity and "leadership" under Trump. By Trump repeatedly telling them that. How does that work?

I'd like to have the skill to tell people, and just me telling them makes it appear true.
It's not just Trump. It's the Republican propaganda machine as a near whole. They've been working hard for a long time to create an alternative reality bubble - one that's not held up by reality so much as held up by psychological manipulation. Trump's taken advantage of that and bent it to his will. Hardly the first time such has happened and it's unlikely to be the last, of course.
Old 18th February 2024, 03:39 PM   #1976
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
He says Putin is smart, right? Well, in comparison to T****, he certainly is. However, seems we can finally hope the cows are beginning to come home for both of them.

Hans
Every morning I wake up and say to myself that "at least I am smarter than T****y". But then I properly wake up and tell myself "But Brian, so's yeast!"

With apologies to Terry Pratchett.
Old 18th February 2024, 03:47 PM   #1977
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Said people are also in an echo reinforcing bubble. They feed on each other.

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
It's not just Trump. It's the Republican propaganda machine as a near whole. They've been working hard for a long time to create an alternative reality bubble - one that's not held up by reality so much as held up by psychological manipulation. Trump's taken advantage of that and bent it to his will. Hardly the first time such has happened and it's unlikely to be the last, of course.
This too ^.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th February 2024 at 03:48 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2024, 08:33 AM   #1978
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Nikki Haley on Sunday mocked Republican presidential primary rival Donald Trump’s demeanor when it comes to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“Every time he was in the same room with him, he got weak in the knees,” Haley told a Fox News town hall in South Carolina. “We can’t have a president that gets weak in the knees with Putin. We have to have a president that’s going to be strong with Putin in every sense of the word.”

https://news.yahoo.com/nikki-haley-n...ycsrp_catchall

Trump bends over for Putin.
Old 20th February 2024, 05:15 AM   #1979
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Apparently, the Presidential Greatness Project Expert Survey has been released again. Trump got dead last with 10.92 points out of 100. Biden definitely wasn't the top, but 62.66 has him tied at 13th place.
Old 22nd February 2024, 12:44 PM   #1980
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Apparently, the Presidential Greatness Project Expert Survey has been released again. Trump got dead last with 10.92 points out of 100. Biden definitely wasn't the top, but 62.66 has him tied at 13th place.
Among the Republican participants in the survey, Trump polled at third from the bottom. They were obviously being generous.
Old 22nd February 2024, 08:21 PM   #1981
Tero
Illuminator

Why do people go to his rallies? Shower heads and all, recycled material. Plus he rambles on, no topic for more than a line or two.

I was big fan of some bands,but I did not need to see any of them more than 3 times.

Old 22nd February 2024, 08:51 PM   #1982
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Why do people go to his rallies? Shower heads and all, recycled material. Plus he rambles on, no topic for more than a line or two.

I was big fan of some bands,but I did not need to see any of them more than 3 times.
There was a group of grannies or some such who went to so many of his rallies that he even pointed them out a few times. (I'd watch a few minutes of a critique of some of the speeches.) I can't imagine a worse way to spend what remaining time I have above ground.
Old 22nd February 2024, 11:30 PM   #1983
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's a cult and cult members can never get enough of their cult leader.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2024, 01:56 AM   #1984
Susheel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's a cult and cult members can never get enough of their cult leader.
I am sure I have asked this question before, but don't remember getting a response. Can you hire crowds for events such as this? In India, hiring people to bulk up audiences for political events is quite common. This has become a primary income source for many people.
Old 23rd February 2024, 03:53 AM   #1985
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
I am sure I have asked this question before, but don't remember getting a response. Can you hire crowds for events such as this? In India, hiring people to bulk up audiences for political events is quite common. This has become a primary income source for many people.
Yes you can.

It's what Trump did for his initial "down the escalator" moment.

