IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Taylor Swift , time magazine

Old 6th December 2023, 10:56 AM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

All Hail Taylor Swift, Person of the Year!

And quite right, too. I can't imagine anyone who's done more for humankind in 2023 than my beloved Tay-Tay.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67638424
Old 6th December 2023, 11:05 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

God I can't wait to here about how many people don't care about this.
Old 6th December 2023, 11:12 AM   #3
8enotto
Illuminator

Shake it off, worse choices were possible.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 11:13 AM   #4
Ron Obvious
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
God I can't wait to here about how many people don't care about this.
Allow me to be the first.
Old 6th December 2023, 11:53 AM   #5
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
I have no problem with Taylor being chosen as Person of the Year. I think it's a case of not just worst choices were possible, there isn't a better one.

A brief look back shows Elon Musk, Donald Trump, Rudy Giuliani, Zuck, Putin and Dubbya (twice) all have been made person of the year this century.

In that company, TS is positively a saint.

She's also a woman who has stood up for her principles at the expense of alienating some of her core fans. Pro-LGBT, pro-democracy, anti-Trump... I think she's a great pick.
Old 6th December 2023, 12:04 PM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm an old. Is Taylor Swift the Madonna of these days?
Old 6th December 2023, 12:12 PM   #7
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post

Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.
Old 6th December 2023, 12:19 PM   #8
crescent
Philosopher

I hear that Kanye's gonna let her finish.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 12:25 PM   #9
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm an old. Is Taylor Swift the Madonna of these days?
She's more like the Dolly Parton of the Bourbon Restoration.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 12:36 PM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Taylor Swift and Hitler, yet another thing they have in common! It's getting quite alarming.
Old 6th December 2023, 12:36 PM   #11
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Who?

Seriously, I somehow managed to escape the pull of this Black Hole - I'm sure I heard plenty of her songs without knowing who the singer is - and when someone tells me, I forget almost instantly.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 6th December 2023 at 12:38 PM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 12:49 PM   #12
angrysoba
Philosophile

Time magazine editors are trying to stay hip as they heard that their grand daughters were listening to Taylor Swift on their CD players in their retirement homes. It was a toss-up between her or U2 with their ground-breaking residency in Las Vegas.
Old 6th December 2023, 12:51 PM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

She made millions of people happy, while literally doing nothing wrong. It's hard to imagine a better candidate for the title.
Old 6th December 2023, 12:56 PM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
She made millions of people happy, while literally doing nothing wrong. It's hard to imagine a better candidate for the title.
"Taylor Swift is a better person than Hitler" is the implication. Yes, I think that's about right. Well done!
Old 6th December 2023, 01:02 PM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Taylor Swift is a better person than probably the majority of people who have received the title.
Old 6th December 2023, 01:13 PM   #16
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Taylor Swift is a better person than probably the majority of people who have received the title.
Her particular station in life limits the bad she can do, so it is an uneven playing field for other candidates.
Old 6th December 2023, 01:43 PM   #17
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Her particular station in life limits the bad she can do, so it is an uneven playing field for other candidates.
"Challenge accepted!" thought Taylor Swift, perusing the forum in her disguise. "I shall wreak a terrible destruction, one that will devastate the souls of all who consider it! Oh, my, yes."
Old 6th December 2023, 01:50 PM   #18
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I've never heard a Taylor Swift song.
Old 6th December 2023, 01:54 PM   #19
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

If somehow, someway, you don't know any women under 40 or girls, and hadn't actually heard that song but just didn't know who it was... there ya go.

I mean I've heard that from people's phone ringtones.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 01:56 PM   #20
lobosrul5
Philosopher

She's a billionaire, she could do lots more than a normal person to **** **** up for other people.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 01:58 PM   #21
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

That song is forgettable.
Old 6th December 2023, 02:01 PM   #22
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
She's a billionaire, she could do lots more than a normal person to **** **** up for other people.
Indeed. She could hire one billion-dollar assassin, or a billion one-dollar assassins, to teach us all a lesson!
Old 6th December 2023, 02:02 PM   #23
plague311
Great minds think...

What the **** are you talking about? She has a massive, massive following on every social media platform she decides to be on. She started dating an NFL player and THEIR ******* SALES WENT UP. She's stood up to recording studios, including re-recording her entire catalog to get out from under their thumb, and she's philanthropic as well.

All around she's an amazing person and everyone that hops in and is like, "Who? Don't know, don't care about some pop person" is doing the same thing you're doing. Dismissing her because of one facet of her life, which admittedly made her wealthy. The fact you saying "lets hold off on the celebration" is WAY too late. The choice has been made and no one involved in it gave a flying ******* what Samson has to say about Taylor's views. Nothing to debate.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 02:03 PM   #24
plague311
Great minds think...

Tons of songs are forgettable if you aren't a fan of the music. It's fine if you're not. The fact is she's dripping with accolades from her music career. I don't like country or classical music, but as a musician I recognize the talent and skill it takes to create that music.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 02:04 PM   #25
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Its "bubblegum pop" and decidedly, not my kind of music, and I'd never intentionally listen to it, but I find it to be quite the earwig.
Old 6th December 2023, 02:09 PM   #26
The_Animus
Illuminator

Having tons of money and followers limits the bad she can do?

How clueless can you get
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 02:14 PM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I've heard worse music. She's no Taylor Dayne, but she gets by.
Old 6th December 2023, 02:18 PM   #28
mumblethrax
Species traitor

King Charles was apparently one of the other finalists, so I support this choice. He's pitchy as hell.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 02:19 PM   #29
Ron Obvious
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
What the **** are you talking about? She has a massive, massive following on every social media platform she decides to be on. She started dating an NFL player and THEIR ******* SALES WENT UP.
NFL players have sales? I just don't understand this celebrity culture.
Old 6th December 2023, 02:19 PM   #30
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Blank Space" is legit one of the better pop songs to come out in recent years.

Not a personal fan but have zero against her.
Old 6th December 2023, 02:23 PM   #31
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
NFL players have sales? I just don't understand this celebrity culture.
I think he meant team apparel sales for the KC Chiefs went up.
Old 6th December 2023, 02:24 PM   #32
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Yes you have.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I've heard worse music. She's no Taylor Dayne, but she gets by.
Yeah, especially her "Taylor's Version" albums, where in order to get out of a constrictive recording contract, she fully re-recorded her old albums from scratch so that she could retain creative control over the music.

And they're actually really good. You might not be into the genre, that's a matter of taste, but it's hard to deny that the songs are good.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 02:26 PM   #33
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

If somehow, someway, you don't know any women under 40 or girls, and hadn't actually heard that song but just didn't know who it was... there ya go.

I mean I've heard that from people's phone ringtones.
OK. If that's typical, then it is possible that I've never heard one of her songs before either.

Weird. I was assuming that I would have heard something.

However, my various radios have been on classical music stations for decades, so I guess there's not much opportunity for me to hear her work.

I recently found out about Katy Perry because of an advert for a food delivery service, I think this demonstrates that I'm as far out of touch with 'bubblegum music' as it is possible to be.

Other than the announcement, what does the 'person of the year' do?
Old 6th December 2023, 02:26 PM   #34
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

She's helped me out in several quizzes, her and her mate Ed. Any musical questions about a female my suggestion is always Swift, any about a male and my answer is Ed. For some reason my team mates don't turn to me for answers to music questions.
Old 6th December 2023, 02:30 PM   #35
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Other than the announcement, what does the 'person of the year' do?
Not a lot. It's just Time magazine's recognition of the person they deem most influential in that year. They don't have to be a good person, just influential. In 1938, the Person of the Year was Adolf Hitler.

So it's more or less completely irrelevant. Time is a large and influential periodical - or at least it has been for most of its history - so in terms of celebrity status it's pretty influential. But it doesn't really mean anything other than that.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 02:32 PM   #36
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I recently found out about Katy Perry because of an advert for a food delivery service, I think this demonstrates that I'm as far out of touch with 'bubblegum music' as it is possible to be.
I'm outraged that Katy Perry has never been Time's person of the year. I mean, her cat was named Kitty Purry. She deserves recognition for that alone.

Meanwhile, Taylor Swift's cats are Meredith Grey, Olivia Benson and Benjamin Button. I'm sure she's a nice person and all, but that's nothing.
Old 6th December 2023, 02:32 PM   #37
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Technically speaking I am a, I believe, 3 times Person of the Year Winner and I believe I can safely report that the office carries little in the way of official duties.
Old 6th December 2023, 02:38 PM   #38
ahhell
Philosopher

One more for the Not my cup of tea but she's undeniably talented camp. And you have almost certainly heard one of her songs. Also, this is the most press Time has gotten in decades.
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 02:49 PM   #39
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Also, this is the most press Time has gotten in decades.
Yep. It's like earlier this year when Sports Illustrated put transgender singer Kim Petras on one of the alternative covers and people were like "Will this confuse the children" and I'm like "I mean nobody under the age of 20 even knows what 'Sports Illustrated' or 'a magazine' is at this point."
Old 6th December 2023, 02:53 PM   #40
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Quote:
Time Magazine: We’d like to name you Person of the Yea-

Me: Can I bring my cat.
https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/st...06430857093501

- Seth Meyers

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events