ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags yellow bamboo , mdc , challenge application , alvin donovan

Old 2nd February 2005, 12:24 PM   #1
KRAMER
Former challenge facilitator

YELLOW BAMBOO & "A.G. Donovan"

The Yellow Bamboo people finally submitted their claim to the test, resulting in a very sad (yet not entirely un-amusing) video of the proceedings. Wasted lives, indeed. I'm only glad that no one was seriously hurt during the test.

Here is the correspondence which preceded the test, beginning with this initial claim letter submitted by A.G. Donovan in 2003, on plain paper with no letterhead.

==============================================

You will choose a male person who will try to physically attack Mr. Nyoman Serengen, the founder of the YellowBamboo.com orghanization. All demonstrations will be held in Singaraja, Bali, Indonesia. Your attacker will sign a liability waiver prior to the demonstration releasing Mr. Serengen and the Yellow Bamboo organization from any civil or criminal liability in the event of your attacker's injury or death. Our local lawyer will draw up the correct documents. At any time your attacker is welcome to join Yellow Bamboo.

The person will begin the attack from approximately 20 meters away and run towards Mr. Serengen with the intention to cause him bodily harm. Mr. Serengen will knock down the attacker without physically touching him using only the energy of the Yellow Bamboo. If Mr. Serengen knocks down the attacker without physically touching him the demonstration will be deemed successful. If Mr. Serengen does not knock down the attacker the demonstration will be deemed a failure. All prize monies will be paid directly to Mr. Alvin G. Donovan III or whatever entity he desires.

=============================================

This application was followed the next day by a certified letter (on YELLOWBAMBOO.com letterhead, with a "cc" to the Managing Editor of the NY Times, Joe Lelyveld), as follows:

Mr. Randi,

Please find enclosed a notarized "Application for Status as Claimant" which we have taken from your website. Since you have already offered to conduct the tests in Bali, Indonesia, we accept your offer and are ready to commence as soon as possible. To refresh your memory I put here an excerpt from your email to me on Friday, January 10, 2003 offering to conduct the tests here in Bali

"Alternately, we have persons in Indonesia who are qualified to conduct tests, as we have informed you previosuly."

Also to refresh your memory you have offered to act as the attacker yourself I put here an excerpt from your website www.randi.org/jr/021403.html.

"They say they can 'knock down their attackers from 10 feet away or heal someone dying from something just using their own energy'...Sure. Can't think of an easier claim to test! Knock me down that way!"

Please sign and notarize each page. I enclose a self addressed stamped envelope for you to return the enclosed notarized applications. If you have any questions please email me at info@yellowbamboo.com

Kind Regards,
Alvin G. Donovan III, Yellow Bamboo Society

============================================

How pathetic. How utterly, fantastically pathetic.

Randi's reply the very same day this letter was received, as follows:

Mr. Donovan,

Your application for the JREF prize was received today. The protocol you describe is not acceptable. However, I am sure that we can come to an agreement in that respect.

I agree that the demonstrations (at least the preliminary tests) may take place in Indonesia. They would be conducted by persons appointed by this Foundation, who can be decided upon as soon as a proper and acceptable test protocol has been arrived at.

I will re-phrase your third sentence into an acceptable form:

"Your attacker will sign a liability waiver prior to the demonstration releasing Mr. Serengen and the Yellow Bamboo Organisation from any civil or criminal liability in the event of your attackers' injury or death that results from any means other than the claimed power employed by Mr. Serengen, excluding any other recognized force or agency."

The re-phrasing above must be accepted by you.

Also..."The person will beguin the attack from approximately 20 meters away and run towards Mr. Serengen with the intention to cause him bodily harm."

This is not amenable to proof, in that there is no way that the INTENTION(S) of an attacker can be determined. I suggest, unless the "intention" is an integral and required aspect of this demonstration, that the sentence can be re-phrased as, "The person will begin the attack from approximately 20 feet away and run towards Mr. Serengen, attempting to strike him with a bamboo stick."

I also wish to change your sentence: "If Mr. Serengen does not knock down the attacker the demonstration will be deemed a failure", to, "If Mr. Serengen does not knock down the attacker or if the attacker is able to strike Mr. Serengen with the bamboo stick, the demonstration will be deemed a failure."

Re my offer to be the person knocked down, I am far too busy to travel all the way to Indonesia for that purpose. However, I can certainly find someone there who can serve as the "attacker". This will of course await the finalization of a protocol agreement.

Concerning your last sentence of your application, it is clearly stated in the application form that we have no interest nor input concerning the use of the prize money. However, I suggest that it would seem wiser for you to wait until you have at least passed the preliminary phase before beginning to anticipate how your prize money will be used.

I await your response with great interest.

I add here that I have received a number of postings saying that the JREF has refused to respond to your application. You will inform those persons that the information in that regard is untrue. I will also remind you that at this office we receive many applications for the JREF prize. Yours is not the only one we are handling, and it is certainly not one of the priority items on our agenda; we have addressed several of this sort of claim over the years, and none of them have ever reached the testing stage. Judging from the tone of your application, I believe that yours will fall into this category.

Prove me wrong.

-James Randi, President JREF

==============================================
This is where we stopped receiving letters from A.G. Donovan.
Soon we began to receive correspondence from Australian Skeptics stating that they had picked up the ball on this one.

The test was conducted last week. The results are as one might expect from such a claim; they failed.

To complete our files, I am attempting to contact the applicant in order to give him the opportunity to offer his explanation as to WHY his Yellow Bamboo failed the test. I expect no reply, but if I do receive one, I predict that it will be full of the usual lame excuses...

1- The attacker wasn't really attacking with the right attitude...
2- The attacker secretly practices Yellow Bamboo so the test was a sham...
3- The JREF prize sent negative influences over the entire procedure...

We'll wait and see. I think we'll get only silence.
Old 9th February 2005, 12:56 PM   #2
KRAMER
Former challenge facilitator

MORE TEST VIDEO

Follow this link to see some new added footage of the Yellow Bamboo test.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ftrust

edited to fix link -- Raja

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications