IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Taylor Swift , time magazine

Old 6th December 2023, 03:15 PM   #41
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Not a lot. It's just Time magazine's recognition of the person they deem most influential in that year. They don't have to be a good person, just influential. In 1938, the Person of the Year was Adolf Hitler.

So it's more or less completely irrelevant. Time is a large and influential periodical - or at least it has been for most of its history - so in terms of celebrity status it's pretty influential. But it doesn't really mean anything other than that.
The best pick was the year they chose the Inanimate Carbon Rod.
Old 6th December 2023, 03:31 PM   #42
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
God I can't wait to here about how many people don't care about this.
You will soon start to hear the sound of MAGA morons' heads exploding!

That's my favourite thing about her... she triggers really the MAGA chuds!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th December 2023 at 03:45 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 03:32 PM   #43
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

Has she managed to knock Nana Mouskouri off the top of the hit parade? Nana is the most!
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 05:09 PM   #44
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
She's helped me out in several quizzes, her and her mate Ed. Any musical questions about a female my suggestion is always Swift, any about a male and my answer is Ed. For some reason my team mates don't turn to me for answers to music questions.
For us its always Beyonce or Drake if we have no frickin clue on the music questions.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 05:16 PM   #45
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
So I listened to lobosrul5's link, and I listened to Blank Space, and it's clear to me she's got that spark. But I'm wondering -- and this is admittedly OT -- but it sounds to me like pop music hasn't evolved much in the last 10 or 20 years. I'm not saying it's bad, I just feel that if either of those songs came out in 2013 or whatever, they'd fit in more or less with what was on the radio then.

But I've never listened that much to pop, so maybe it's a false impression.
Old 6th December 2023, 05:19 PM   #46
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ryan O'Dine View Post
So I listened to lobosrul5's link, and I listened to Blank Space, and it's clear to me she's got that spark. But I'm wondering -- and this is admittedly OT -- but it sounds to me like pop music hasn't evolved much in the last 10 or 20 years. I'm not saying it's bad, I just feel that if either of those songs came out in 2013 or whatever, they'd fit in more or less with what was on the radio then.

Blank Space, and Shake it Off came out in 2014. (btw my sister in law is mid 30's and a huge fan, that is my main source of hearing T-Swift, I don't think most of her fans are tweens these days).

Last edited by lobosrul5; 6th December 2023 at 05:20 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 05:19 PM   #47
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

That is a cool cat picture.

Old 6th December 2023, 05:21 PM   #48
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Blank Space, and Shake it Off came out in 2014. (btw my sister in law is mid 30's and a huge fan, that is my main source of hearing T-Swift, I don't think most of her fans are tweens these days).
Huh, didn't realize she's been around that long.
Old 6th December 2023, 05:25 PM   #49
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm an old. Is Taylor Swift the Madonna of these days?
No. Madge was never an anything and was clearly the second-best-looking sheila in Desperately Seeking Susan. Madge made her name by being sluttish, while Taylor made her image the exact opposite.

Magde's political and social cred is zero, Taylor's is better than almost anyone else you could name.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Who?

Seriously, I somehow managed to escape the pull of this Black Hole - I'm sure I heard plenty of her songs without knowing who the singer is - and when someone tells me, I forget almost instantly.
Her music isn't the point. If musical ability mattered Kate Bush would have won it every year since 1977. Note: I have exactly zero of her songs on my playlist. It's mostly a bit mild for my taste, but songs like You Need To Calm Down are lyrically brilliant.

The point is that she's used her popularity for good and has done lots of philapthropic work she takes no credit for, so you know she's not doing it because it's good for her image.

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
What the **** are you talking about? She has a massive, massive following on every social media platform she decides to be on. She started dating an NFL player and THEIR ******* SALES WENT UP. She's stood up to recording studios, including re-recording her entire catalog to get out from under their thumb, and she's philanthropic as well.

All around she's an amazing person and everyone that hops in and is like, "Who? Don't know, don't care about some pop person" is doing the same thing you're doing. Dismissing her because of one facet of her life, which admittedly made her wealthy. The fact you saying "lets hold off on the celebration" is WAY too late. The choice has been made and no one involved in it gave a flying ******* what Samson has to say about Taylor's views. Nothing to debate.
Bravo!

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You will soon start to hear the sound of MAGA morons' heads exploding!

That's my favourite thing about her... she triggers really the MAGA chuds!
They set fire to her CDs!

They loved her virginal country girl image, then she showed them up for the sick bigots they are. To me, what she did in becoming a political force is almost akin to Muhammad Ali's becoming a muslim - they both alienated vast swathes of America and didn't give a flying ****.
Old 6th December 2023, 05:27 PM   #50
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I've never heard a Taylor Swift song.
I like her version of Last Christmas
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 05:40 PM   #51
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
No. Madge was never an anything and was clearly the second-best-looking sheila in Desperately Seeking Susan. Madge made her name by being sluttish, while Taylor made her image the exact opposite.

Magde's political and social cred is zero, Taylor's is better than almost anyone else you could name.
Weirdly enough, when speaking of musicians I meant their music.
Old 6th December 2023, 05:41 PM   #52
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Has she managed to knock Nana Mouskouri off the top of the hit parade? Nana is the most!
And living proof that glasses do not make a woman "not sexy".

Old 6th December 2023, 05:42 PM   #53
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Sorry, I didn't see the doco myself, so can't reference it, but have recently been told that the problem of 'sameness' in modern pop music, is that there are a very limited set of writers, writing the songs.

Back in my day, there was a limited sound because of the small number of producers creating the 'sound' of various artists.
Old 6th December 2023, 05:50 PM   #54
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Yes you have.
I certainly haven't.

I listen to CDs and a mass of YT playlists. None of them have her music. No random TV or radio stuff, not even adverts as I only watch BBC iPlayer and (*very* rarely) Amazon stuff.
Old 6th December 2023, 07:00 PM   #55
pzkpfw
Critical Thinker

I've seen more than one news item in the last few months about Taylor Swift concerts giving a boost to local economies.

That makes her more influential than many of the politicians.
pzkpfw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 07:12 PM   #56
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I certainly haven't.

I listen to CDs and a mass of YT playlists. None of them have her music. No random TV or radio stuff, not even adverts as I only watch BBC iPlayer and (*very* rarely) Amazon stuff.
You must be very careful. I can't navigate my way around in public without encountering random environmental music. Never been into a shopping centre? Did you buy your CDs from a completely silent music store? Never passed by someone on the street with a boom box?

You most certainly have. You may have tuned it out, but you have.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 07:37 PM   #57
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
"Swift became the first living artist to have five albums in the US Top 10 simultaneously, with 1989, Midnights, Folklore, Lover and Speak Now."

"She broke the record for the most number one albums by a woman in US chart history - 13 in total - overtaking Barbara Streisand."

"Swift became the first songwriter to score seven Grammy nominations for song of the year, overtaking Sir Paul McCartney and Lionel Richie."

Beating literally everyone in music for popularity! I'd be embarrassed not to know who she is.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 07:45 PM   #58
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Huh, didn't realize she's been around that long.
She had a long and successful country career before she ever crossed over into pop with 3 multi-platinum country albums the late 00s.
Old 6th December 2023, 10:02 PM   #59
pzkpfw
Critical Thinker

It's hit 6 pm in N.Z. and I just heard the T.V. news start with a sting saying "she's the first entertaining to be given that honour".

Missing what person of the year is all about, as usual.
pzkpfw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2023, 11:15 PM   #60
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

She had a long and successful country career before she ever crossed over into pop with 3 multi-platinum country albums the late 00s.
A singer and a farmer, she's a talented girl.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2023, 12:05 AM   #61
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
I've seen more than one news item in the last few months about Taylor Swift concerts giving a boost to local economies.

That makes her more influential than many of the politicians.
It's hit 6 pm in N.Z. and I just heard the T.V. news start with a sting saying "she's the first entertaining to be given that honour".

In the case of Time Magazine, I'm guessing relevance/profits was the main motive,

She did get a bunch of young people to register to vote. If she uses her popularity for things like that then she could actually be a person of the year. She has a long way to go.

I don't care that much for the current bubble gum stuff but I did like the music she started out with which is also probably as much bubble-gummy now that I listen to it again.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

My son did not like my music choices back then.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 7th December 2023 at 12:07 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2023, 12:19 AM   #62
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
She made millions of people happy, while literally doing nothing wrong. It's hard to imagine a better candidate for the title.
She has indeed done nothing wrong. That makes her the last person who should get the title.
Old 7th December 2023, 12:48 AM   #63
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
I'm outraged that Katy Perry has never been Time's person of the year. I mean, her cat was named Kitty Purry. She deserves recognition for that alone.

Meanwhile, Taylor Swift's cats are Meredith Grey, Olivia Benson and Benjamin Button. I'm sure she's a nice person and all, but that's nothing.
My cat's name is Dr Ian Malcolm and she's awesome. Don't be nameist.
TofuFighter is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2023, 12:57 AM   #64
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Does your cat only wear black and grey so that it never has to waste a second thinking about what to wear?
Old 7th December 2023, 01:12 AM   #65
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Does your cat only wear black and grey so that it never has to waste a second thinking about what to wear?
She is all grey and doesn't think it necessary to explain her choices.
TofuFighter is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2023, 02:00 AM   #66
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Weirdly enough, when speaking of musicians I meant their music.
Even weirder, the thread is about Person of the Year, which has zero to do with her music and everything to do with her influence.
Old 7th December 2023, 04:13 AM   #67
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

You must be very careful. I can't navigate my way around in public without encountering random environmental music. Never been into a shopping centre? Did you buy your CDs from a completely silent music store? Never passed by someone on the street with a boom box?

You most certainly have. You may have tuned it out, but you have.
I don't go to shopping centres, haven't bought a CD in over 15 years, don't encounter boom boxes out here in the sticks, have avoided commercial TV channels for years so don't get musical adverts, only play CDs in the car.

Perhaps you're being a little dogmatic?

Last edited by GlennB; 7th December 2023 at 04:18 AM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2023, 06:51 AM   #68
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I’m a straight white male in his 70’s, married to an only slightly younger woman. We both really like Taylor Swift. And both applaud Time’s choice.

