ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 24th April 2014, 07:57 AM   #1
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,106
Scorpion's Spiritualism

I realize I am not the smartest kid on the block, and that I am out of my depth in many debates. But this does not take away from me the life experience of delving into psychic matters. I have had very evidential messages from mediums, and they told me facts that they could not have known. James Randi says they are just cold reading but my experience teaches me otherwise, and no amount of reasoning will be likely to change my mind. I was told here that human memory is flawed and that is why I think I remember some things, but for me that is just flim flam, and an attempt to sweep my experiences aside. I am confident my memory of some incidents is fairly accurate. Therefore my conclusions about them remain the same in spite of dismissive arguments I have read here. I conclude there probably is a God, and the human mind survives death , and consciousness is stored in a higher vessel than the brain. I think there is not enough evidence either way to prove or disprove this, so it does not matter how clever some of the people here are, all they have done is outsmart themselves. They have closed their minds to the possibility there is a divine purpose and meaning to life and experience because they have no evidence. Which leaves us with faith as the only road to belief in God.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I realize I am not the smartest kid on the block, and that I am out of my depth in many debates. But this does not take away from me the life experience of delving into psychic matters. I have had very evidential messages from mediums, and they told me facts that they could not have known. James Randi says they are just cold reading but my experience teaches me otherwise, and no amount of reasoning will be likely to change my mind. I was told here that human memory is flawed and that is why I think I remember some things, but for me that is just flim flam, and an attempt to sweep my experiences aside. I am confident my memory of some incidents is fairly accurate. Therefore my conclusions about them remain the same in spite of dismissive arguments I have read here. I conclude there probably is a God, and the human mind survives death , and consciousness is stored in a higher vessel than the brain. I think there is not enough evidence either way to prove or disprove this, so it does not matter how clever some of the people here are, all they have done is outsmart themselves. They have closed their minds to the possibility there is a divine purpose and meaning to life and experience because they have no evidence. Which leaves us with faith as the only road to belief in God.
May I take it that's "NO" WRT the OP?
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 08:37 AM   #3
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster
 
DuvalHMFIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,127
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I realize I am not the smartest kid on the block, and that I am out of my depth in many debates. But this does not take away from me the life experience of delving into psychic matters. I have had very evidential messages from mediums, and they told me facts that they could not have known. James Randi says they are just cold reading but my experience teaches me otherwise, and no amount of reasoning will be likely to change my mind. I was told here that human memory is flawed and that is why I think I remember some things, but for me that is just flim flam, and an attempt to sweep my experiences aside. I am confident my memory of some incidents is fairly accurate. Therefore my conclusions about them remain the same in spite of dismissive arguments I have read here. I conclude there probably is a God, and the human mind survives death , and consciousness is stored in a higher vessel than the brain. I think there is not enough evidence either way to prove or disprove this, so it does not matter how clever some of the people here are, all they have done is outsmart themselves. They have closed their minds to the possibility there is a divine purpose and meaning to life and experience because they have no evidence. Which leaves us with faith as the only road to belief in God.
I realize I am not the smartest kid on the block, and that I am out of my depth in many debates. But this does not take away from me the life experience of delving into magic matters. I watched as David Copperfield made the statue of liberty disappear. I watched as Penn & Teller caught actual bullets in their mouth. Sure, some people say they are just "tricks", but I know what I saw. These claims of "tricks" are just an attempt to sweep my experiences aside. I am confident my memory of these incidents is fairly accurate. Therefore my conclusions about them remain the same in spite of dismissive arguments I have read here.
__________________
Ben is sick ladies and gentlemen, thats right, Ben is sick.
DuvalHMFIC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 08:41 AM   #4
rayheno
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I realize I am not the smartest kid on the block, and that I am out of my depth in many debates. But this does not take away from me the life experience of delving into psychic matters. I have had very evidential messages from mediums, and they told me facts that they could not have known. James Randi says they are just cold reading but my experience teaches me otherwise, and no amount of reasoning will be likely to change my mind. I was told here that human memory is flawed and that is why I think I remember some things, but for me that is just flim flam, and an attempt to sweep my experiences aside. I am confident my memory of some incidents is fairly accurate. Therefore my conclusions about them remain the same in spite of dismissive arguments I have read here. I conclude there probably is a God, and the human mind survives death , and consciousness is stored in a higher vessel than the brain. I think there is not enough evidence either way to prove or disprove this, so it does not matter how clever some of the people here are, all they have done is outsmart themselves. They have closed their minds to the possibility there is a divine purpose and meaning to life and experience because they have no evidence. Which leaves us with faith as the only road to belief in God.
For myself I see no reason to boast that 'no amount of reasoning will be likely to change my mind'. In that case what is your purpose here? To preach? To educate? Because it seems you have excluded to learn.
rayheno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 09:20 AM   #5
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,649
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I realize I am not the smartest kid on the block, and that I am out of my depth in many debates. But this does not take away from me the life experience of delving into psychic matters. I have had very evidential messages from mediums, and they told me facts that they could not have known. James Randi says they are just cold reading but my experience teaches me otherwise, and no amount of reasoning will be likely to change my mind. I was told here that human memory is flawed and that is why I think I remember some things, but for me that is just flim flam, and an attempt to sweep my experiences aside. I am confident my memory of some incidents is fairly accurate. Therefore my conclusions about them remain the same in spite of dismissive arguments I have read here. I conclude there probably is a God, and the human mind survives death , and consciousness is stored in a higher vessel than the brain. I think there is not enough evidence either way to prove or disprove this, so it does not matter how clever some of the people here are, all they have done is outsmart themselves. They have closed their minds to the possibility there is a divine purpose and meaning to life and experience because they have no evidence. Which leaves us with faith as the only road to belief in God.
Us, who?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 09:21 AM   #6
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I realize I am not the smartest kid on the block, and that I am out of my depth in many debates. But this does not take away from me the life experience of delving into psychic matters. I have had very evidential messages from mediums, and they told me facts that they could not have known. James Randi says they are just cold reading but my experience teaches me otherwise, and no amount of reasoning will be likely to change my mind. I was told here that human memory is flawed and that is why I think I remember some things, but for me that is just flim flam, and an attempt to sweep my experiences aside. I am confident my memory of some incidents is fairly accurate. Therefore my conclusions about them remain the same in spite of dismissive arguments I have read here. I conclude there probably is a God, and the human mind survives death , and consciousness is stored in a higher vessel than the brain. I think there is not enough evidence either way to prove or disprove this, so it does not matter how clever some of the people here are, all they have done is outsmart themselves. They have closed their minds to the possibility there is a divine purpose and meaning to life and experience because they have no evidence. Which leaves us with faith as the only road to belief in God.
Your personal experience sweeps aside all of physics?

The divine purpose and meaning to life always seem to come down to telling god how wonderful he is.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 09:23 AM   #7
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,847
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
... no amount of reasoning will be likely to change my mind.
There's your problem
__________________
Simple probability tells us that we should expect coincidences, and simple psychology tells us that we'll remember the ones we notice...
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,106
Originally Posted by rayheno View Post
For myself I see no reason to boast that 'no amount of reasoning will be likely to change my mind'. In that case what is your purpose here? To preach? To educate? Because it seems you have excluded to learn.
I think it unlikely that anyone else here has as much experience of psychic mediums as I have. I have been looking into it since the 1960's and I attended many trance lectures at the spiritualist association in London throughout the 1970's. My conclusions were that some mediums are genuine, and they do not just do cold reading, as James Randi says. They do tell you facts and names, and details that it would be difficult for them to know unless they are doing what they say they are doing. Which is talking to the spirits of the departed. I conclude that most people here have little or no experience of psychics, and they write them off because of a preconception that they must all be fakes. Or it would entirely change the scientific paradigm. We would have to accept life after death, and higher realms of experience. Therefore I guess I am trying to preach a belief system.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 09:29 AM   #9
superfreddy
Muse
 
superfreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 807
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I realize I am not the smartest kid on the block, and that I am out of my depth in many debates. But this does not take away from me the life experience of delving into psychic matters. I have had very evidential messages from mediums, and they told me facts that they could not have known. James Randi says they are just cold reading but my experience teaches me otherwise, and no amount of reasoning will be likely to change my mind. I was told here that human memory is flawed and that is why I think I remember some things, but for me that is just flim flam, and an attempt to sweep my experiences aside. I am confident my memory of some incidents is fairly accurate. Therefore my conclusions about them remain the same in spite of dismissive arguments I have read here. I conclude there probably is a God, and the human mind survives death , and consciousness is stored in a higher vessel than the brain. I think there is not enough evidence either way to prove or disprove this, so it does not matter how clever some of the people here are, all they have done is outsmart themselves. They have closed their minds to the possibility there is a divine purpose and meaning to life and experience because they have no evidence. Which leaves us with faith as the only road to belief in God.
Some years ago, my views were not that dissimilar to yours. This site has helped me a lot. Stick around and keep an open mind, you will learn new things form many intelligent people around here. I know I did (still do)
superfreddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,649
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Therefore I guess I am trying to preach a belief system.
Yes.

Good luck.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 09:43 AM   #11
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,106
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Your personal experience sweeps aside all of physics?
The laws of physics are not incompatible with the possible existence of higher undetectable realms. The spirit world says the higher worlds are vibrating at a far higher rate than physical atoms, and the realms inter-penetrate. So they can exist in the same place without being perceptible by any other means than psychic development. Using the senses of the astral and mental bodies to see into higher dimensions. Using the chakras in the etheric body as channels.

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
The divine purpose and meaning to life always seem to come down to telling god how wonderful he is.
There may be a purpose in all experience, no matter how harsh it seems from a human point of view. Hard experience strengthens the soul in the same way that the struggle between predators and pray forces evolution in both.
The spirit world says that God remains above all this and we ultimately evolve spiritually toward reuniting with him in a state of grace, at which time our sufferings will seem a small price to pay. This takes place over many, many incarnations, not just one human lifetime.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 10:30 AM   #12
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 14,569
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I realize I am not the smartest kid on the block, and that I am out of my depth in many debates. But this does not take away from me the life experience of delving into psychic matters. I have had very evidential messages from mediums, and they told me facts that they could not have known. James Randi says they are just cold reading but my experience teaches me otherwise, and no amount of reasoning will be likely to change my mind. I was told here that human memory is flawed and that is why I think I remember some things, but for me that is just flim flam, and an attempt to sweep my experiences aside. I am confident my memory of some incidents is fairly accurate. Therefore my conclusions about them remain the same in spite of dismissive arguments I have read here. I conclude there probably is a God, and the human mind survives death , and consciousness is stored in a higher vessel than the brain. I think there is not enough evidence either way to prove or disprove this, so it does not matter how clever some of the people here are, all they have done is outsmart themselves. They have closed their minds to the possibility there is a divine purpose and meaning to life and experience because they have no evidence. Which leaves us with faith as the only road to belief in God.
So your answer to the OP is that you haven't changed your mind based on participation on the JREF. That's cool. Stick around anyway.
__________________
My kids still love me.
Garrette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 01:41 PM   #13
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Your personal experience sweeps aside all of physics?

The divine purpose and meaning to life always seem to come down to telling god how wonderful he is.
Hey tsig! Did I change your mind about whether the estate of a deceased person could maintain an action for damages for assault on that person? You deserted the discussion rather than reply to my post (and those of others) having told me that I did not understand the term 'estate'.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 05:31 PM   #14
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I think it unlikely that anyone else here has as much experience of psychic mediums as I have. I have been looking into it since the 1960's and I attended many trance lectures at the spiritualist association in London throughout the 1970's. My conclusions were that some mediums are genuine, and they do not just do cold reading, as James Randi says. They do tell you facts and names, and details that it would be difficult for them to know unless they are doing what they say they are doing. Which is talking to the spirits of the departed. I conclude that most people here have little or no experience of psychics, and they write them off because of a preconception that they must all be fakes. Or it would entirely change the scientific paradigm. We would have to accept life after death, and higher realms of experience. Therefore I guess I am trying to preach a belief system.
I will be fascinated to see your evidence of, for instance, "talking" to the "spirits" of the "departed". Not, I hope, about appliances...
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 05:40 PM   #15
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
[quote=Scorpion;9968994]The laws of physics are not incompatible with the possible existence of higher undetectable realms. The spirit world says the higher worlds are vibrating at a far higher rate than physical atoms,

...and you know this...how? What is your source of what the "spirit world" says?

[quote=Scorpion;9968994]...and the realms inter-penetrate. {/quote]

...and this has been demonstrated...how?

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
So they can exist in the same place without being perceptible by any other means than psychic development. Using the senses of the astral and mental bodies to see into higher dimensions. Using the chakras in the etheric body as channels.
Ah. You can only "perceive" them if you believe that you can perceive them in ways that those who do not believe cannot perceive.

Cool story

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There may be a purpose in all experience, no matter how harsh it seems from a human point of view. Hard experience strengthens the soul in the same way that the struggle between predators and pray forces evolution in both.
Odd typo, or...NEW REVELATION?

"Oh, Mighty Chatterjee, please don't let this leopard get me...I will offer up 70 bananas and a mango if you preserve me..."

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The spirit world says that God remains above all this...
...and you know this...how? What is your source for what the "spirit world" says?

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
...and we ultimately evolve spiritually toward reuniting with him in a state of grace, at which time our sufferings will seem a small price to pay. This takes place over many, many incarnations, not just one human lifetime.
Don't suppose you plan to offer anything resembling evidence for any of this, do you?
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 07:14 PM   #16
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,910
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The laws of physics are not incompatible with the possible existence of higher undetectable realms. The spirit world says the higher worlds are vibrating at a far higher rate than physical atoms, and the realms inter-penetrate. [...]
Woo-woo new age nonsense. Who is this 'spirit world' you cite, and what are his/her credentials to spout such silliness?
__________________
"Sufficiently advanced malice is indistinguishable from incompetence. = godless Dave
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 09:40 PM   #17
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing
 
I Ratant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,258
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
... Which leaves us with faith as the only road to belief in God.
.
And that IS correct!
Faith tosses out reality for a wish.
When reality is finally recognized as reality, and faith and belief do not affect reality ever, one can confidently abandon faith with no qualms.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2014, 09:58 PM   #18
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing
 
I Ratant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,258
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
... This takes place over many, many incarnations, not just one human lifetime.
.
The problem with incarnations is there's more people alive than have died.
Whereat do those souls come from?
Humanity began with just a handful of homo sapiens, who bred and fruitfully multiplied the number of us.
A "handful" of souls is now several billion?
How's that compute?
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 01:50 AM   #19
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster
 
TofuFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,604
Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
.
The problem with incarnations is there's more people alive than have died.
Whereat do those souls come from?
Humanity began with just a handful of homo sapiens, who bred and fruitfully multiplied the number of us.
A "handful" of souls is now several billion?
How's that compute?
People like repeating this 70's-born phrase, (i think) because it sounds good, but almost any reasonable and even conservative calculations arrive at a 'total-deceased' figure of between 80 and 100 billion.
__________________
"come on. Judas is meeting us at midnight with the getaway donkeys"
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 03:11 AM   #20
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
People like repeating this 70's-born phrase, (i think) because it sounds good, but almost any reasonable and even conservative calculations arrive at a 'total-deceased' figure of between 80 and 100 billion.
Well, in that case, where are all the missing 73-93 billion unreincarnated dead people? Hmmm? Let's see you answer that smart aleck!
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 04:16 AM   #21
Hungry81
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,547
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Well, in that case, where are all the missing 73-93 billion unreincarnated dead people? Hmmm? Let's see you answer that smart aleck!
On vacation in Heaven-Tahiti
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 04:54 AM   #22
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster
 
TofuFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,604
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Well, in that case, where are all the missing 73-93 billion unreincarnated dead people? Hmmm? Let's see you answer that smart aleck!

Aaaargh. I deliberately avoided making any kind of supposition about reincarnation, and reserved myself to smartaleckyness.

But since you ask... I'm assuming they're being recycled! Souls are issued to the first squillion people/creatures who correctly complete the application form in triplicate, and this form is tacitly accepted as a re-application upon the death of the squillionth (and so forth) person/animal.

If it happens that people/critters find themselves to be soulless, this is more than likely due to clerical errors or automatic disqualification (which i can only speculate might apply to such beings as locusts, goats and people who cut in lines)
__________________
"come on. Judas is meeting us at midnight with the getaway donkeys"
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 05:00 AM   #23
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Aaaargh. I deliberately avoided making any kind of supposition about reincarnation, and reserved myself to smartaleckyness.

But since you ask... I'm assuming they're being recycled! Souls are issued to the first squillion people/creatures who correctly complete the application form in triplicate, and this form is tacitly accepted as a re-application upon the death of the squillionth (and so forth) person/animal.

If it happens that people/critters find themselves to be soulless, this is more than likely due to clerical errors or automatic disqualification (which i can only speculate might apply to such beings as locusts, goats and people who cut in lines)
Darn bureaucrats! They're at the bottom of everything!
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 05:07 AM   #24
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster
 
TofuFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,604
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Darn bureaucrats! They're at the bottom of everything!
Except possibly the most preferable thing - the ocean.
__________________
"come on. Judas is meeting us at midnight with the getaway donkeys"
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 05:40 AM   #25
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Hey tsig! Did I change your mind about whether the estate of a deceased person could maintain an action for damages for assault on that person? You deserted the discussion rather than reply to my post (and those of others) having told me that I did not understand the term 'estate'.
It was a misreading on my part.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 06:40 AM   #26
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
It was a misreading on my part.
And what prevented you from saying so at the time? I mean, that is what this thread is actually about. As I recall, you just cheesed off in silence instead of piping up. In fact, it was a little worse than that because you launched your point with a sarcastic attack on my professional credentials as a lawyer so, at the very least, I should have thought an apology was due. Don't get me wrong. I don't mind in the least and I am not asking you to apologise. I just want you to know I remembered it and that these things tend to hang in the air. Better not to misread of course but, far better than that, when you do, is to own up and make your peace with the thread, the forum and/or the other poster.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 08:51 AM   #27
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
And what prevented you from saying so at the time? I mean, that is what this thread is actually about. As I recall, you just cheesed off in silence instead of piping up. In fact, it was a little worse than that because you launched your point with a sarcastic attack on my professional credentials as a lawyer so, at the very least, I should have thought an apology was due. Don't get me wrong. I don't mind in the least and I am not asking you to apologise. I just want you to know I remembered it and that these things tend to hang in the air. Better not to misread of course but, far better than that, when you do, is to own up and make your peace with the thread, the forum and/or the other poster.
I just did.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 08:52 AM   #28
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing
 
I Ratant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,258
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Well, in that case, where are all the missing 73-93 billion unreincarnated dead people? Hmmm? Let's see you answer that smart aleck!
.
What is interesting of all that pool of souls to draw from, only the known historical figures get the "second, third..." chance.
The many others that lived and died in anonymity get no second chance, if the claims of having a past life had any basis in reality.
I get Military History Quarterly. The number of grunts dying in battle, and the toll on the losing sides is enormous, but it's only Napoleon who shows up 100 years later, not one of the grunts that died at Waterloo.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 08:55 AM   #29
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
I just did.
Several weeks late and only after a reminder.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 09:00 AM   #30
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
.
What is interesting of all that pool of souls to draw from, only the known historical figures get the "second, third..." chance.
The many others that lived and died in anonymity get no second chance, if the claims of having a past life had any basis in reality.
I get Military History Quarterly. The number of grunts dying in battle, and the toll on the losing sides is enormous, but it's only Napoleon who shows up 100 years later, not one of the grunts that died at Waterloo.
Funny, but I've noticed that too!

The thing that always strikes me about reincarnation of the common or garden variety is - so what? Say I am the reincarnation of some nobody no one ever heard of. What of it? I don't remember him and he had no foreknowledge of me. So it's exactly the same as if he died and I was born and neither event had any connection with the other. More to the point, it means death is forever or that it is not not forever because of reincarnation.

Reincarnation only addresses the problem of being permanently dead, or permanently not being, if there is some cognitive link between the dead one and the living one, otherwise it's pointless.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 09:45 AM   #31
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster
 
Myron Proudfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern VA/DC
Posts: 2,361
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I did in a past life...
__________________
InfoWars. Punching logic in the face on a daily basis. (from Facebook)
Myron Proudfoot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 10:53 AM   #32
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Several weeks late and only after a reminder.
Here's a pound of flesh, will that do or will you insist on a full auto-de-fe?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 11:02 AM   #33
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Funny, but I've noticed that too!

The thing that always strikes me about reincarnation of the common or garden variety is - so what? Say I am the reincarnation of some nobody no one ever heard of. What of it? I don't remember him and he had no foreknowledge of me. So it's exactly the same as if he died and I was born and neither event had any connection with the other. More to the point, it means death is forever or that it is not not forever because of reincarnation.

Reincarnation only addresses the problem of being permanently dead, or permanently not being, if there is some cognitive link between the dead one and the living one, otherwise it's pointless.
I would very much appreciate it if you would post this in Rich Savage's "Bayesian Statistics" thread...
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=248163
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 11:25 AM   #34
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Here's a pound of flesh, will that do or will you insist on a full auto-de-fe?
No, as I made clear, I don't seek anything. I just used your case as an example of a JREF member having a misconception corrected for them.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 11:52 AM   #35
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,647
Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
.
The problem with incarnations is there's more people alive than have died.
Whereat do those souls come from?
Humanity began with just a handful of homo sapiens, who bred and fruitfully multiplied the number of us.
A "handful" of souls is now several billion?
How's that compute?
I seem to remember a science fiction story from some years ago in which babies started to be born without minds/brains. The x-planation was that there was a finite number of souls and the Universe had run out (some number were normally in the buffer in Heaven but it was exhausted).
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick

Last edited by Gord_in_Toronto; 25th April 2014 at 11:55 AM.
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 12:11 PM   #36
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,925
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I seem to remember a science fiction story from some years ago in which babies started to be born without minds/brains. The x-planation was that there was a finite number of souls and the Universe had run out (some number were normally in the buffer in Heaven but it was exhausted).
I've read that one. The protagonist (a Buddhist IIRC) decides to commit suicide so that one less child will be born mindless.

I've also read a story where someone investigating why life expectancy appears to be dropping finally works out that every time the world's population exceeds a certain number the oldest person alive drops dead, apparently to free a soul for the next baby to be born. Can't remember the title or author of that one either.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2014, 01:24 PM   #37
thenigotoffthebus
Scholar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I think it unlikely that anyone else here has as much experience of psychic mediums as I have. I have been looking into it since the 1960's and I attended many trance lectures at the spiritualist association in London throughout the 1970's. My conclusions were that some mediums are genuine, and they do not just do cold reading, as James Randi says. They do tell you facts and names, and details that it would be difficult for them to know unless they are doing what they say they are doing. Which is talking to the spirits of the departed. I conclude that most people here have little or no experience of psychics, and they write them off because of a preconception that they must all be fakes. Or it would entirely change the scientific paradigm. We would have to accept life after death, and higher realms of experience. Therefore I guess I am trying to preach a belief system.
So why cant any of these psychics ever demonstrate these abilities under controlled conditions? One thing about psychics is that it's actually very easy to test the claims they make.

The things you list - "Facts and names, and details that it would be difficult for them to know unless they are doing what they say they are doing" - all very easy to test under controlled conditions. All things that psychics apparently do with ease day in day out during private sessions, stage and TV shows. Yet as soon as simple controls are used that prevent shenanigans (and more importantly prevent natural human cognitive biases from skewing the results) the abilities mysteriously disappear.

Show me results from a few credible, properly controlled tests that demonstrate psychic ability exists and I'll change my mind on the matter. What will it take for you to change yours?
thenigotoffthebus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2014, 10:34 AM   #38
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,106
Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
.
The problem with incarnations is there's more people alive than have died.
Whereat do those souls come from?
Humanity began with just a handful of homo sapiens, who bred and fruitfully multiplied the number of us.
A "handful" of souls is now several billion?
How's that compute?
The spiritualist mediums I have studied teach that we incarnate on many, many different planets. They are at different stages of evolution, and some are far higher in development than ours. The soul or spirit goes to a planet that is at a stage of evolution where experience will benefit that soul.
There are also countless souls in the spirit world between incarnations. According to the mediums I have heard giving trance lectures, there has been a great rush of souls wanting to incarnate on the earth at this time because the opportunities for spiritual advancement are great.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2014, 11:38 AM   #39
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,106
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post


...and you know this...how? What is your source for what the "spirit world" says?
My source is that I attended many trance lectures by several mediums at the spiritualist association in London for several years during the 1970's.

Two of the mediums I listened to at the spiritualist association were Ivy Northage and Ursula Roberts. I also went to White Eagle lodge and heard Grace Cook give trance lectures. I also attended an art class by Gladys Mayer, a student of Rudolph Steiner.

I believe all these people are now dead, but information about them all can be found on the Internet together with some of their teachings.

PS. Trance lectures are where a medium is purportedly taken in trance by a discarnate spirit who then speaks through the mediums mouth.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 26th April 2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: add ps.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2014, 11:57 AM   #40
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,106
Originally Posted by thenigotoffthebus View Post

Show me results from a few credible, properly controlled tests that demonstrate psychic ability exists and I'll change my mind on the matter. What will it take for you to change yours?
The spirit world do not want or intend to give absolute proof of their existence to the people of this world. Because that would defeat the very object of incarnation. Which is to choose our own path through the world and by doing so invoke karma that is designed to teach us to spiritually evolve. If we had absolute proof of the existence of the spirit world we might as well stay there and not incarnate at all. But in this world we are tried and tested by experience that leads us gradually up the path of evolution over many incarnations.

I am unlikely to change my mind about all this as finding it out was the work of years, and I have had much subjective evidence that we do survive death, in the form of many evidential messages from the spirit world given to me by mediums. But telling you of my experiences is just anecdotal, and although it gives me belief it proves nothing to you. You would have to spend years in a spiritualist church to get such evidence, and even then you might not. The spirit world do not give away their secrets to the idly curious, only to those that they think will use the knowledge in a positive way.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:49 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.