And probably has done since.
Old 23rd February 2024, 04:06 AM   #1986
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump says he’s going to get rid of most of The Department of Education but he will keep one person there to make sure everyone is speaking English

Video from Nashville rally in link

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1760890936035537125
]

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 23rd February 2024 at 04:07 AM.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2024, 10:31 AM   #1987
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
There was a group of grannies or some such who went to so many of his rallies that he even pointed them out a few times. (I'd watch a few minutes of a critique of some of the speeches.) I can't imagine a worse way to spend what remaining time I have above ground.
I suspect they have all been terrible sinners and they were inoculating themselves for their eternity in hell. Can you imagine them turning up in hell, being told in great detail about the torments they are going to suffer and Satan being nonplussed when nothing seems to bother them. I mean what can he do that is worse than hours of Trump's trumps?
Old 23rd February 2024, 10:33 AM   #1988
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

He hired a crowd when he made his first announcement at Trump Tower, sorry the renamed Letitia Ann James Tower.
Old 23rd February 2024, 01:36 PM   #1989
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

He also said in Nashville that people that don't support him are a bigger threat to the USA than Putin.
Old 23rd February 2024, 07:10 PM   #1990
Tero
Illuminator

Trump owes a lot of money. Declaring bankruptcy looks bad for the election.
https://apnews.com/article/trump-fra...70729c5f4410e5

Quote:
In the civil fraud case, it will be up to the courts to decide how much Trump must put up as he mounts his appeal. And he may be required to pay the full sum immediately after the appellate court rules, which could come as soon as this summer, according to University of Michigan law professor Will Thomas.

“They have a huge amount of power particularly for someone like Trump who has physical assets inside the state,” Thomas, the law professor, said. “The court might say we’re going to freeze your bank account. Or even worse, they could say, ’We’re seizing Trump Tower and we’re putting it up for sale.’”

Old 23rd February 2024, 09:54 PM   #1991
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

About the President Rankings list:
Washington should be way closer down to where Trump is - they have so much in common.
Old 24th February 2024, 10:12 AM   #1992
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
About the President Rankings list:
Washington should be way closer down to where Trump is - they have so much in common.
Sawdust in their head?
Old 24th February 2024, 10:43 AM   #1993
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Sawdust in their head?
For both, their main appeal to contemporaries was that they were Tall and Rich.
And both spend their time in power looking for ways to enrich themselves.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 24th February 2024 at 10:44 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2024, 11:19 AM   #1994
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

For both, their main appeal to contemporaries was that they were Tall and Rich.
And both spend their time in power looking for ways to enrich themselves.
I think we can find quite a few matching that description.

Hans
Old 25th February 2024, 09:11 AM   #1995
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Yes you can.

It's what Trump did for his initial "down the escalator" moment.

And probably has done since.
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
He hired a crowd when he made his first announcement at Trump Tower, sorry the renamed Letitia Ann James Tower.

I recall one early in this thread where he was talking at some plant that had shut down for the day because of his visit. As I recall workers could either take PTO if they had it, the day off with no pay and no attendance penalty or attend and be paid normally.
Old 26th February 2024, 12:26 PM   #1996
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
I recall one early in this thread where he was talking at some plant that had shut down for the day because of his visit. As I recall workers could either take PTO if they had it, the day off with no pay and no attendance penalty or attend and be paid normally.
That probably wouldn't happen in a union shop.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2024, 12:27 AM   #1997
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
If this is the occasion then it was when he was President:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/17/p...pay/index.html

Quote:
Workers at the Pennsylvania petrochemical plant where President Donald Trump spoke Tuesday were told that if they didn’t attend the event, they either had to use paid time off or receive no pay for the day.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2024, 12:39 PM   #1998
Tero
Illuminator

Trump was worried about illegal aliens coming here speaking "unknown languages." He might not have thought this through. Speaking only unknown languages would put them at a distinct disadvantage for taking over America.

Old 27th February 2024, 04:08 PM   #1999
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
If this is the occasion then it was when he was President:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/17/p...pay/index.html
That's likely the one.
Old 27th February 2024, 07:37 PM   #2000
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

Trump was worried about illegal aliens coming here speaking "unknown languages." He might not have thought this through. Speaking only unknown languages would put them at a distinct disadvantage for taking over America.
Unknown language??? Quick! Somebody call an anthropologist!

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics