ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Allan Kardec , life after death , spiritism , spiritualism

Old 16th August 2019, 09:32 AM   #1
Ricardo

Questioning the existence or non-existence of spirits/Pseudo-skeptics

Is there anything more desperate than this thought of utter destruction? Holy affections, intelligence, progress, laboriously acquired knowledge, everything will be annihilated, everything will be lost! What is the need of the effort to become better, the repression to contain your passions, to be tired to adorn your Spirit, if you must not recollect it? no fruit, above all, with the thought that tomorrow maybe this will do us no good? If so, man's luck would be a hundred times worse than that of the animal, because the animal lives entirely in the present, in the satisfaction of its material appetites, without aspiration for the future. A secret intuition says this is not possible.
Ricardo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 09:49 AM   #2
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Why does an empty space worry you? What profound greatness have any of us achieved that our passing will leave the rest to be meaningless?

Live while you have life. Make the most of it. Worry about what comes when it's yours to deal with.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 09:58 AM   #3
Ricardo

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Why does an empty space worry you? What profound greatness have any of us achieved that our passing will leave the rest to be meaningless?

Live while you have life. Make the most of it. Worry about what comes when it's yours to deal with.
why do you think there is no life after death?
Ricardo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 10:06 AM   #4
Ricardo

Man's intelligence is a property of matter, born and dies with the organism. Man is nothing before and nothing after bodily life. Consequence - Man, being only matter, has only material enjoyment as real and desirable. Moral affections have no future. With death moral bonds are broken forever. The miseries of life are unrewarded, suicide becomes the rational and logical end of existence when one has no hope of alleviating suffering, when it is useless to impose one's self. obligation to overcome bad trends. Live for yourself while you are here; it is stupid to be bored and to sacrifice one's own rest, well-being, for the sake of another, that is, for beings who in turn will be annihilated and never to be seen again. Social duties, good and evil are agreed, the social brake is reduced to the material power of civil law.
Old 16th August 2019, 10:13 AM   #5
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Was the period of time before your conception upsetting or unpleasant for you? There's no reason to suppose the experience after death won't be exactly like that was.
Old 16th August 2019, 10:15 AM   #6
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
Questioning the existence or non-existence of spirits
The only way to resolve this one is to present evidence of their existence.

Quote:
Is there anything more desperate than this thought of utter destruction?
I don't know. What do you want to do about it? We all die at some point. If you don't believe in life after death, then that's it. That it depressed you changes nothing. I suppose you could start to believe to relieve this problem, but then you'd be living a lie.

Quote:
What is the need of the effort to become better, the repression to contain your passions, to be tired to adorn your Spirit, if you must not recollect it?
Things are worth more when they are finite.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Belz...
Fiend God

You keep asking the wrong questions. The answer is always the same: no evidence.

Quote:
Man's intelligence is a property of matter, born and dies with the organism. Man is nothing before and nothing after bodily life. Consequence - Man, being only matter, has only material enjoyment as real and desirable. Moral affections have no future. With death moral bonds are broken forever. The miseries of life are unrewarded, suicide becomes the rational and logical end of existence when one has no hope of alleviating suffering, when it is useless to impose one's self. obligation to overcome bad trends. Live for yourself while you are here; it is stupid to be bored and to sacrifice one's own rest, well-being, for the sake of another, that is, for beings who in turn will be annihilated and never to be seen again. Social duties, good and evil are agreed, the social brake is reduced to the material power of civil law.
Dude, find a hobby.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 10:21 AM   #8
Ricardo

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You keep asking the wrong questions. The answer is always the same: no evidence.

Dude, find a hobby.
Want to know my religion? I'm a spiritist ... and what is your ideology or religion? I have to know to debate with you! Another question do you know Spiritism?
Old 16th August 2019, 10:24 AM   #9
Joe Random
Master Poster

<...>

Dude, find a hobby.

I rather think he has ...
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 10:27 AM   #10
Ricardo

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Was the period of time before your conception upsetting or unpleasant for you? There's no reason to suppose the experience after death won't be exactly like that was.
Don't you understand what I wrote?
Old 16th August 2019, 10:27 AM   #11
Belz...
Fiend God

Want to know my religion?
No.

That has nothing to do with the post you responded to.

Quote:
Don't you understand what I wrote?
Irony!

Old 16th August 2019, 10:28 AM   #12
Ricardo

are you skeptical and atheist?

Last edited by Ricardo; 16th August 2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 16th August 2019, 10:29 AM   #13
8enotto
Graduate Poster

There is no source of information saying there is life after death. There is no common event or unquestioneable proof saying it is so.
Those who preach or otherwise seek this come up with no definitive or repeatable conclusion.

Thus it is a void, nothing to anticipate or fear. Just a void.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 10:29 AM   #14
Belz...
Fiend God

can't refute what i wrote! That's why you make these comments!
There's nothing to refute. You have made not a single claim and presented no evidence whatsoever. You're just wasting everyone's time which, I suppose, is the whole point.

Old 16th August 2019, 10:31 AM   #15
Pope130
Illuminator

Marcus Aurelius. He addressed this question some time ago:

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

That works for me.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 10:32 AM   #16
Ricardo

There's nothing to refute. You have made not a single claim and presented no evidence whatsoever. You're just wasting everyone's time which, I suppose, is the whole point.
answer my question ! do you know what spiritualism is? what's your ideology? you do not want to answer !
Old 16th August 2019, 10:33 AM   #17
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Want to know my religion? I'm a spiritist ... and what is your ideology or religion? I have to know to debate with you! Another question do you know Spiritism?
See my thread, Scorpions spiritualism. You will find I have offered evidential messages from the spirit world that I have received, but the skeptics on this forum find alternative explanations for them that deny the existence of spirits.
They say subjective experiences and anecdotes are not evidence.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=277159
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 10:35 AM   #18
8enotto
Graduate Poster

We need to add some substance to this. What is spiritism?

Last edited by 8enotto; 16th August 2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 16th August 2019, 10:35 AM   #19
Ricardo

There is no source of information saying there is life after death. There is no common event or unquestioneable proof saying it is so.
Those who preach or otherwise seek this come up with no definitive or repeatable conclusion.

Thus it is a void, nothing to anticipate or fear. Just a void.
are you sure ? do you know spiritualism? or Spiritist Doctrine? I can recommend you the books ... so it will be easier to discuss with you!
Old 16th August 2019, 10:36 AM   #20
Ricardo

are you sure ? do you know spiritualism? or Spiritist Doctrine? I can recommend you the books ... so it will be easier to discuss with you!
Old 16th August 2019, 10:38 AM   #21
Ricardo

BELZ .. answer me are you an atheist? are you skeptical? Are you agnostic? answer ! Why do not you answer ?
Old 16th August 2019, 10:40 AM   #22
Ricardo

We need to add some substance to this. What is spiritism?
and what is your religion or ideology?
Old 16th August 2019, 10:42 AM   #23
Ricardo

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
See my thread, Scorpions spiritualism. You will find I have offered evidential messages from the spirit world that I have received, but the skeptics on this forum find alternative explanations for them that deny the existence of spirits.
They say subjective experiences and anecdotes are not evidence.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=277159
they are not skeptics .... they are pseudo-skeptics! can't debate with pseudo-skeptics!
Old 16th August 2019, 10:47 AM   #24
Ricardo

These pseudo-skeptics don't even know about the Spiritist Doctrine ... the debate is over before it begins! Waste of time with pseudo-skeptics!
Old 16th August 2019, 10:48 AM   #25
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Marcus Aurelius. He addressed this question some time ago:

ôLive a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.ö

That works for me.
I find as time passes and I grow older the Stoic philosophy grows in appeal and seems to make more and more sense. I enjoy an unruffled serene existence currently, and sometimes marvel at the chaos and folly of those with more exciting lives.
Old 16th August 2019, 10:54 AM   #26
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

These pseudo-skeptics don't even know about the Spiritist Doctrine ... the debate is over before it begins! Waste of time with pseudo-skeptics!
I have explained some of spiritualist beliefs on a couple of threads here over the years. But its hard going. Most of my threads end up with people wanting me to excuse Hitler, or the killing of children. Or some other negative views.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 10:55 AM   #27
Ricardo

pseudo-skeptics or pathological skepticism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoskepticism
Old 16th August 2019, 10:56 AM   #28
Ricardo

I have explained some of spiritualist beliefs on a couple of threads here over the years. But its hard going. Most of my threads end up with people wanting me to excuse Hitler, or the killing of children. Or some other negative views.
they need to study about pseudo-skepticism! they don't even know what pseudo-skepticism is!
Old 16th August 2019, 11:04 AM   #29
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

they need to study about pseudo-skepticism! they don't even know what pseudo-skepticism is!
Before just writing off all the posters on the forum out of hand, why not spell out the details of what you actually believe, and see what they make of it?
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 16th August 2019, 11:10 AM   #30
Ricardo

Before just writing off all the posters on the forum out of hand, why not spell out the details of what you actually believe, and see what they make of it?
I want to debate skeptics ... not pseudo-skeptics! pseudo skeptics are worse than fanatical believers!
Old 16th August 2019, 11:18 AM   #31
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

I want to debate skeptics ... not pseudo-skeptics! pseudo skeptics are worse than fanatical believers!
Well, I for one would like to hear your views about spiritualism.

I have said spirits told me we reincarnate many times, and face karma before eventually reaching a state of grace or enlightenment, after which we continue on evolving in the spirit world as immortals.

I have said until we reach such a state of grace we reincarnate and spend time in the spirit world between incarnations, and during that time we assimilate the experiences of our recent lifetime.

Is this what you believe?
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 16th August 2019, 11:19 AM   #32
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad

On pages 26 and 27 of the thread Scorpion linked to, I raised several objections and important questions about the spiritualist reincarnation narrative as I understand it. I was disappointed that Scorpion didn't reply to most of them, though it's understandable as he was responding to many other members throughout the thread.

I'm interested in discussing it in depth, even to the point of reading books you recommended provided they provide deeper answers to specific questions we're already discussing. The key question I want to address (excerpted from that thread, with a few tweaks) is this:

Quote:
Any reincarnated successor "self" of mine... doesn't have my current memories of my current life. Doesn't have my learned knowledge or beliefs (those being types of memories). Doesn't have my specific genetic physical characteristics. Doesn't have my life history of interactions with the world. Doesn't share the follow-ons of that history (such as, people who know me, things I've written, property I used to own... all of which, if I had merely lost all my memories but were still living, would still be associated with me even if I didn't remember them myself).

So, in what way is that successor myself? The only thing we share is eventual future access to some hypothetical locked-away memory store that will be restored to "me" at some future time along my supposedly educational spiritual journey.

Aside from that, the reincarnation narrative tells me that I have far more in common with you than with any of my predecessor or reincarnated successor "selves." You and I share large amounts of culture, similar environments we've lived in and experiences we've lived through, and perhaps a common language in which we can actually converse. That's not true of my reincarnated selves. I can't talk to them, they can't talk to me; they live in my past and future, and most likely in far-away places with different ways of life. They're complete strangers.

Why would I be tempted to single out a few specific past and future lives, rather than the people I know around me today (or, perhaps, every conscious being), as additional "selves" of mine? What qualifies them for that distinction?
Old 16th August 2019, 11:22 AM   #33
Ricardo

Well, I for one would like to hear your views about spiritualism.

I have said spirits told me we reincarnate many times, and face karma before eventually reaching a state of grace or enlightenment, after which we continue on evolving in the spirit world as immortals.

I have said until we reach such a state of grace we reincarnate and spend time in the spirit world between incarnations, and during that time we assimilate the experiences of our recent lifetime.

Is this what you believe?
I believe in the Spiritist doctrine ... codified by Allan Kardec!
Old 16th August 2019, 11:22 AM   #34
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I watch a program on Mexican tv called Extranormal. It is a set group of investigation and interpretation specialists.

Polished presentation of nothing. Bugs on security camera lens and blurry video only a bigfeetz fan could love and of course testimony from hillbillies with a 3rd grade education. And then they go and investigate. They find tricks of light in glass, wind moving stuff and sounds happening off camera.

And the say pseudo Christian prayers and start fires un the floor to drive off the spirits or demons. They have a exspurt on both after all.

Those spirits? Dead gramma and the moth in the security camera?

Last edited by 8enotto; 16th August 2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 16th August 2019, 11:26 AM   #35
Ricardo

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
On pages 26 and 27 of the thread Scorpion linked to, I raised several objections and important questions about the spiritualist reincarnation narrative as I understand it. I was disappointed that Scorpion didn't reply to most of them, though it's understandable as he was responding to many other members throughout the thread.

I'm interested in discussing it in depth, even to the point of reading books you recommended provided they provide deeper answers to specific questions we're already discussing. The key question I want to address (excerpted from that thread, with a few tweaks) is this:
can i recommend books in english language you want? reading will answer these questions ok
Old 16th August 2019, 11:30 AM   #36
Ricardo

I watch a program on Mexican tv called Extranormal. It is a set group of investigation and interpretaction specialists.

Polished presentation of nothing. Bugs on security camera lens and blurry video only a bigfeetz fan could love and of course testimony from hillbillies with a 3rd grade education. And then they go and investigate. They find tricks of light in glass, wind moving stuff and sounds happening off camera.

And the say pseudo Christian prayers and start fires un the floor to drive off the spirits or demons. They have a exspurt on both after all.

Those spirits? Dead grammar and the moth in the security camera?
this is not spiritist doctrine .. do you want to know what spiritist doctrine really is ...? After studying you will have every right to accept or decline it .. but you will know what it really is! do you want me to send you the links of the books in english ... can i see if it has translation to mexican language? Are you a woman or a man?
Old 16th August 2019, 11:30 AM   #37
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

I believe in the Spiritist doctrine ... codified by Allan Kardec!
I have not studied Allan Kardec. I spent many years attending spiritualist churches, and I also attended many trance lectures at the spiritualist association in London during the 1970's. There I went to trance lectures by Ursula Roberts and Ivy Northage among others.
I also went to 'White Eagle lodge' and heard trance lectures by Grace Cook.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 16th August 2019, 11:33 AM   #38
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

can i recommend books in english language you want? reading will answer these questions ok
Nope. Not reading that utter crap again.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 11:38 AM   #39
Ricardo

I have not studied Allan Kardec. I spent many years attending spiritualist churches, and I also attended many trance lectures at the spiritualist association in London during the 1970's. There I went to trance lectures by Ursula Roberts and Ivy Northage among others.
I also went to 'White Eagle lodge' and heard trance lectures by Grace Cook.
Want Allan Kardec's book links?
Old 16th August 2019, 11:40 AM   #40
Ricardo

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Nope. Not reading that utter crap again.
you have want to read about pseudo-skepticism! you know Marcello Truzzi

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy