IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 17th November 2023, 07:48 AM   #601
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing
 
Andy_Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,909
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Do the Fire Service involved have a range rover fire engine?
Do they have a 56 meter hydraulic platform?

Were either involved in the incident?

A hydrant is the thing in the street that the fire service connect their hoses to .
Buildings usually have a dry riser and not a pressurised fire main.

It matters not as the Fire Service have confirmed it was a diesel car that started the fire.
__________________
Formerly known as Captain Swoop
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 07:49 AM   #602
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 24,710
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Ask yourself...
An invitation to speculate is not evidence. If you want to know why other evidence is not available, find out.

Quote:
It was thought that...
Who exactly is thinking this and how do you know that?

Quote:
Likewise, you have not been told the make and model as that would be a dead give away and we can't have Tata's 1m sq foot gigafactory for lithium batteries plan undermined, can we...?
Ignorant, handwaving speculation being presented as if it were fact: "Vixensplaining."
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 07:50 AM   #603
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing
 
Andy_Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,909
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
My professional standards holds me to protect my objectivity and in the context of being a layman, being easily persuaded by a tabloid news headline would fall under the heading of 'threat to objectivity' the clever headline that misleads. For example: 'LA Fire was Arson' as reported all over the US, when what Gov Newsom actually said was 'at this preliminary stage'. So, objectivity is important. When reading a website, you have to be aware of (a) what is the purpose of this website, what is it wanting to communicate? and (b) the source of the information conveyed: is it a 'Plain English' version of something a lot more complicated; is a source credited and (c) am I looking for information, eg., 'what does Beds Fire and Rescue do?' or 'Interesting facts about Beds Fire and Rescue' or even, 'About us, Fun Facts, Meet Our People!' or (d) News.

You might be aware that in the US there is a difference delineated between what is classed as 'news' and what is a 'magazine'. In the USA, tabloids, such as the DAILY HORROR MAIL would be classed as 'magazines' so borderline is their news content. In the UK, outlets wanting to call themselves 'news broadcasters' have to demonstrate impartiality and a standard of fact checking against fake news. Hence, you will always see the BBC providing the proper quoted source and not a ham-fisted 'Gotcha!' style junk to catch the reader's eye. As a recent example, the SUN had a headline, 'BRAVERMAN WILL JAIL HATE DEMONSTRATORS' (or similar) but she doesn't actually have that power thus was a typical misleading subeditor's headline. You need to be aware that if you are looking for 'information' on whether it is safe to leave your car at a car park, then Beds Fire and Rescue webpage will reassure you that the fire at Luton was a diesel, because the aim is not to let you know how the Fire and Police investigation is coming along but to convey a belief, as initially expressed by Fire Chief Hopkinson. If you want actual news on how the investigation is progressing: bad luck! All you have is the preliminary press statement as there is a gag until the investigation is concluded. News outlets cannot even discuss the driver as he has been arrested so that is potentially subjudice so newspaper lawyers would block attempt to publicise any information about him or interviews.

AIUI the Land Rover Evoque does have a mild hybrid battery under the left passenger seat which is where the flames in the CCTV image appear to be emanating.

Bear in mind that UK cars, unlike in Europe and the USA, have a right hand drive as it still drives on the left hand side of the road.
It was a diesel car that started the fire, it has been confirmed by the Fire Service involved.
__________________
Formerly known as Captain Swoop
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 07:51 AM   #604
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 24,710
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Oh wow, you are a fireman? Hence your handle? Cool.
Yes, others have the skill and experience to detect your ignorant pontifications and call you out on them. This is one of your typical methods of deflection when that occurs.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 07:51 AM   #605
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing
 
Andy_Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,909
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Below front left passenger is where the flames emanate from.
What is your evidence for this?
__________________
Formerly known as Captain Swoop
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 07:55 AM   #606
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 24,710
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
My professional standards...
...do not exist. You do not enjoy a reputation or presumption of honestly or competence. You have been caught in innumerable lies. You have been corrected, with explanations, by people far more knowledgeable and experienced than you on nearly every subject on which you profess expertise, yet you almost never acknowledge error or fact.

You're an uninformed armchair detective with delusions of grandeur. Nothing more.

Last edited by JayUtah; 17th November 2023 at 07:56 AM.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 08:01 AM   #607
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!
 
wollery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 11,258
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
This is silly. Fires are not nearly so predictable. When I was on my township's rescue squad, we saw everything from sustained burning for a half hour to sudden explosions when there was no evident fire. You just don't know. Eight to fifteen minutes for containment are average times, not some kind of absolute.



Good suggestion, but this thread would not exist if you heeded it.
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Oh wow, you are a fireman? Hence your handle? Cool.
That is some next level reading comprehension failure.
__________________
"You're a sick SOB. You know that, Wollery?" - Roadtoad

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 08:28 AM   #608
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 16,273
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Below front left passenger is where the flames emanate from.
I don't agree.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 08:54 AM   #609
MarkCorrigan
Penultimate Amazing
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,842
Why are you ignoring me again vixen? Stop being so rude, I've asked you questions you're ignoring.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 09:04 AM   #610
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 21,350
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
...do not exist. You do not enjoy a reputation or presumption of honestly or competence. You have been caught in innumerable lies. You have been corrected, with explanations, by people far more knowledgeable and experienced than you on nearly every subject on which you profess expertise, yet you almost never acknowledge error or fact.

You're an uninformed armchair detective with delusions of grandeur. Nothing more.
It's funny how those same professional standards presumably led her to cite "self-professed" dealership and garage employees posting comments on the Daily Mail site as experts on car fires.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 10:19 AM   #611
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,744
Originally Posted by wollery View Post
That is some next level reading comprehension failure.
Actually Vixen level reading comprehension. It is the norm for Vixen.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 10:39 AM   #612
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,152
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Actually Vixen level reading comprehension. It is the norm for Vixen.


No Steve, every single other person in every single thread she participates in is wrong about everything.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 17th November 2023 at 10:43 AM.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 11:01 AM   #613
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 113,784
Vixen - did the fire start with a diesel powered car?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 11:05 AM   #614
lobosrul5
Philosopher
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7,263
I wonder if Vixen realizes that after the fire spread, it certainly did ignite battery powered cars. I mean the odds of there being some hybrids or pure battery cars in that parking garage is essentially100%. Everyone knows this. And... no one has denied this. We all are aware that lithium batteries are flammable.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 11:12 AM   #615
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,744
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
No Steve, every single other person in every single thread she participates in is wrong about everything.
Yes, Vixen level reading comprehension is unique, as I said.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 12:37 PM   #616
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 30,082
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
You're lying again.
We need a macro.....
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 12:39 PM   #617
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 30,082
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
But don't you see, you are not believing your own eyes. The CCTV image clearly depicts what looks like a classic lithium fire (orange, red flames shooting out with grey smoke) and not a diesel one (thick billowing black clouds). In addition, were the car a completely conventional derv it would not self combust like that. Even if it was an unexpected electrical fault (which to be fair would not be surprising in a Range Rover model, if that is what it was, given its recent history of recall), the Fire Brigade, which arrived in eight minutes (verified fact) should have had no problem in putting it out, even if it had spread to one or more other cars. So definitely more probably a mild hybrid for it to become so intense and uncontrollable within minutes, two empty fire extinguishers as evidence of this.

Hopkinson's statement was obviously one of 'reassuring the public' (i.e., let's not panic about EV's, arson or terrorism) and reassure the public that 'we do not believe it was an EV. It is believed to be accidental and a diesel at this stage, subject to verification'.

Note the gag in naming the model and make or even the driver.
You're lying again.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 12:44 PM   #618
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 30,082
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
You address a judge as 'Sir', 'Madam' or 'M'Lud'. This is not Perry Mason.
Wrong. A UKian Circuit Judge is addressed in court as "Your Honour".
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 12:50 PM   #619
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 30,082
Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
Do the Fire Service involved have a range rover fire engine?
Do they have a 56 meter hydraulic platform?

Were either involved in the incident?

A hydrant is the thing in the street that the fire service connect their hoses to .
Buildings usually have a dry riser and not a pressurised fire main.

It matters not as the Fire Service have confirmed it was a diesel car that started the fire.
IIRR, and I may be wrong, only London has a 64m ALP. There are 16m and 32m platforms elsewhere.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 12:52 PM   #620
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 20,590
Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
A lot of words to say that there is nothing in your training that gives you any expertise on this, it's all conjecture. You make claims and expect us to take them at face value, yet no expertise for us to take you seriously.

Bolding mine I notice you changed your story. You first stated that the fire was from the front left in the motor compartment, now you claim that it was in the left middle. I know where the batteries are located, because I'm the one who mentioned it in this thread after you claimed front left.

As for knowing that UK has RHD cars, I work in the industry and have dealt with this for a long time. Considering we ship cars to multiple countries, I am sure I know a bit more about requirements in the various regions.

I'll say one thing: Vixen is remarkably persistent in her excruciatingly embarrassing attempts to "educate" people who are vastly better qualified, better informed and better logicians than her. Brava!
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 01:13 PM   #621
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 24,710
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
You address a judge as 'Sir', 'Madam' or 'M'Lud'. This is not Perry Mason.
Obligatory Monty Python reference.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5d3db3c...260a0#J-GnA7G1

And of course no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 01:16 PM   #622
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 38,264
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
No. The official written statement of the responsible authority is not a secondary source.

It must be a secondary source, because it doesn't say what Vixen wants it to say.

Vixen's primary sources are those "self-professed garages and dealers" posting on the Daily Mail website.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 01:16 PM   #623
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,152
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
IIRR, and I may be wrong, only London has a 64m ALP. There are 16m and 32m platforms elsewhere.
Having worked in the lifting industry (I was project accountant on the largest lifting project in South America), equipment like that takes time to deploy, the outriggers are crucial and great care is taken to ensure that they are on suitable surfaces.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 01:20 PM   #624
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 24,710
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
I'll say one thing: Vixen is remarkably persistent in her excruciatingly embarrassing attempts to "educate" people who are vastly better qualified, better informed and better logicians than her. Brava!
One of the most evocative reasons why armchair detectives are worse than useless.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 01:22 PM   #625
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wales
Posts: 31,360
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Having worked in the lifting industry (I was project accountant on the largest lifting project in South America), equipment like that takes time to deploy, the outriggers are crucial and great care is taken to ensure that they are on suitable surfaces.
The only number Vixen recognises is the response time for arrival at the car park. She seems to think that in the following minute high-powered jets of water will be flying towards the fire.
__________________
"There ain't half been some clever bastards" - Ian Dury
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 01:40 PM   #626
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 30,082
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Having worked in the lifting industry (I was project accountant on the largest lifting project in South America), equipment like that takes time to deploy, the outriggers are crucial and great care is taken to ensure that they are on suitable surfaces.
Absolutely, especially when you're spraying a tonne of water every 25 seconds at that height.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 01:46 PM   #627
Disbelief
Illuminator
 
Disbelief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,300
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
I'll say one thing: Vixen is remarkably persistent in her excruciatingly embarrassing attempts to "educate" people who are vastly better qualified, better informed and better logicians than her. Brava!
I'm just amazed that she has expertise in so many fields. I try to understand my limitations when it comes to many of these threads and am amazed at the knowledge many here have. I do like to add my 2 cents when it is something I do have knowledge of and I find it hilarious that she thinks she needs to explain RHD in the UK to me.
__________________
Zensmack (LastChild, Laughing Assassin, RazetheFlag, Wastrel, TruthbyDecree) - Working his way up the sock puppet chain, trying to overtake P'Doh. Or, are they the same?

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 02:00 PM   #628
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 24,710
Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
I'm just amazed that she has expertise in so many fields.
The thrill of being an armchair detective is that you're instantly qualified in any subject that comes up, and should be given appropriate credit for it.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 02:03 PM   #629
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wales
Posts: 31,360
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
The thrill of being an armchair detective is that you're instantly qualified in any subject that comes up, and should be given appropriate credit for it.
Listing these 'qualifications' could be fun, but would probably be seen as a 'call out', and rather naughty.

Sillius Soddus
__________________
"There ain't half been some clever bastards" - Ian Dury
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 02:09 PM   #630
SteveAitch
Graduate Poster
 
SteveAitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: St Aines
Posts: 1,093
Yeah, Private Eye recognised that...

__________________
If this board is too exciting for you, try my Flickr pages. Warning: may cause narcolepsy!

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 02:28 PM   #631
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wales
Posts: 31,360
Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
Yeah, Private Eye recognised that...

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7d67e3a59e.jpg
I clicked your Flickr link ... brilliant! I know Staines a little and will have another look. Also cats, can't go wrong with cats.
__________________
"There ain't half been some clever bastards" - Ian Dury
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2023, 04:03 PM   #632
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher
 
W.D.Clinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,686
This fact is worth repeating:
Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
Also the official Fire Service website is a primary source.
It has confirmed several weeks ago that the car was a diesel.
Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
It was confirmed several weeks ago by the Fire Service that it was a diesel car.
Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
[...] has been confirmed by the Fire Service that it was a diesel car
Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
It matters not as the Fire Service have confirmed it was a diesel car that started the fire.
Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
It was a diesel car that started the fire, it has been confirmed by the Fire Service involved.

The fire started in a diesel vehicle, as was confirmed by the Fire Service over a month ago.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
My professional standards
That's an interesting mode of argument, but it doesn't really work.

You don't win an argument by getting your critics to roll around on the floor, laughing uncontrollably.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2023, 12:08 AM   #633
Dabop
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,118
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Having worked in the lifting industry (I was project accountant on the largest lifting project in South America), equipment like that takes time to deploy, the outriggers are crucial and great care is taken to ensure that they are on suitable surfaces.
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Absolutely, especially when you're spraying a tonne of water every 25 seconds at that height.
I used to drive a tilt tray with a company that had a 'heavy haul rotator' combination towtruck and 'semi crane' often used in accident retrievals/rollovers etc as well as being able to lift and pull broken down large semitrailer prime movers- still with their trailers attached...

When used as a 'crane' it had extending outriggers, and they took a LOT of care on placing and levelling it before deploying the boom- not only does the truck have to be levelled (even a few degrees of 'list' can have dramatic impacts on the stability and weight lifting ability) but you have to assess the surface of what you are lifting from- tar is actually quite a poor surface when it comes to 'point loads' (which is what the outrigger feet represent) and can 'punch through', which can lead to the outriggers sinking and the whole thing possibly tipping over...
And that only had a 12m boom fully extended!!!

I hate to think of what a 64m boom with directed 'water jet' on top adding an axial thrust to the top of a couple of tonnes a minute or more would require to safely set up!!!, even their smaller 32m boom versions (which would only be about halfway up to the fire) is over DOUBLE the height of our boom- you don't just pull up and crank it into the sky LOL
(even then there are 'charts' on the control panels door of the rotator, showing how the angle of lift (both vertical angle ie tilt and the 'swing angle' ie off the back is more stable, directly off the sides almost as much, 45 degrees off any corner greatly reduces stability) and the ground 'load bearing' ability for various surfaces...

All carefully checked before they even start moving a single lever, get it wrong and well- you get to have an 'up close and personal' meeting with the ground...

(I got to run with it quite a few times as the 'offsider' aka 'gopher' (gopher the chains, gopher the shackles, gopher the straps lol), you need a LOT of training and certification before you are allowed to actually operate these things yourself...they preferred to have multiple people onsite when it was being used as a rotator (rather than just a heavy lifter) as more eyes means more safety for all concerned)
ETA not ours, but a very similar one, this one belongs to Ron Pratt who has a youtube channel (LOL- I am subscribed to several 'tow company' channels) for those who don't know what a rotator is...

Lifting a school bus on two winches, the car behind it on the aux boom winches, and he has another one at the rear deck as well still free (plus an underlift on the back for towing trucks etc)
That firefighting rig is literally over four times higher (Rons truck isn't at full height or full extension there)
__________________
It's a kind of a strawman thing in that it's exactly a strawman thing. Loss Leader

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin

Last edited by Dabop; 18th November 2023 at 12:19 AM.
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2023, 02:43 AM   #634
SteveAitch
Graduate Poster
 
SteveAitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: St Aines
Posts: 1,093
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I clicked your Flickr link ... brilliant! I know Staines a little and will have another look. Also cats, can't go wrong with cats.
Thanks. Though the way they are 'developing'* Staines at the moment, plus the usual 'death of the High Street', it may be a bit different from what you knew!


* Surrey needs more accomodation and have decided most of it should be in central Staines.
__________________
If this board is too exciting for you, try my Flickr pages. Warning: may cause narcolepsy!

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2023, 05:32 AM   #635
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 34,780
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
No. The official written statement of the responsible authority is not a secondary source.



Is it your position that no facts can be known or reported until some kind of final report?

In other cases you have explicitly dismissed final reports in favor of early, unreliable media sources and "guys on the internet."



Is it your position that no facts can be known or reliability reported until the final report of an investigative body?

As an objective person who bases conclusions on fact-finding - and this can only be done as a result of an investigation in the case of a major fire - that is correct. That is my position.

I get that people uninterested in a topic are happy to just go along with an early opinion. Whilst a post-mortem might confirm that early opinion, for me it doesn't become a confirmed fact until that post-mortem has been done.


As for 'guys on the internet', I am quite capable of sifting false fact and opinion from confirmed fact. For example, I saw plenty of Brexiteer views but I was able to see through some of the lies and false facts they presented, they may even have had one or two good points. So yes, I can cope with people having a different opinion from myself. I do not find it threatening. I think people find people with an opinion different from their own threatening because they do not have enough confidence in their critical ability so they often see a counter argument as a personal affront but mainly, the problem is they do not understand how debating works or the rules of debate. So they believe the only solution is to demand that a debate be shut down.
__________________
who claims the soulless
Who speaks for the forgotten dead

~ Danzig


Last edited by Vixen; 18th November 2023 at 05:33 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2023, 05:38 AM   #636
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing
 
Andy_Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,909
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
As an objective person who bases conclusions on fact-finding - and this can only be done as a result of an investigation in the case of a major fire - that is correct. That is my position.

I get that people uninterested in a topic are happy to just go along with an early opinion. Whilst a post-mortem might confirm that early opinion, for me it doesn't become a confirmed fact until that post-mortem has been done.


As for 'guys on the internet', I am quite capable of sifting false fact and opinion from confirmed fact. For example, I saw plenty of Brexiteer views but I was able to see through some of the lies and false facts they presented, they may even have had one or two good points. So yes, I can cope with people having a different opinion from myself. I do not find it threatening. I think people find people with an opinion different from their own threatening because they do not have enough confidence in their critical ability so they often see a counter argument as a personal affront but mainly, the problem is they do not understand how debating works or the rules of debate. So they believe the only solution is to demand that a debate be shut down.
The Fire Service has confirmed on their official website that the car that started the fire was a diesel.

You don't get any more primary.
__________________
Formerly known as Captain Swoop
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2023, 05:38 AM   #637
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 34,780
Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
Yet this is what you said before:



Which is different from under the front passenger seat. You do realize there is a lot of car in front of the passenger. Also, you claim to know about the battery location, but you don't seem to realize that different models have them in different locations. Instead of saying you AIUI about the battery location, how about you actually look it up and source it.

ETA: And as Andy Ross so elegantly put it, The Fire Service confirmed it was a diesel car.
I do understand that different car models have their lithium battery in different places. I understand that a Range Rover Evoque does have its battery near the front passenger.

I am aware that this can change in a different year.

Here is everything we know so far (the correct and full version):

Quote:
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service revealed on Wednesday morning the cause of the blaze was a diesel car.

We dont believe it was an electric vehicle, Andrew Hopkinson, chief fire officer for Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said.

Its believed to be diesel-powered, at this stage all subject to verification. And then that fire has quickly and rapidly spread.
Independent
__________________
who claims the soulless
Who speaks for the forgotten dead

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2023, 05:41 AM   #638
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 34,780
Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
It was a diesel car that started the fire, it has been confirmed by the Fire Service involved.

The full and correct quote is as follows:

Quote:
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service revealed on Wednesday morning the cause of the blaze was a diesel car.

We dont believe it was an electric vehicle, Andrew Hopkinson, chief fire officer for Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said.

Its believed to be diesel-powered, at this stage all subject to verification. And then that fire has quickly and rapidly spread.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2429048.html

Stop spreading misinformation.
__________________
who claims the soulless
Who speaks for the forgotten dead

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2023, 05:42 AM   #639
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 34,780
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Vixen - did the fire start with a diesel powered car?
See above for the full and correct information we have so far.
__________________
who claims the soulless
Who speaks for the forgotten dead

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2023, 05:43 AM   #640
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 34,780
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
I wonder if Vixen realizes that after the fire spread, it certainly did ignite battery powered cars. I mean the odds of there being some hybrids or pure battery cars in that parking garage is essentially100%. Everyone knows this. And... no one has denied this. We all are aware that lithium batteries are flammable.
We are talking about Car Zero.
__________________
who claims the soulless
Who speaks for the forgotten dead

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.