I has just moved from the hustle bustle of S FL to N GA after a divorce in 2005. We became aware of Taylor soon after meeting, when she had one album out and was about 17, I think.

Several of those songs touched us both - “Tim McCraw”, “Tears on My Guitar”, and “Our Song”. Touching, catchy tunes of young love found and often lost.

Subsequent albums gradually moved towards pop, and began to lose us a bit, reminding us of the plot line of the recent remake of “A Star is Born”. Yet the times were changing and it was clearly in tune with her evolving fans.

We saw her “Eras Tour” movie and it was incredible from a stagecraft, technical and talent perspective. We both would have preferred more of the earlier, acoustic stuff, but again, we’re not her target audience. And we both want to revisit it with subtitles - it was frustratingly hard to follow the lyrics to songs we didn’t already know.

If anyone has any doubt as to her songwriting ability, check out “All Too Well”. A high point in the concert film for us. Here it is with lyrics:

https://youtu.be/9OQBDdNHmXo?si=N6irj3VqrMNP_tvj

Another of our favorites, from the 2012 Grammys:

https://youtu.be/W_4TxTjRvVA?feature=shared

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 7th December 2023 at 06:59 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2023, 07:26 AM   #69
ahhell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I've never heard a Taylor Swift song.
Yep. It's like earlier this year when Sports Illustrated put transgender singer Kim Petras on one of the alternative covers and people were like "Will this confuse the children" and I'm like "I mean nobody under the age of 20 even knows what 'Sports Illustrated' or 'a magazine' is at this point."
I listen to a podcast where anytime they mention a magazine or newspaper say, "See, kids, a magazine is like a website printed on paper.

Last edited by ahhell; 7th December 2023 at 09:01 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2023, 08:01 AM   #70
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Time's stated outline of what Person of the Year is all about hasn't been taken seriously since they named Rudy Gulianni instead of Osama Bin Laden in 2001. Naming Taylor Swift this year shows even they aren't taking it seriously.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2023, 08:05 AM   #71
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
NFL players have sales? I just don't understand this celebrity culture.
Yeah, I'm shocked that I have to inform you that players wear jerseys. Those jerseys get sold, the player gets a cut. Happy to help. Follow me for more sports financial tips.

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
I think he meant team apparel sales for the KC Chiefs went up.
No, but I wasn't specific so that's my bad. Travis Kelce's sales went up by 400%. The viewership of the game went up massively as well. Tons of articles about it.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2023, 08:05 AM   #72
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
She has indeed done nothing wrong. That makes her the last person who should get the title.
I dunno. It's kind of a pleasant change of pace, to have a person who is both wildly significant and also pretty nice get the title.
Old 7th December 2023, 08:40 AM   #73
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

I'm an old. Is Taylor Swift the Madonna of these days?
No, she's a musician.
Old 7th December 2023, 09:19 AM   #74
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

No thread containing a link to "Shake it Off" is complete without a reference to Dwayne Johnson "performing" it on Lip Sync Battle. It was the first act of the first episode, and has never been topped IMO. (The show is fantastic, look it up).

I AGREE

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2023, 09:30 AM   #75
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Her particular station in life limits the bad she can do, so it is an uneven playing field for other candidates.
*Kanye West shoots double finger guns*

Not a fan of her genre of music at all, but damned if she is not the most giving person I've heard about in years. I was reading somewhere that she is one of the richest entertainers, yet also makes it rain with more philanthropic cash both in volume and proportion than anyone else comparable.
Old 7th December 2023, 09:41 AM   #76
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I wouldn’t dare impugn your cat’s good name.

Last edited by mumblethrax; 7th December 2023 at 09:43 AM.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2023, 10:04 AM   #77
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
That is a cool cat picture.

It's a seal bicolor Ragdoll! We've got one as well!
Old 7th December 2023, 10:26 AM   #78
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Time's stated outline of what Person of the Year is all about hasn't been taken seriously since they named Rudy Gulianni instead of Osama Bin Laden in 2001. Naming Taylor Swift this year shows even they aren't taking it seriously.
Who should it have been, if not her?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2023, 10:29 AM   #79
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Not a fan of her genre of music at all, but damned if she is not the most giving person I've heard about in years. I was reading somewhere that she is one of the richest entertainers, yet also makes it rain with more philanthropic cash both in volume and proportion than anyone else comparable.
Sounds like she may really be like Dolly Parton, then. I'm probably not going to seek out her music, but I'm not going to hate her just because I get tired of seeing her name in media too often.

Unless I see her in commercials. That's a quick path to my undying enmity.
Old 7th December 2023, 10:33 AM   #80
Doubt
Philosopher

Not a fan of her music, like many here. But also have no issues with this.

One funny thing was that until a few years ago, she managed to keep her perspective on many social issues to herself. And then some racist morons started referring to her as their Aryan Goddess. That seems to have coaxed her out of her offical neutrality just enough to signal she does not support those racist fools.

A lot of people would like it if celebrities kept their opinions to themselves. Unfortunately, if they actually do that, some of the fans will make up a narrative for them.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events