IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump

Old 7th March 2023, 06:12 AM   #121
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
What baffles me is, can you imagine a former president expressing themselves this way? Can you imagine anyone expressing themselves this way?

Steve Bannon called trump a "stick of dynamite." Tucker Carlson called him the "undisputed world champion" for "destroying things." Those are some wonderful endorsements.
Donald Trump speaks with the unfiltered directness that a significant proportion of the US Electorate seem to admire (and perhaps wish that they could do so but have to instead play nice). Once again, he is just a symptom of a prevailing opinion of a significant chunk of people.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 06:14 AM   #122
TofuFighter
Illuminator

"Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn." - Alfie

There was an article in The Atlantic today (which you mar or may not be able to read) in which Tom Nichols writes "It is long past time to admit that support for Trump, after all that we now know, is a moral failing.".
That logic will be meaningless to those in the maga camp whose primary concern is 'sticking it to the Dems' though.

I've always wondered how the evangelical christians remain attached to him despite all of his foul behaviour. I used to see explanations like "nobody is perfect and he is seeking redemption", but only the wilfully blind can possible still believe that. It's been previously mentioned in these trump threads that the most likely explanation is that they just aren't exposed to most of it. Maybe the apparent schism between Fox and Toad will bring a little more of that information to their attention.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 08:35 AM   #123
Lurch
Master Poster

I'm convinced that today's American Christians would champion Satan himself if he promised to stick it to their enemies.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 09:37 AM   #124
Tero
Illuminator

" how the evangelical christians remain attached to him despite all of his foul behaviour."

Babies. Trump has saved millions of babies by now!

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 10:09 AM   #125
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Thanks. As it's likely coming from inside the US and pro-Trump, the source is most likely right-wing.

I found this part interesting:

Since these bots are likely being created by a pro-Trump right-wing source, I can infer that they are more than a bit worried about Trump not appearing as popular as he was before. If Republicans believe that, they may be more inclined to vote for someone else like DeSantis.
Or Russia. The other GoP candidates appear to support Ukraine.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 10:37 AM   #126
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I've always wondered how the evangelical christians remain attached to him despite all of his foul behaviour. I used to see explanations like "nobody is perfect and he is seeking redemption", but only the wilfully blind can possible still believe that. It's been previously mentioned in these trump threads that the most likely explanation is that they just aren't exposed to most of it. Maybe the apparent schism between Fox and Toad will bring a little more of that information to their attention.

I don't know if it's still happening, but I remember seeing people drawing parallels between Trump and King Cyrus of Persia, a nonbeliever whom God uses as a tool for the benefit of His chosen people.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 11:18 AM   #127
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I don't know if it's still happening, but I remember seeing people drawing parallels between Trump and King Cyrus of Persia, a nonbeliever whom God uses as a tool for the benefit of His chosen people.
Well one thing's for certain, Trump is a tool.
Old 7th March 2023, 11:52 AM   #128
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

Quote:
Claudia is right.
How does Trump rate her?
Like he does all females: on whether or not she supports him and on her looks.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 11:58 AM   #129
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Or Russia. The other GoP candidates appear to support Ukraine.
The article said the source was likely inside the US, so I doubt this particular bot factory is in Russia. But I don't doubt Russia also has its own factory in high gear.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 12:15 PM   #130
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
"Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn." - Alfie

There was an article in The Atlantic today (which you mar or may not be able to read) in which Tom Nichols writes "It is long past time to admit that support for Trump, after all that we now know, is a moral failing.".
That logic will be meaningless to those in the maga camp whose primary concern is 'sticking it to the Dems' though.

I agree with the first part: most of the Maga idiots live in a pro-Trump bubble watching OAN, Newsmax, and Fox. They listen to right-wing radio and live on right-wing websites, including Trump's.

Considering last night's revisionist history that Tucker Carlson put out last night, I think your last sentence is going to happen.

Take a look:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 7th March 2023, 12:56 PM   #131
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

The article said the source was likely inside the US, so I doubt this particular bot factory is in Russia. But I don't doubt Russia also has its own factory in high gear.
Weren't the 2016 'farms' predominantly out of Macedonia?
Or was that more generalized bot/troll business and I'm misremembering?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 12:58 PM   #132
Armitage72
Philosopher

I agree with the first part: most of the Maga idiots live in a pro-Trump bubble watching OAN, Newsmax, and Fox. They listen to right-wing radio and live on right-wing websites, including Trump's.

Considering last night's revisionist history that Tucker Carlson put out last night, I think your last sentence is going to happen.

Take a look:

Ah, that explains this political cartoon that someone just posted on another forum.

Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 01:41 PM   #133
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Ah, that explains this political cartoon that someone just posted on another forum.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=13350
I thought this deserved its own thread so I started one.
Old 7th March 2023, 01:44 PM   #134
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I don't know but it was determined that the election bots were backed by Putin.
Old 7th March 2023, 02:53 PM   #135
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
" how the evangelical christians remain attached to him despite all of his foul behaviour."

Babies. Trump has saved millions of babies by now!
In the eyes o fthe Anti Evagelicals, that is the exact truth.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 02:54 PM   #136
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
No secert that Several Putin paid trolls farms operate outside of Russia.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 03:44 PM   #137
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
No secert that Several Putin paid trolls farms operate outside of Russia.
One is called Fox.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 06:11 PM   #138
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

In Trump's CPAC speech, it's easy for his opponents to focus on the hateful-sounding stuff and the fact that he's somehow learned the word "retribution", but those aren't the most important things in there to me. The most important parts are when he talked about more mundane policy issues, not . Economics? Too many people are too poor and we need to change things to fix that. (He even brought back the "I am your voice" line from a previous campaign.) War? We should have less.

Other Republicans don't talk like that. Almost no Democrats talk like that. It's been quite a while since even he talked like that. The last time was... when he won. Whatever his problems are in many other ways, he is more aware of and motivated to play into what the people want than most other politicians.

Last edited by Delvo; 7th March 2023 at 06:12 PM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 06:18 PM   #139
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
In Trump's CPAC speech, it's easy for his opponents to focus on the hateful-sounding stuff and the fact that he's somehow learned the word "retribution", but those aren't the most important things in there to me. The most important parts are when he talked about more mundane policy issues, not . Economics? Too many people are too poor and we need to change things to fix that. (He even brought back the "I am your voice" line from a previous campaign.) War? We should have less.

Other Republicans don't talk like that. Almost no Democrats talk like that. It's been quite a while since even he talked like that. The last time was... when he won. Whatever his problems are in many other ways, he is more aware of and motivated to play into what the people want than most other politicians.
He doesn't write this stuff. He can barely twiddle a Sharpie to sign his name without getting a cramp then wandering off in the wrong direction. He has MUCH smarter people write stuff for him. And I'm sure he doesn't know what they have written until he comes to read it...and to go off-script during that reading.

And his speech-writers are more than smart enough to discern what will "play well" with his audience. They do the research and editing. And they will have picked the subjects and how to play them along. Not Trump. He would have no idea what time of day it was.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 06:32 PM   #140
Delvo

Then why don't others, or at least other Republicans, get the same benefit from the same speech-writers?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 06:41 PM   #141
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The one thing he does understand is that his base is largely made up of very simple-minded, low-information, poorly educated rubes. He knows how to talk their language because he's about as intellectual as Homer Simpson. Like is always attracted to like.
Old 7th March 2023, 06:43 PM   #142
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Then why don't others, or at least other Republicans, get the same benefit from the same speech-writers?
I don't subscribe to Norman A's theory that Trump writes none of his own tweets or speeches. Trump thinks he's smarter than everyone else and no one knows how to write better than he does.
Old 7th March 2023, 06:48 PM   #143
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

They're not God/Trump. Donny's speech-writers work for HIM, not other people. They are HIS minions. The NDA's are for Donny, not anybody else.

Besides, Donny NEVER lends his support to anyone else. It's all about him and what's in it for him, all the time.
Old 7th March 2023, 06:54 PM   #144
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I don't subscribe to Norman A's theory that Trump writes none of his own tweets or speeches. Trump thinks he's smarter than everyone else and no one knows how to write better than he does.
The highlighted part is true - agreed. He is utterly full of his own importance and brilliance, and his ego. He is "His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, CBE, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular" equivalent for the USA.

But that doesn't mean therefore that he writes his own tweets and speeches. You can tell when he comes to speak them - he gets surprised by what they say and goes off-topic when it confuses him. As soon as he does that, which is often, you know it was NOT a speech he wrote.
Old 7th March 2023, 07:11 PM   #145
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The highlighted part is true - agreed. He is utterly full of his own importance and brilliance, and his ego. He is "His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, CBE, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular" equivalent for the USA.

But that doesn't mean therefore that he writes his own tweets and speeches. You can tell when he comes to speak them - he gets surprised by what they say and goes off-topic when it confuses him. As soon as he does that, which is often, you know it was NOT a speech he wrote.
I don't think he writes ALL his tweets and speeches, but that's a far cry from claiming he doesn't write any of them. I think it's fairly obvious which is which. I think the vast majority of his tweets come straight from his own pudgy little fingers. The speeches...again, fairly obvious when he strays from his monotone 'just reading words' presentation of the prepared speech and goes off on his side rants. His entire presentation changes.
Old 7th March 2023, 09:52 PM   #146
Delvo

When X has Y write a speech, why would X not have Y write what X wants? And if they don't, then how do different politicians with speech writers end up with speeches which sound different from each other?
Old 7th March 2023, 09:55 PM   #147
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Si Tucker hates Trump passinatley.
This is going to be fun.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th March 2023, 09:56 PM   #148
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The one thing he does understand is that his base is largely made up of very simple-minded, low-information, poorly educated rubes. He knows how to talk their language because he's about as intellectual as Homer Simpson. Like is always attracted to like.
But despite being not very bright, Homer Simpson has a good heart. Can't say that about Donnie.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th March 2023, 10:48 PM   #149
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

When X has Y write a speech, why would X not have Y write what X wants?
That's not the only option. For example, if X is the racist, stupid, fascist but popular face of the outfit and Y is the cunning brains, Y might craft something that sounds like what X likes but says what Y wants.

Quote:
And if they don't, then how do different politicians with speech writers end up with speeches which sound different from each other?
Umm...because they are different speechwriters?? And different politicians?? With different agendas?? Is this too hard?
Old 7th March 2023, 10:57 PM   #150
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think he writes ALL his tweets and speeches, but that's a far cry from claiming he doesn't write any of them. I think it's fairly obvious which is which. I think the vast majority of his tweets come straight from his own pudgy little fingers.
Previously, that could have been the case. Nowadays, I'm willing to bet most of Trump's written output including tweets is vetted by his team. Given what we have seen from him so far including pussy-grabbing, and knowing the sort of crass vindictive scumbag he really is with everyone, I can only imagine what his tweets said BEFORE they were "corrected". Can you imagine if his spoken output was tweeted uncensored? Every second word would be an F-bomb, and just about every other a C-bomb. How would that play with the evangelicals! What do you think the original tweet about George Conway actually started as?

Quote:
The speeches...again, fairly obvious when he strays from his monotone 'just reading words' presentation of the prepared speech and goes off on his side rants. His entire presentation changes.
He goes on the side rants BECAUSE he has never seen the speech before. He is only just realising what it says, and without even thinking (i.e. as usual), does his best to sabotage what the speech-writers had crafted to play as they wanted by going off-script. He must be the most dreadful client to speech-write for...
Old 7th March 2023, 11:42 PM   #151
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

...and I'm sure he doesn't know what they have written until he comes to read it. ....
Assumes facts not in evidence.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2023, 11:46 PM   #152
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

...Nowadays, I'm willing to bet most of Trump's written output including tweets is vetted by his team. ...
You think he has a team?

Maybe he still has groupies.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2023, 06:40 AM   #153
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Just to be clear, you think that "almost" no Democrats have talked about economic inequality in the US? Like, Biden didn't campaign on that, and isn't still routinely pointing out (for instance) the record profits the oil industry is raking in while hurting average Americans? Or Pelosi wasn't creating a whole United States House Select Committee on Economic Disparity and Fairness in Growth to address it?

One has to wonder where you get your news from, and why they hide so much from you.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2023, 06:59 AM   #154
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Read kind of a downer article about the failure to bring Trump to justice for his crimes:

https://www.thenation.com/article/po...-toward-trump/

It basically argues that by now it's too late to get Trump on any serious charges. He's running for President, and the GOP-SCOTUS won't allow him to serve time in prison as long as he's a vote-getter for the GOP. It further argues that AG Merrick Garland knows this, and all but accuses him of deliberately letting Trump off the hook.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2023, 07:22 AM   #155
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Nixon never got convicted of anything, and yet his name lives on in infamy.

No efforts should be spared to bring all the crimes of the Trump presidency to light, even if they won't lead to him ending up in jail.
Old 8th March 2023, 02:24 PM   #156
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Read kind of a downer article about the failure to bring Trump to justice for his crimes:

https://www.thenation.com/article/po...-toward-trump/

It basically argues that by now it's too late to get Trump on any serious charges. He's running for President, and the GOP-SCOTUS won't allow him to serve time in prison as long as he's a vote-getter for the GOP. It further argues that AG Merrick Garland knows this, and all but accuses him of deliberately letting Trump off the hook.
I disagree.
Old 8th March 2023, 02:47 PM   #157
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Just to be clear, you think that "almost" no Democrats have talked about economic inequality in the US? Like, Biden didn't campaign on that, and isn't still routinely pointing out (for instance) the record profits the oil industry is raking in while hurting average Americans? Or Pelosi wasn't creating a whole United States House Select Committee on Economic Disparity and Fairness in Growth to address it?

One has to wonder where you get your news from, and why they hide so much from you.
Here's what goes on with that. The rural white population hears Democrats talk about economic inequality. Then as soon as someone brings up how much harder the problem hits minorities, they immediately tune out and assume Democrats only want to do things for black people in order to buy their vote, and that their own needs will be ignored. They're ripe for being told Republicans can help them by keeping out illegal immigrants and getting lazy people off welfare and ending affirmative action and all things woke.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Last edited by gnome; 8th March 2023 at 02:50 PM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2023, 02:56 PM   #158
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I disagree.
Look at the source. The Nation has been highly critical of the BIden adminstration form day one because it is not far enough to the left for them.
I get the impression they are bunch of still angry Berniebros.
They artical also ignore that the feds are not the only ones that can indict Trump.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th March 2023, 03:51 PM   #159
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Look at the source. The Nation has been highly critical of the BIden adminstration form day one because it is not far enough to the left for them.
You don't have to be far-left to believe Merrick Garland has been dragging his heels, for which he has been widely criticized. Jan. 6 was more than two years ago, and the evidence against Trump is overwhelming.
https://www.vox.com/2021/7/29/225943...ice-department
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...in-a-quandary/
https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...ation-00045502

Last edited by Bob001; 8th March 2023 at 03:54 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2023, 04:13 PM   #160
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
You don't have to be far-left to believe Merrick Garland has been dragging his heels, for which he has been widely criticized. Jan. 6 was more than two years ago, and the evidence against Trump is overwhelming.
https://www.vox.com/2021/7/29/225943...ice-department
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...in-a-quandary/
https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...ation-00045502
Maybe to you, maybe not to a lawyer.
And I can understant being cautious. You do not want to make thiws look like a political vendetta. he needs every legal t crossed and I dotted.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics