IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd November 2023, 10:40 AM   #881
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Unfortunately the government is not playing along with Vixen's conspiracy theory: Rishi Sunak’s net zero delay ‘will slash demand for electric cars’
It's just damage control after their Luton cover-up was exposed by the tireless detective work of the garage and dealership employees of the Daily Mail readership.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2023, 04:50 PM   #882
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
It's just damage control after their Luton cover-up was exposed by the tireless detective work of the garage and dealership employees of the Daily Mail readership.
Why bother? They already had the perfect cover up, get an armchair detective who's already squandered any default credibility or goodwill they had to advocate for the conspiracy.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 23rd November 2023 at 04:51 PM.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2023, 09:52 AM   #883
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Another fire in a car park. Maybe we should ban car parks?

Quote:
A huge blaze ripped through Bristol Airport's car park, destroying 11 vehicles. Crews from Avon Fire and Rescue Service and Bristol Airport worked together to tackle the flames this morning (December 10) in the Silver Zone car park.
Avon Fire and Rescue has said that there were no injuries and the fire is not being treated as suspicious as it appears to have been caused by "accidental ignition". A spokesperson for the service praised Bristol Airport's crew for their "good assistance" in dealing with the fire.
No word yet from Avon Fire and Rescue as to the type of car which started it. The cover-up has started, sheeple!
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2023, 11:30 AM   #884
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post

No word yet from Avon Fire and Rescue as to the type of car which started it. The cover-up has started, sheeple!
No doubt a conversion from diesel to EV. Was any concrete melted?
Old 10th December 2023, 11:33 AM   #885
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No doubt a conversion from diesel to EV. Was any concrete melted?

Do keep up! It was a car park, not a laboratory.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2023, 03:39 PM   #886
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Were any Russian vehicles involved?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2023, 03:48 PM   #887
Manger Douse
Graduate Poster

Wrath of the gods (all of them) after seeing the state of that "multi faith area"
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2023, 02:50 AM   #888
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
Wrath of the gods (all of them) after seeing the state of that "multi faith area"
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6402ed7b0e.jpg
They don't discriminate against smokers....
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2023, 05:20 AM   #889
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The idea that 'we mustn't consider redesigning car parks as it might affect certain car sales' is a ridiculous one.

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2023, 05:34 AM   #890
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The idea that 'we mustn't consider redesigning car parks as it might affect certain car sales' is a ridiculous one.
Before we decide it's someone's ridicuous idea, perhaps can we first establish whether it is in fact someone's idea.

Were you quoting someone?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2023, 05:38 AM   #891
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The reason the classic Monty Python sketch of the dead parrot is so perennial and enduring is because it strikes a philosophical truth that resonates. Especially vis-a-vis the fore-lock tugging Brits who prefer to believe what their ruling class masters tell them whatever their own personal cost and conditions and regardless of what their own eyes tell them. This grovelling attitude is apposite here, as reflected in Part 2 of the recently cited Jasper Jolly article in the GUARDIAN. In response to a query regarding his following statement on X as to how he knows it was 'an ICE-parked car that caused the Luton Airport Fire:

Quote:
Jasper Jolly
@jjpjolly
·
Nov 20
The Luton airport fire was started by a parked ICE car. There is always a fire risk
https://x.com/jjpjolly/status/1726542885057953809?s=20

The alliterate one replies:

Quote:
Jasper Jolly
@jjpjolly
·
Nov 20
Statement from Beds fire service: "At this time, we can confirm the vehicle involved was a diesel-powered vehicle. To further clarify it was neither a fully electric vehicle (EV) nor a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV)."

"Jasper Jolly
@jjpjolly
I was sent the statement directly by the fire service."

Read this again carefully:

"To further clarify it was neither a fully electric vehicle (EV) nor a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. (PHEV)"

In other words, Beds Fire and Rescue does NOT rule out a mild hybrid diesel. Yet Full Fact and Jasper Jolly read the statement as otherwise. How peculiar. Such a British trait.

My advice is to face facts full on and not try to look for a 'Way Out'. A fact is neither good nor bad. Forget political spin and evasion. Just look at it face on.

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2023, 05:43 AM   #892
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Before we decide it's someone's ridicuous idea, perhaps can we first establish whether it is in fact someone's idea.

Were you quoting someone?
Yes, zooterkin, thinking he was being really edgy and with-it, posed the question: Maybe we should ban car parks?

As if we should keep the design of a proven badly designed car park at all costs rather than acknowledge the risk of lithium battery fire. All to protect the sales of JLR and the Tata factory.

~ Danzig

Old 11th December 2023, 06:03 AM   #893
MarkCorrigan
Penultimate Amazing

Oh welcome back Vixen. Got any evidence of diesel to hybrid conversions yet?
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2023, 06:19 AM   #894
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Yes, zooterkin, thinking he was being really edgy and with-it, posed the question: Maybe we should ban car parks?

As if we should keep the design of a proven badly designed car park at all costs rather than acknowledge the risk of lithium battery fire. All to protect the sales of JLR and the Tata factory.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2023, 06:31 AM   #895
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Ah. Okay. So the answer is no, it isn't anybody's idea that we mustn't consider redesigning car parks as it might affect certain car sales. I shall waste no more time on the matter.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2023, 07:02 AM   #896
Disbelief
Illuminator

The reason the classic Monty Python sketch of the dead parrot is so perennial and enduring is because it strikes a philosophical truth that resonates. Especially vis-a-vis the fore-lock tugging Brits who prefer to believe what their ruling class masters tell them whatever their own personal cost and conditions and regardless of what their own eyes tell them. This grovelling attitude is apposite here, as reflected in Part 2 of the recently cited Jasper Jolly article in the GUARDIAN. In response to a query regarding his following statement on X as to how he knows it was 'an ICE-parked car that caused the Luton Airport Fire:

https://x.com/jjpjolly/status/1726542885057953809?s=20

The alliterate one replies:

"To further clarify it was neither a fully electric vehicle (EV) nor a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. (PHEV)"

In other words, Beds Fire and Rescue does NOT rule out a mild hybrid diesel. Yet Full Fact and Jasper Jolly read the statement as otherwise. How peculiar. Such a British trait.

My advice is to face facts full on and not try to look for a 'Way Out'. A fact is neither good nor bad. Forget political spin and evasion. Just look at it face on.
So what year is the vehicle in question and what year did Land Rover start selling MHEVs in UK?

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2023, 07:03 AM   #897
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Idem senex ineptias
Old 11th December 2023, 07:11 AM   #898
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
So what year is the vehicle in question and what year did Land Rover start selling MHEVs in UK?
From wikipedia:

Quote:
When did Range Rover become hybrid?
Range Rover - Wikipedia
Hybrid. The Range Rover Hybrid is diesel-powered hybrid electric model unveiled at the 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show. The ordering process began in September 2013, and retail deliveries in Europe were slated to start in early 2014.

~ Danzig

Old 11th December 2023, 07:14 AM   #899
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The word of the day is "Ultracrepidarian"
Old 11th December 2023, 07:15 AM   #900
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

So the Bristol Airport Car Park Fire was caused by 'accidental ignition'.

You couldn't make it up. Why does the British public tolerate this level of crap?

''Ello,'ello, 'ello, <fx knees bend> What's goin' on 'ere, then?"

"Well, you see, Officer, I just popped into Waitrose to do my weekly shop and - **** me! - I came out to discover my car managed to accidentally ignite itself!"

"Ah, that'll be a derv, then. Evenin' all. Mind 'ow you go."

~ Danzig

Old 11th December 2023, 07:23 AM   #901
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

You couldn't make it up. Why does the British public tolerate this level of crap?

"Well, you see, Officer, I just popped into Waitrose to do my weekly shop and - **** me! - I came out to discover my car managed to accidentally ignite itself!"

Zooterkin nailed it:

Old 11th December 2023, 07:39 AM   #902
Disbelief
Illuminator

From wikipedia:
That's a press release from ahead of time. How about some sales figures showing that they actually marketed and sold them. Then, now hear me out, prove that the vehicle in question was a MHEV as opposed to your speculation.

Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2023, 07:41 AM   #903
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Aside from the fact that no one has proposed any such idea, what design changes should be made, in your expert opinion as a reader of the Daily Mail comments section.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2023, 08:08 AM   #904
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Now who's attempting to be all edgy? If you change the word 'car' to 'Cheerios and milk' in the above you could achieve the level of justifiable incredulity you're seeking. But trying to characterize accidental car fires as something too unlikely to take seriously is a pathetic argument.
Old 11th December 2023, 08:28 AM   #905
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

You couldn't make it up.
Which bit exactly could you not make up?
Old 11th December 2023, 08:40 AM   #906
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Well it's not like automobiles are complex mechanisms with high amperage electrical systems and large quantities of flammable petroleum distillates and plastics. Clearly, only Li-ion batteries accidentally combust, which is why accidental car fires were completely unknown until recent years.
Old 11th December 2023, 08:52 AM   #907
GlennB

The only explanation would be that Vixen thinks it was arson. But this would tend to suggest that she thinks all car fires are arson, or that she has inside information about the Bristol fire.

No point looking for logic or reason in her posts.
Old 11th December 2023, 08:58 AM   #908
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

That's a press release from ahead of time. How about some sales figures showing that they actually marketed and sold them. Then, now hear me out, prove that the vehicle in question was a MHEV as opposed to your speculation.
They were on sale at some point in 2014.

I just searched a couple of UK car sales sites and found a few diesel hybrid Range Rovers for sale, all on '64' number plates (which ran from Sept 2014 to March 2015). Two listings had their registration dates, which were in November and December '14.

So it's likely that the model did in fact exist, but that only brings us back around to what Vixen's conspiracy theory actually is: the fire service deliberately deceived the public about the type of car involved and, when pressed by journalists, they are now doubling down on their deceit.

Utterly ludicrous.
Old 11th December 2023, 09:06 AM   #909
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

In other words, Beds Fire and Rescue does NOT rule out a mild hybrid diesel. Yet Full Fact and Jasper Jolly read the statement as otherwise.
What has Full Fact got to do with Jasper Jolly?

We know that Full Fact previously said what the fire service had confirmed to them: that the car involved was a diesel and not a hybrid. What an irony it is that you demand we read the fine details with more care when you then try to sneak in a weasely argument like that.
Old 11th December 2023, 10:02 AM   #910
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

...says the person who consistently demonstrates she doesn't know how anything works.
Old 11th December 2023, 10:02 AM   #911
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Ample evidence in this very forum indicates there is actually quite literally nothing that Vixen could not make up.
Old 11th December 2023, 10:15 AM   #912
Disbelief
Illuminator

They were on sale at some point in 2014.

I just searched a couple of UK car sales sites and found a few diesel hybrid Range Rovers for sale, all on '64' number plates (which ran from Sept 2014 to March 2015). Two listings had their registration dates, which were in November and December '14.

So it's likely that the model did in fact exist, but that only brings us back around to what Vixen's conspiracy theory actually is: the fire service deliberately deceived the public about the type of car involved and, when pressed by journalists, they are now doubling down on their deceit.

Utterly ludicrous.
Thanks for that, I didn't have time to check and I know press releases within the automotive sector are often just hype with no substance. They will also release very few cars sometimes to say that they met the goal, without producing any volume. So the chances of it being a MHEV is vanishingly small.

You do bring up a great point that she is saying that the fire service is actively involved in the cover up.

Old 11th December 2023, 10:52 AM   #913
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for that, I didn't have time to check and I know press releases within the automotive sector are often just hype with no substance. They will also release very few cars sometimes to say that they met the goal, without producing any volume. So the chances of it being a MHEV is vanishingly small.

You do bring up a great point that she is saying that the fire service is actively involved in the cover up.
Compare and contrast. Liverpool ECHO Car Park Fire 31 Dec 2017.

Next day in the newspapers, 1 Jan 2018:

Quote:
It is believed the inferno could have been stopped if sprinklers had been fitted in the building, a chief fire officer said.

Dan Stephens, of Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS), said such a system would have given crews a "much better" chance of stopping the fire, which went on to engulf seven floors of the multi-storey car park at the Echo Arena on Liverpool's waterfront after a Land Rover burst into flames.
DAILY EXPRESS

Fast forward to the Luton and now Bristol Airport Car Park fires and we have a sudden cloak of secrecy as to the model and make of car zero involved. So now the British public are expected to tolerate a couple of Prime Ministers claiming they have 'lost all' of their WhatsApp messages for a key six-mouth period of the Covid pandemic and to be fobbed off with 'accidental ignition' nonsense in the case of more recent car park fires as though the public has no right to basic information, I dare say to protect the profits of car companies the Prime Minister or/and his wife have shares in.

But the typical forelock-tugging Brit thinks this is all fine. We must allow politicians to speciously withhold hitherto open information of facts in the public interest because 'We are only minnows'. <fx scrape bow, tugs forelock>

~ Danzig

Old 11th December 2023, 11:06 AM   #914
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

No. They are not similar, and you are not even slightly qualified to say whether they are or not.
Old 11th December 2023, 11:08 AM   #915
GlennB

Next day in the newspapers, 1 Jan 2018:

DAILY EXPRESS

Bristol airport car parks are plain open-air. No sprinklers possible.
Old 11th December 2023, 11:12 AM   #916
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

...we have a sudden cloak of secrecy as to the model and make of car zero involved.
The "cloak" is all in your mind. Or rather, over it. The vehicle at which the fire started has been confirmed as diesel-fueled and -powered. There is no evidence to suggest it must be an electric vehicle or a hybrid as your very-well-debunked conspiracy theory suggests. None of your subsequent conspiratorial waffling and incoherent speculation change the reported facts.
Old 11th December 2023, 11:27 AM   #917
MarkCorrigan
Penultimate Amazing

Well vixen? It's rude to ignore questions.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2023, 11:31 AM   #918
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
The "cloak" is all in your mind. Or rather, over it. The vehicle at which the fire started has been confirmed as diesel-fueled and -powered. There is no evidence to suggest it must be an electric vehicle or a hybrid as your very-well-debunked conspiracy theory suggests. None of your subsequent conspiratorial waffling and incoherent speculation change the reported facts.
If you refuse to see the message Beds Fire and Rescue personally sent GUARDIAN journalist - (i.e., a serious journalist) - Jasper Jolly, in which they wind back on the mild hybrid issue, I cannot make you see it.

~ Danzig

Old 11th December 2023, 11:50 AM   #919
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

... we have a sudden cloak of secrecy
No, we don't.

We have information which anyone can glean if they care to, and which you might notice we have been openly discussing here, but we have a contenious point created by conspiracy-minded types spreading a false rumour on social media, which the fire service have been tolerantly correcting each time a journalist or similar asks them to confirm the information they already posted on their website.

That is not a cloak of secrecy. I'm sorry if that doesn't neatly fit into the exciting story you've written in your imagination but that's just how it is.
Old 11th December 2023, 11:53 AM   #920
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

If you refuse to see the message Beds Fire and Rescue personally sent GUARDIAN journalist - (i.e., a serious journalist) - Jasper Jolly, in which they wind back on the mild hybrid issue, I cannot make you see it.
You're right, I don't see what you're desperately trying to read into those statements. There is no evidence the car in question was a hybrid. There is no evidence the car in question was electric. No late statements provide any such evidence. Those are facts. Your frantic assumptions, insinuations, hand-waving, and inferences do not alter facts.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories