IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Taylor Swift , time magazine

Old 11th December 2023, 07:16 AM   #201
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
In discussing Taylor Swift as Times' choice on his podcast, Charlie Sykes said he would have chosen Jack Smith. He made a good argument for the choice, being the first to go after an ex-POTUS for his crimes. I had to agree with Smith as the choice.
I think the idea here is to wait until next year when Trump has been convicted. That's the time to make it Jack Smith
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2023, 12:34 PM   #202
pzkpfw
Critical Thinker

She's also ...

Quote:
Vinyl record sales rose to their highest level in more than 30 years in 2023 after Taylor Swift’s new rerecorded album propelled purchases to their fastest growth in a decade.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...recorded-album
pzkpfw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2024, 05:27 AM   #203
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"Taylor Swift is a better person than Hitler" is the implication. Yes, I think that's about right. Well done!
I didn't think it was worth contributing anything to this topic, but if I did, this is what I would have said.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2024, 10:41 PM   #204
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I didn't think it was worth contributing anything to this topic, but if I did, this is what I would have said.
To the pair of you: pathetic.

Suggesting that's her only attribute worth mentioning is just an attempt to damn with faint praise and what I'd expect to see from a pimply, jealous, teenager rather than allegedly critically-thinking adults.

It's been explained in detail what value she's added to society and her generation, and to deny that makes you looks stupid.
Old 2nd January 2024, 11:02 PM   #205
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Suggesting that's her only attribute worth mentioning is just an attempt to damn with faint praise and what I'd expect to see from a pimply, jealous, teenager rather than allegedly critically-thinking adults.

It's been explained in detail what value she's added to society and her generation, and to deny that makes you looks stupid.
While I have supported this award, is her contribution to the world any greater than, for example, Jennifer Lawrence?

It is a bit problematic giving awards like this to celebrities.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2024, 02:13 AM   #206
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
While I have supported this award, is her contribution to the world any greater than, for example, Jennifer Lawrence?
Comfortably.

She's been far more active politically and has empowered an entire generation of young women. The only young women with anything like the significance of Taylor Swift are Greta Thunberg and Malala, and they've already been POTY.
Old 3rd January 2024, 02:17 AM   #207
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Comfortably.

She's been far more active politically and has empowered an entire generation of young women. The only young women with anything like the significance of Taylor Swift are Greta Thunberg and Malala, and they've already been POTY.
You are a lovable leftie, I had a go at her Spotify feed, and I get that she is a bit talented, but Joni Mitchell and Lana Del Rey are next level.
Old 3rd January 2024, 02:21 AM   #208
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Comfortably.

I don’t agree.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2024, 02:23 AM   #209
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
You are a lovable leftie, I had a go at her Spotify feed, and I get that she is a bit talented, but Joni Mitchell and Lana Del Rey are next level.
Her musical ability had nothing to do with the award. I'm not a fan of her music, but the woman herself is all class.
Old 3rd January 2024, 02:32 AM   #210
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Her musical ability had nothing to do with the award. I'm not a fan of her music, but the woman herself is all class.
Oh hell, you are a real scholar of celebrity, I get your point, but I expect you to decipher her music too.
Old 3rd January 2024, 06:44 AM   #211
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I invite anyone unfamiliar with her work to watch this live performance on Saturday Night Live.

https://youtu.be/nJr_8l0AEWE?si=D9R7u-9v7ckWFwPk

Her ability to paint pictures and tell stories with her lyrics while at the same time interweaving them with catchy melodies is really something to behold. In spite of my age, they take me back to a time of young love found and lost, and how fragile those feelings are.

Note: you can turn on closed captioning if you find any of the lyrics hard to make out. I’m a bit hard of hearing and that helps me.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 3rd January 2024 at 06:50 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2024, 06:49 AM   #212
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

And tell me she’s not adorable here at the 2012 Grammys:

https://youtu.be/W_4TxTjRvVA?feature=shared
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2024, 07:29 AM   #213
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Perhaps you should read my post in context in order to actually get the joke.
Old 3rd January 2024, 11:17 AM   #214
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Hirohito, Emperor of Japan, died in 1989, and later that year, Taylor Swift was born.

We will never get stronger evidence for Reincarnation than this.
Old 3rd January 2024, 05:49 PM   #215
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I invite anyone unfamiliar with her work to watch this live performance on Saturday Night Live.

https://youtu.be/nJr_8l0AEWE?si=D9R7u-9v7ckWFwPk

Her ability to paint pictures and tell stories with her lyrics while at the same time interweaving them with catchy melodies is really something to behold. In spite of my age, they take me back to a time of young love found and lost, and how fragile those feelings are.

Note: you can turn on closed captioning if you find any of the lyrics hard to make out. I’m a bit hard of hearing and that helps me.
She's really throwing back to her country roots there, isn't she?

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2024, 06:21 PM   #216
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm listening right now to 1989 (Taylor's Version) and it's really quite good.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2024, 04:41 AM   #217
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I don't hold any ill will towards her. Fame destroys many people but she appears to coping so far.

If anything it's a comment on the award itself. I think Time is doing this for their own publicity purposes. Not that you can really blame them, in this time of the Internet all of the old print companies are fighting to survive.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2024, 08:29 AM   #218
dann
Penultimate Amazing

11 years ago, women were allowed to serve in combat, and now this:
Quote:
A bizarre conspiracy theory about Taylor Swift aired on Fox News' "Jesse Watters Primetime" on Tuesday, with host Watters suggesting that Swift is a Pentagon psy-op asset who is using her fan base to drum up support for President Joe Biden.
Fox News airs absurd conspiracy theory that Taylor Swift is a Pentagon asset (MSNBC, Jan 11, 2024)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2024, 11:33 AM   #219
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Now here's a shock: https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/25/t...ges/index.html
Old 27th January 2024, 11:46 AM   #220
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Shocking indeed! So, where are these images at exactly so I can be sure to never accidentally see them?
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2024, 12:06 PM   #221
PitPat
Philosopher

Serious question. Why does everybody think she's so hot? She's a little taller than most, has a great voice (still couldn't recognize a song if a gun was pointed at my head, which happened one time but I peed myself and they ran away after seeing surveillance cameras). Good stage presence.

It's almost getting to the point of celebrity for celebrity's sake.
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2024, 01:02 PM   #222
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by PitPat View Post
Serious question. Why does everybody think she's so hot?
I think she's pretty, but not in a bland, generic way. Slightly equine features. Which is nice, her face has character that is frequently lacking in the current cultural conventions of ideal female beauty.
Old 27th January 2024, 01:14 PM   #223
PitPat
Philosopher

I think she's pretty, but not in a bland, generic way. Slightly equine features. Which is nice, her face has character that is frequently lacking in the current cultural conventions of ideal female beauty.
Not making a great case. I prefer excessive equine features. For faces. And dating celebrities. And seeing her in a financial ad. Because I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift know how to handle her money.

And yes I know her fans will all go to Capital One.

Last edited by PitPat; 27th January 2024 at 01:16 PM.
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2024, 03:32 PM   #224
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I think she's OK. Not what I would call a great beauty. But definitely attractive. In other words, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers. I'm not a big fan of her music. But it is definitely better than a lot of music that has come out in the last 30 years. I'll take Joni Mitchell, Linda Rondstadt, Pat Benatar, Carole King, the Wilson sisters over her every day and twice on Sunday.

But what I do love about this woman is her strength of character.
Old 27th January 2024, 03:38 PM   #225
PitPat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I think she's OK. Not what I would call a great beauty. But definitely attractive. In other words, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers. I'm not a big fan of her music. But it is definitely better than a lot of music that has come out in the last 30 years. I'll take Joni Mitchell, Linda Rondstadt, Pat Benatar, Carole King, the Wilson sisters over her every day and twice on Sunday.

Did I miss the Taylor Swift role playing game. Kind of seems one should be out by now.

There have been strong women around for ages, still not seeing what makes her so special.
Old 27th January 2024, 03:47 PM   #226
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Serious question. Why does everybody think she's so hot? She's a little taller than most, has a great voice (still couldn't recognize a song if a gun was pointed at my head, which happened one time but I peed myself and they ran away after seeing surveillance cameras). Good stage presence.

It's almost getting to the point of celebrity for celebrity's sake.
For ****'s sake there's more to celebrity than being hot.

- Seth Meyers
Old 27th January 2024, 03:58 PM   #227
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

You have excellent taste (I'll take Pat Benatar on trust, don't know her music)
Old 27th January 2024, 04:04 PM   #228
PitPat
Philosopher

I'm not hating on Taylor Swift. She deserves the success that she's earned. Just not getting the mass appeal.

And not because I'm old rocker and don't understand kids nowadays. She's kind of like Madonna in the 80s.

She has foundations set up for charities. Be dumb not to. And not knocking her for that, a lot of money is probably coming in and helps a lot of people.
Old 27th January 2024, 04:07 PM   #229
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Her music may not to be to your taste, but it is genuinely good. 1989 (Taylor's Version) is absolutely my favourite right now.

- Seth Meyers
Old 27th January 2024, 04:38 PM   #230
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Shocking indeed! So, where are these images at exactly so I can be sure to never accidentally see them?
Sadly, if you look, you'll find.

I will note that fakes aren't new, just the latest variety are more realistic and not just a photoshopped face onto a porn body.

Serious question. Why does everybody think she's so hot?
Because she's genuinely attractive. She's not a skinny stick like a lot of women, and seems to be relatively natural.

And not because I'm old rocker and don't understand kids nowadays. She's kind of like Madonna in the 80s.
Wash your mouth out!

Madge was a slapper of little talent. Taylor is awesome and hasn't ever needed to use sex to sell.
Old 27th January 2024, 05:01 PM   #231
PitPat
Philosopher

Yeah but she looks like pretty much every porn star on front of every VHS adult film I've ever seen. And trust me, there's been a lot.

https://www.glamour.com/story/5-sexy...oks-that-helpe
Old 28th January 2024, 02:11 AM   #232
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yeah but she looks like pretty much every porn star on front of every VHS adult film I've ever seen. And trust me, there's been a lot.
Nope.

The covers are Photoshopped to within an inch of unreality, and fake boobs abound. Taylor is natural and bloody gorgeous. Very nice pics of her, ty.
Old 28th January 2024, 02:53 AM   #233
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

...and don't forget, she was also once "the new Eddie Van Halen" (RIP)!

Of course, the writer of that article was talking about how she inspired teenage girls to pick up the guitar like Eddie had done with teenage boys. On the bright side, though, unlike with the teenage boys, the teenage girls would have actually been able to achieve the playing ability of their idol!

...lol
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2024, 11:35 AM   #234
Ivor the Engineer
Philosopher

Taylor Swift's CO2 emissions are certainly on the high side, given she owns two (yes, two) private jets and frequently uses them to fly back from concerts.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...5.cms?from=mdr

Quote:
Taylor Swift has once again topped the list of ‘biggest celebrity CO2 polluter’ for the year 2023. The 34-year-old global music sensation's frequent travels, primarily to spend time with her boyfriend, Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce, have resulted in an astonishing 138 tons of CO2 emissions over the past three months alone.
Her achievements have to be tempered by the fact she was born into wealth.

What's odd is she so often whines in her songs about what she's lost by becoming so wealthy. For a long time now she's had more than enough money to retire and fade into obscurity, yet she's feels the need to carry on with world tours. Perhaps she'll eventually follow the path she sings about in "The Lucky One" and choose to have a life rather than fame.
Ivor the Engineer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2024, 11:56 AM   #235
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
You're missing out. A serious rocker from the 70s and early 80s with an absolutely spectacular voice.
Old 28th January 2024, 12:32 PM   #236
ahhell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Meh, derivative, rock rather than pop but nothing special. Honestly, Swift is probably more talented, not my taste but a decent songwriter regardless. Where as, Benatar is more my taste but, meh.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2024, 01:19 PM   #237
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Meh, derivative, rock rather than pop but nothing special. Honestly, Swift is probably more talented, not my taste but a decent songwriter regardless. Where as, Benatar is more my taste but, meh.
Honestly, I have no idea what you are saying. Are you saying that Pat Benatar is derivative or Taylor Swift?

I think Swift is a better songwriter than Pat Benatar, but Benatar was a kick ass rocker with a voice that was far superior. Joni Mitchell IMV, is the best female singer songwriter of all time.

But this all comes down to personal tastes. We like what we like. Taylor is pretty good. I wish there was a lot more talent out there like her hitting the airwaves. I feel like I was extremely lucky that my teenage years and early twenties coincided with the best era for music.
Old 28th January 2024, 02:06 PM   #238
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Ivor the Engineer View Post
Taylor Swift's CO2 emissions are certainly on the high side, given she owns two (yes, two) private jets and frequently uses them to fly back from concerts.
Interesting you had to go all the way to India to find a negative piece.

They created as much CO2 as a whopping 17 houses! My god, that's bordering on criminal.

Yet, from your article:

Quote:
In response to accusations, a spokesperson for Swift stated that the star had purchased more than double the necessary carbon credits to offset all tour travel before the Eras Tour kicked off in March 2023. The excess credits were expected to cover the additional flights undertaken to support Kelce's games and her planned tour travels.
That's what IPCC does, so if it's good enough for them I imagine it's good enough for a celebrity.

Her achievements have to be tempered by the fact she was born into wealth.
I'm guessing you got that from the article where it states:

Quote:
Are Taylor Swift's parents rich?
Taylor Swift's dad Scott Swift comes from generations of Bank Presidents.
Bank presidents! Like the Rothschilds? Probably illuminati.

The reality is so much more mundane - her dad was a sharebroker and her granny was an opera singer. So rich she didn't even attend private schools.
Old 28th January 2024, 02:20 PM   #239
Ivor the Engineer
Philosopher

Interesting you had to go all the way to India to find a negative piece.
I should have asked to rent Swift's jet to fly over there, print off a copy and fly it back.

Quote:
They created as much CO2 as a whopping 17 houses! My god, that's bordering on criminal.

Yet, from your article:

That's what IPCC does, so if it's good enough for them I imagine it's good enough for a celebrity.
Carbon offsetting is a fig leaf for the excesses of the wealthy.

Quote:
I'm guessing you got that from the article where it states:

Bank presidents! Like the Rothschilds? Probably illuminati.

The reality is so much more mundane - her dad was a sharebroker and her granny was an opera singer. So rich she didn't even attend private schools.
I've read about her from other sources too. As I said before, she comes from wealth and that was a great help to her music career.
Ivor the Engineer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2024, 02:35 PM   #240
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I should have asked to rent Swift's jet to fly over there, print off a copy and fly it back.

Carbon offsetting is a fig leaf for the excesses of the wealthy.

I've read about her from other sources too. As I said before, she comes from wealth and that was a great help to her music career.
Is it?

I do agree that the wealthy are the biggest personal polluters on earth. I would rather we make the ownership of private jets and 100 meter yachts illegal. Is that acceptable to you?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events