IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st June 2023, 06:50 PM   #81
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Approximately 10% have concave, inward facing, navals.
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Wait, only 10% of people have an innie? I find that hard to believe.
Because it's not true. The split is the other direction: around 90% innie and 10% outie.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2023, 06:58 PM   #82
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Because it's not true. The split is the other direction: around 90% innie and 10% outie.
That makes more sense.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2023, 07:10 PM   #83
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

80+% or so have an innie as opposed to an outie, but belly button aficionados have so many shape breakdowns that a pure round concavity occurs less often than you would think.
Old 1st June 2023, 08:43 PM   #84
jadebox
Master Poster

Until recently, I thought it was just some form of perception bias. But when standing around a camp fire, the smoke really does tend to always blow towards you.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 01:55 AM   #85
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
(reading in context) Moths? Or butterflies?
I should have been more specific and/or detailed (I was on my tab) and checked auto-correct hadn't buggered things up. Must take more care...

Approximately 10% of humans have outward facing navels.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.

Last edited by catsmate; 2nd June 2023 at 01:57 AM.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 01:58 AM   #86
catsmate
No longer the 1

Yeah, that post was (due to tablet and keyboard, at least that's my excuse) rather buggered up. 10% are 'outie'.
Less AI meetings, more sleep.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 05:59 AM   #87
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Human jaw shrinkage - jaws have been progressively getting smaller and oral cavities lower in volume within the past several thousand years.

Kind of scary thinking of all of the people getting braces and having teeth pulled these days. And sleep apnea?!
Just yesterday I saw an AYFKM* internet ad -- Joe Rogan plugging a system for strengthening your jaw. My impression was that it would lead to all sorts of TMJ problems.

*Are You ******* Kidding Me?
Old 2nd June 2023, 06:16 AM   #88
wobs
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Human jaw shrinkage - jaws have been progressively getting smaller and oral cavities lower in volume within the past several thousand years.

Kind of scary thinking of all of the people getting braces and having teeth pulled these days. And sleep apnea?!
I'm guessing no one's jaw hit the ground when they learn about that.
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:11 AM   #89
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Sorry... reminded of a what?
I donít think Iíve had a stroke, but I will ask my wife.

Mnemonic, not so obviously.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:14 AM   #90
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Just yesterday I saw an AYFKM* internet ad -- Joe Rogan plugging a system for strengthening your jaw. My impression was that it would lead to all sorts of TMJ problems.

*Are You ******* Kidding Me?
Tongue exercises can help to reduce snoring.

My wife has been very happy since I took this route.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:20 AM   #91
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Skipping everything else and answering the OP question...

I just found out that pineapples are bromeliads. They're the only one that fruits, all other bromeliads flower.
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:44 AM   #92
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Skipping everything else and answering the OP question...

I just found out that pineapples are bromeliads. They're the only one that fruits, all other bromeliads flower.
A long time ago I learned that the strawberry is a member of the rose family. Only recently, I learned that raspberries and blackberries are also in the same family.

Oh, and also apples, almonds, peaches ......
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:08 PM   #93
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Only sort of a scientific fact, but I just found out why Pringles all have the same shape: they are made from the same kind of powder used to make instant mashed potatoes and molded. For the same reason, they cannot legally be called "chips".
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:11 PM   #94
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Only sort of a scientific fact, but I just found out why Pringles all have the same shape: they are made from the same kind of powder used to make instant mashed potatoes and molded. For the same reason, they cannot legally be called "chips".
Reminds me of "almost pizza".

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:39 PM   #95
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I donít think Iíve had a stroke, but I will ask my wife.

Mnemonic, not so obviously.
Blame it on auto correct. Just like everybody else does.
Old 2nd June 2023, 01:09 PM   #96
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
At least they don't actually look like potato chips vs having to double check to make sure the ice cream you are picking up actually says ice cream on the label.
Old 2nd June 2023, 01:19 PM   #97
sphenisc
Philosopher

Astronomers have captured hundreds of mysterious filaments pointing towards the Milky Way’s supermassive black hole. galaxy. The strange horizontal strands are 25,000 light years from Earth, with scientists comparing them to the dots and dashes of Morse code floating through space. They spell out "We apologize for the inconvenience."

I might've made the last bit up.
Old 2nd June 2023, 05:22 PM   #98
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

This one needs some 'splainin'. As the words are used by botanists, all flowers produce fruits and all fruits come from flowers, so every species in existence does both or neither. Could this have meant that pineapple plants are the only bromeliads that produce a fruit we would normally think of as fruit in the culinary sense, and/or that other bromeliads' flowers are more like what we normally think of as flowers in the "getting flowers from the florist" sense?

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
A long time ago I learned that the strawberry is a member of the rose family. Only recently, I learned that raspberries and blackberries are also in the same family.

Oh, and also apples, almonds, peaches ......
Plums & cherries & apricots & nectarines are not only members of that family but even members of the same genus as almonds & peaches.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 10:07 PM   #99
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Peach makes sense as a stonefruit... did almonds lose their fleshy "shell"?

And what might an almond fruit have tasted like? Half of y'all are trying to imagine that right now. (not a huge almond fan, myself)

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 2nd June 2023 at 10:13 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 10:44 PM   #100
Delvo

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
did almonds lose their fleshy "shell"?
The trees still produce that. We just take it off before sending the nuts out to customers because nobody likes it. The same thing is also true for pecans & walnuts.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2023, 01:28 AM   #101
Wudang
BOFH

I recently was reminded of a pneumonic for knowing whether a moon is waxing or waning: DOC. If the partial moon looks like a D it is heading towards full, O, and if it looks like a C it is past full. So, D is waxing and C is waning. Now Iím wondering if that helpful bit of 7th grade science holds true south of the equator. Hmm.
Or as I heard as a kid "the moon is Cold when it's old".

I posted this when I first read it but for those who missed it. Why tattoos persist - macrophages absorbing the inks. https://rupress.org/jem/article/215/...-explains-both
Old 3rd June 2023, 02:02 AM   #102
Delvo

Instead of letters, in modern times you could learn & remember how this illustration moves; it demonstrates not only the movement of shadows creating the phases but also a few other things about the moon's cyclical movements relative to Earth.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...us_loop%29.gif
Old 3rd June 2023, 03:31 AM   #103
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

It's a little unnerving to see the moon wobble like that.

A tiny part of my brain remembers playing Battling Tops, and knows that wobble's soon going to get worse until it topples right over and goes clattering around the solar system knocking other stuff over.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2023, 04:17 PM   #104
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The trees still produce that. We just take it off before sending the nuts out to customers because nobody likes it. The same thing is also true for pecans & walnuts.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2023, 05:16 PM   #105
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

A snapper (fish) can live to be 60 years old.
Old 4th June 2023, 10:41 PM   #106
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I've been reading Immune: A Journey into the Mysterious System That Keeps You Alive by Philipp Dettmer (creator of the YouTube channel Kurzgesagt - In A Nutshell, and it is absolutely full of moments.

Like the interaction between B cells and T cells. A B cell requires multifactor authentication before it ramps up production of antibodies. It needs to get a copy of the antigen itself, then it needs to make contact with a T cell that also has a copy of the same antigen, which can only happen because all the neutrophils and macrophages at the site of the infection have ripped the invaders to pieces which are floating about in the lymph system. If it doesn't get this second factor, the B cell like so many others will just quietly kill itself.

Great book. Fantastic read and very clear.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2023, 09:08 AM   #107
Emily's Cat

This one needs some 'splainin'. As the words are used by botanists, all flowers produce fruits and all fruits come from flowers, so every species in existence does both or neither. Could this have meant that pineapple plants are the only bromeliads that produce a fruit we would normally think of as fruit in the culinary sense, and/or that other bromeliads' flowers are more like what we normally think of as flowers in the "getting flowers from the florist" sense?
As I'm not a botanist... yes, that is what it meant.
Old 5th June 2023, 09:09 AM   #108
Emily's Cat

Plums & cherries & apricots & nectarines are not only members of that family but even members of the same genus as almonds & peaches.
I get all the fruity-fruits, they're all stone fruits. I can kind of see almonds... but why not other nuts as well? What makes almonds different?
Old 5th June 2023, 10:28 AM   #109
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I recently was reminded of a pneumonic for knowing whether a moon is waxing or waning: DOC. If the partial moon looks like a D it is heading towards full, O, and if it looks like a C it is past full. So, D is waxing and C is waning. Now Iím wondering if that helpful bit of 7th grade science holds true south of the equator. Hmm.
I'm pretty sure it does not. And near the equator the terminator is going to be around horizontal, so it doesn't really work there either.
I just remember that the terminator moves from right to left, as we see it here in the north.
Old 5th June 2023, 12:46 PM   #110
Emily's Cat

How does this actually work? I have confusion. The moon looks like a C when it's a waxing crescent, it progresses to a backwards D at waxing gibbous. Then after full, it becomes a forward D through waning gibbous, then to a backwards C as a waning crescent. I feel like there's something here that I'm missing...

Also, "mnemonic". I don't think the moon is air-propelled
Old 5th June 2023, 01:48 PM   #111
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

How does this actually work? I have confusion. The moon looks like a C when it's a waxing crescent,
Not in the northern hemisphere. It's a backwards C while waxing, and a forward C while waning.
Old 5th June 2023, 02:20 PM   #112
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Not in the northern hemisphere. It's a backwards C while waxing, and a forward C while waning.
Yes, I said it 100% backwards.

Why would hemisphere matter? The sun still rises in the east when you're in Australia, and sets in the west. The moon-sun-earth relationship doesn't get upended by hemisphere does it?
Old 5th June 2023, 02:49 PM   #113
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Picture yourself looking at the moon in the Northern Hemisphere while standing on your head.
Old 5th June 2023, 03:49 PM   #114
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I guess I wasn't totally aware that there is a difference between Julian Date and Julian Day. I think those terms (not the values) are actually used interchangeably. But when I went to an online calculator for today I got this:

A.D. 2023 June 5 22:30:26.0 2460101.437801

My paper calendar says it's Julian Day 156 (or 23-156, or 23156). I had to search and found the below article that explains it. The longer form is obviously more accurate for computing purposes. At least, until January 22, 3268 A.D. (or C.E., as it is becoming called in more common usage.)

Julian Day/Date info
Quote:
Julian date, also commonly called as Julian day, refers to the number of days passed since the beginning of a self-created cycle of 7980 years.

Last edited by alfaniner; 5th June 2023 at 03:50 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2023, 02:43 PM   #115
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm pretty sure it does not. And near the equator the terminator is going to be around horizontal, so it doesn't really work there either.
I just remember that the terminator moves from right to left, as we see it here in the north.
The Moon looks upside down south of the equator. I know, I've been there.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th June 2023 at 02:50 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2023, 02:49 PM   #116
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I knew the magnetic north was wandering but I thought it was headed south. Turns out it's moving north and will end up in Siberia before it moves elsewhere (unless it turns back I guess). It's currently in the Northern Territories of Canada.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Tyson goes on to explain the pole the compass points to is really magnetic south. I let all that go in then back out of my brain. I'll tackle it later.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2023, 03:04 PM   #117
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The Moon looks upside down south of the equator. I know, I've been there.
Is it kind of 'sideways' on the equator?
Old 6th June 2023, 03:05 PM   #118
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Is it kind of 'sideways' on the equator?
Actually, yes.
Old 6th June 2023, 03:13 PM   #119
Delvo

And its waxing & waning phases would look like a bowl & a dome.
Old 6th June 2023, 03:29 PM   #120
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Arrggh. The image I uploaded was too small. Has it always been this way? Anyway ... yeah

Last edited by GlennB; 6th June 2023 at 03:31 PM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology