IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th June 2023, 06:19 AM   #81
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Again, gang related.

Not the same as random mass-shootings by crazy people.
Dude, the article doesn't say anything at all about gangs, just that it took place in a suburban area.
Old 18th June 2023, 06:21 AM   #82
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Dude, the article doesn't say anything at all about gangs, just that it took place in a suburban area.

Its an educated guess.
Old 18th June 2023, 06:27 AM   #83
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Its an educated guess.
What is educated about it? What details in the article lead you to that conclusion?
Old 18th June 2023, 06:59 AM   #84
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

What is educated about it? What details in the article lead you to that conclusion?
Dunning-Kruger University has one of the largest populations of alumnae in the world!
Old 18th June 2023, 07:31 AM   #85
Hercules56
Philosopher

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ival-rcna89914

Ok, here's an actual random mass-shooting.
Old 18th June 2023, 07:32 AM   #86
Hercules56
Philosopher

Party turned violent. Not pre-planned attack upon strangers.
Old 18th June 2023, 07:47 AM   #87
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Party turned violent means gangs? Only gangs have parties, you mean? Walk me through that a little more slowly, please.
Old 18th June 2023, 09:17 AM   #88
Hercules56
Philosopher

Party turned violent means gangs? Only gangs have parties, you mean? Walk me through that a little more slowly, please.
Lets let the news play out.

Personally the mass shootings that I am concerned about are pre-planned attacks upon random people. Not Gang shootings or crime related shootings, or idiots who get pissed off at their friends at a party
Old 18th June 2023, 09:23 AM   #89
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

20 wounded, 1 dead ? That's pretty wild for a party, even for US.
Looks like several shooters on both sides of the argument. Or drive by with automatic weapons ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2023, 09:45 AM   #90
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Personally the mass shootings that I am concerned about are pre-planned attacks upon random people. Not Gang shootings or crime related shootings, or idiots who get pissed off at their friends at a party
I'm not asking you about your meta-concerns. I'm asking you about the bald assertion made: "Again, gang related." There is nothing in the reporting to indicate this. What element of the story made you say "aha! Gangs"? And I assume you meant white supremacist prison gangs? If not, what gangs did you mean to infer and why?
Old 18th June 2023, 12:56 PM   #91
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

2 people killed in mass shooting near Washington’s Gorge Amphitheatre during Beyond Wonderland music festival.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/18/us/go...ounds-shooting
Old 18th June 2023, 01:58 PM   #92
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

How about idiots who get pissed off at their friends at school?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2023, 05:38 AM   #93
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
How about idiots who get pissed off at their friends at school?
Pre-planned mass-shooting? Im concerned.

Not pre-planned? Just another thug shooting other thugs.
Old 19th June 2023, 12:42 PM   #94
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Four People Found Shot Dead Inside Idaho House

Note that this is not a repeat of the last "Four People Found Shot Dead Inside Idaho House" incident.

Quote:
Law enforcement in Idaho said four people were found dead inside a house after a shooting on Sunday night. According to a report, Idaho State Police said a 31-year-old man was detained after officers were called to the scene in Kellogg. The Shoshone County Sheriff’s Office said a call was made at around 7:30 p.m. concerning “four people deceased from gunshot wounds.” “The suspect has been detained and there is no threat to the community,” the sheriff’s office wrote in a Facebook update. A person at the scene told 4 News Now the shooting had come after an ongoing dispute between neighbors, but police have not yet confirmed a motive for the shooting.
I guess they mean there's no threat to the community if you don't include all the right-wing nutjobs running around with guns in Idaho. I consider just being in Idaho to be threatening.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2023, 02:45 PM   #95
Bogative
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I guess they mean there's no threat to the community if you don't include all the right-wing nutjobs running around with guns in Idaho. I consider just being in Idaho to be threatening.

I LOL'd at this after I read the accompanying headline in the story you linked.

At least 60 shot, 10 fatally, in Chicago weekend shootings

Imagine how much more dangerous Idaho would be if it was full of Illinois right-wing nut jobs.

ETA: those numbers include 3 mass shootings.

Last edited by Bogative; 19th June 2023 at 02:47 PM.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2023, 07:04 PM   #96
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Note that this is not a repeat of the last "Four People Found Shot Dead Inside Idaho House" incident.
The fact that this has to be said.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2023, 05:19 AM   #97
jeremyp
Illuminator

The victims aren't necessarily thugs.

And they are still dead leaving behind wives, husbands, partners, parents and children.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2023, 05:26 AM   #98
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
The victims aren't necessarily thugs.

And they are still dead leaving behind wives, husbands, partners, parents and children.
Unplanned mass-shootings are very different than the premeditated ones, where the guy wears body armor, has lots of magazines, wrote a manifesto, etc. Its silly to lump them all together as the same phenomenon.

Last edited by Hercules56; 20th June 2023 at 05:27 AM.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2023, 05:28 AM   #99
jeremyp
Illuminator

Unplanned mass-shootings are very different than the premeditated ones, where the guy wears body armor, has lots of magazines, wrote a manifesto, etc. Its silly to lump them all together as the same phenomenon.
It wasn't you not lumping them together that bothered me, it was you implying that unplanned mass shootings aren't concerning.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2023, 05:58 AM   #100
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Quite a few of these shootings happen at parties, and children are shot. They don't count as legit victims in your view? Well, obviously not. Better question: what trait do the child victims share that makes you "not concerned" about them?
Old 20th June 2023, 08:07 AM   #101
Trausti
Muse

But surely the pre-mediated shootings are far less common than those committed by uninvited party guests?
Trausti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2023, 10:31 AM   #102
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I spent the weekend in Ephrata, in central Washington State. There was a mass shooting at a concert at the Gorge Amphitheater, about 20 miles west.
Old 20th June 2023, 11:01 AM   #103
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Quite a few of these shootings happen at parties, and children are shot. They don't count as legit victims in your view? Well, obviously not. Better question: what trait do the child victims share that makes you "not concerned" about them?

Isn't it obvious? They are the children of 'thugs'.

"Nits will be lice."

Cromwell in Ireland is a hero to look up to.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2023, 11:39 AM   #104
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't it obvious? They are the children of 'thugs'.

"Nits will be lice."

Cromwell in Ireland is a hero to look up to.
"Thug adjacent." *double finger guns*
Old 20th June 2023, 06:50 PM   #105
Hercules56
Philosopher

I am worried about preplanned random shootings by crazy people or terrorists. Unplanned mass-shootings by folks at a party? Not really my problem. Been going on long before Columbine.
Old 20th June 2023, 06:52 PM   #106
Hercules56
Philosopher

It wasn't you not lumping them together that bothered me, it was you implying that unplanned mass shootings aren't concerning.
They don't affect me. I wont be a victim of such an event.
Old 21st June 2023, 12:53 AM   #107
jeremyp
Illuminator

Probably not. But it’s not guaranteed, and if not you, it may be somebody you love.
Old 21st June 2023, 10:34 AM   #108
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The possibility of being within stray bullet range of such an event (or just walking down a street when one happens) is just not a concern, huh? Did you catch the story about the baseball player who was hit with a bullet that wasn't even fired in the stadium?
Old 21st June 2023, 11:38 AM   #109
catsmate
No longer the 1

What about that scenario screams "gang related" to you?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2023, 12:36 PM   #110
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

The possibility of being within stray bullet range of such an event (or just walking down a street when one happens) is just not a concern, huh? Did you catch the story about the baseball player who was hit with a bullet that wasn't even fired in the stadium?
That's just crazy talk.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 21st June 2023, 02:04 PM   #111
Hercules56
Philosopher

Probably not. But it’s not guaranteed, and if not you, it may be somebody you love.
The only thing guaranteed in life is death and taxes.

Yes, I know.
Old 23rd June 2023, 09:00 AM   #112
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Four People Found Shot Dead Inside Idaho House

Apparently, we now know the motive:

Idaho Man Charged with Killing 4 Neighbors Says He 'Lost It' After Wife and Daughter Saw One Naked

Quote:
An Idaho man charged with murdering four of his neighbors has said he 'lost it' after one of them exposed himself to his wife and daughter, according to an affidavit in support of his arrest.

On Sunday evening, Majorjon Kaylor, 31, of Kellogg, Idaho, was arrested after the shooting, according to Idaho State Police, and has been charged with four counts of murder and one count of burglary.

The victims were identified by the coroner as Kenneth Guardipee, 65; his daughter Kenna Guardipee, 41; and her sons 18-year-old Devin Smith and 16-year-old Aiken Smith.
Quote:
Few details have been released about the shooting but Kaylor and the neighbors had a dispute several days before the murder.

According to law enforcement documents reviewed by PEOPLE, Kaylor’s family called the police to report that 18-year-old Devin Smith indecently exposed himself from his bedroom window in view of Kaylor's wife, Kaylie, and their daughters.

“We responded to the call, investigated the call, and the report was done that day and submitted to the prosecutor’s office for charges,” Kellogg Police Chief Paul Twidt told the Associated Press. “I stand by what my officer did, and he did everything he could at the time. Nobody could have foreseen anything like this.”

Law enforcement documents show that Kaylor and Kaylie got into an argument with their neighbors on Sunday evening about the alleged indecent exposure and lack of consequences for the accused son.

According to the affidavit, Kaylie told police she was standing near her husband when she heard gunshots and saw two of the victims fall to the ground.

Kaylie told police that Kaylor said he did what he had to do and to tell their kids he protected them, per the documents. Kaylor told authorities he "snapped" and "lost it" before refusing to talk and requesting a lawyer, according to the affidavit.
Because showing your penis to someone, perhaps accidentally, is worth a shooting, right?

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2023, 03:28 PM   #113
Bogative
Master Poster

Saginaw, Michigan rings in this weekend with 2 killed, 12 wounded.

An argument at a "street party" led to a fight which turned into gunplay.

Quote:
According to Michigan State Police, gunshots and a fight caused panic among the 300-500 partygoers.

At least 5 different caliber casings were found on scene by police.

Must've been the far-right superduper extremist Michigan militiamen i'm always hearing about.

https://midmichigannow.com/news/loca...ty-in-saginaw#
Old 24th June 2023, 04:02 PM   #114
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Idaho Man Charged with Killing 4 Neighbors Says He 'Lost It' After Wife and Daughter Saw One Naked

Because showing your penis to someone, perhaps accidentally, is worth a shooting, right?
That's bug-**** crazy. I mean, it sounds like it was inevitable that something was going to set this guy off, but how damaged by prudish morality do you have to be to think that slaughtering an entire family was warranted by a glimpse of some teenager's junk? He needs to spend the rest of his life behind bars.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2023, 04:06 PM   #115
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

So, you can't offer any reason for assuming that it was a gang shooting. Seems like it was more of an uneducated guess.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2023, 08:12 PM   #116
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

What were they doing looking through his window?

Old 25th June 2023, 04:11 PM   #117
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Kansas City shooting leaves 3 people dead and 5 injured.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/25/us/mi...hooting-sunday
Old 25th June 2023, 04:18 PM   #118
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

What were they doing looking through his window?
Seriously, this.

If people are peering into someone else's window, how the **** do they get to be outraged by what they see?

Surely it is not hard to respect other peoples' privacy and not perve through their windows?
Old 25th June 2023, 11:47 PM   #119
Lplus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Seriously, this.

If people are peering into someone else's window, how the **** do they get to be outraged by what they see?

Surely it is not hard to respect other peoples' privacy and not perve through their windows?
As you say, IF.

We don't know the circumstances. Were they peering through the window with binoculars as the son was putting his clothes on, or was the son standing at the bedroom window overlooking the neighbour's yard fondling his dick?

That said, even deliberate exhibitionism doesn't merit being shot.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2023, 04:29 AM   #120
Parsman
Muse

Again people here are arguing about the type of shootings and killings rather than being appalled that they are happening at all! This kind of thing just doesn't happen with the same frequency in the rest of the (supposedly) civilized world. And for Hercules to adopt an "I'm all right Jack" stance to this is horrifying.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.

Last edited by Parsman; 26th June 2023 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events