IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th January 2022, 02:43 AM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Heart transplant not for muslins

Mod WarningNew thread created to discuss the science of the news. Religious thread moved to R&P.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat
This is great! A pig's heart has been transplanted into a man in Baltimore.

Still working after three days. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59944889

Jews and muslins need not apply, and greenmunists will avoid it because the pig had been genetically modified.

Last edited by Darat; 12th January 2022 at 04:36 AM.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 02:55 AM   #2
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

So it's not for plain-woven cotton fabrics?
Old 11th January 2022, 08:54 AM   #3
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think a religious base is necessary for not wanting one of those. I opted for a mechanical valve myself. Noisy, but eliminates the "ick" factor.
Old 11th January 2022, 11:06 AM   #4
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Ever watch Mythbusters? Pigs have been used as human analogs in all sorts of tests for years, because they're about the same size and readily available.
And unlike humans, there's no problem about the whole "live donor" business that only China has managed to get around so far.

But I'm sure PETA will have a cry about it.

It'll be the greatest advancement in cardiac medicine since Christian Barnard if it works.
Old 11th January 2022, 08:02 PM   #5
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
So it's not for plain-woven cotton fabrics?
You've noticed The Atheist's habitual slur for followers of the Prophet.
Old 11th January 2022, 08:05 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Kind of depressing how a real scientific achievement becomes a mere vehicle for bigotry, and so called rational thinkers play along.
Old 11th January 2022, 08:22 PM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Kind of depressing how a real scientific achievement becomes a mere vehicle for bigotry, and so called rational thinkers play along.
Yeah. The Atheist has been doing that for a long time. I think it's just habit now.
Old 12th January 2022, 01:40 AM   #8
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Kudos to that cop who donated it.
Bigotry and hatred is alive and well in many people on this forum.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 03:06 AM   #9
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yeah. The Atheist has been doing that for a long time. I think it's just habit now.
No, it's deliberate. I don't even believe it's bigotry to detest misogynist filth who use their pedophile prophet as a means of justifying the atrocities they perpetrate on women.

When they start treating women as people, I'll gladly stop abusing them.

Religion of peace my arse.
Old 12th January 2022, 07:48 AM   #10
carlitos
"más divertido"

muslims need not apply

I'm thinking that The Atheist didn't look too closely into this project.
“This is the culmination of years of highly complicated research to hone this technique in animals with survival times that have reached beyond nine months,” explains Muhammad Mohiuddin, from the Cardiac Xenotransplantation Program at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. “The FDA used our data and data on the experimental pig to authorize the transplant in an end-stage heart disease patient who had no other treatment options. The successful procedure provided valuable information to help the medical community improve this potentially life-saving method in future patients.”
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 11:02 AM   #11
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I'm thinking...
I disagree - you don't appear to be thinking at all. You've assumed that because someone has a Pakistani name that they are muslin.

Being muslin isn't like being Jewish.
Old 12th January 2022, 11:17 AM   #12
carlitos
"más divertido"

Sometimes, committing to a comedy bit is helpful to the delivery. The "muslin" thing isn't working; you can see right through it.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 11:47 AM   #13
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Mod WarningNew thread created to discuss the science of the news. Religious thread moved to R&P.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat
This is great! A pig's heart has been transplanted into a man in Baltimore.

Still working after three days. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59944889

Jews and muslins need not apply, and greenmunists will avoid it because the pig had been genetically modified.
Oh look, Muslims are hailing the breakthrough...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 11:50 AM   #14
catsmate
No longer the 1

I disagree - you don't appear to be thinking at all. You've assumed that because someone has a Pakistani name that they are muslin.

Being muslin isn't like being Jewish.
And yet Dr. Mohiuddin is a practising Muslim......
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 03:09 PM   #15
porch
Muse

I'm curious now. When insulin was harvested from pigs, was it refused by Kosher/Halal people in any significant numbers?
porch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 03:43 PM   #16
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
And yet Dr. Mohiuddin is a practising Muslim.
And while he's overcome his prophet's rules, I'm going to lay any odds the enormous majority of islamic leaders will dispute it, or more likely, call him a blasphemer or apostate.
Old 12th January 2022, 03:44 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And while he's overcome his prophet's rules, I'm going to lay any odds the enormous majority of islamic leaders will dispute it, or more likely, call him a blasphemer or apostate.
And yet somehow their anti-pig heart reaction will still be more reasonable and justified than your anti-muslim posturing.
Old 12th January 2022, 03:48 PM   #18
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

And I'll win that bet, easy.

Quote:
It’s highly unlikely that the wider Muslim community will eagerly accept the use of pig organs for human transplant, even if someone’s life is at stake.

Last month, just days after New York University surgeons announced their kidney experiment, scholars at the famed Al-Azhar University condemned it, arguing the use of pig organs is prohibited.
https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/ar...nsplants-51344

Dr Mohiuddin himself says:

“Being a Muslim, we might have a problem with pig. But for the rest of the world, it’s already consumed as food.”
Old 12th January 2022, 03:57 PM   #19
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

And yet somehow their anti-pig heart reaction will still be more reasonable and justified than your anti-muslim posturing.
Bollocks.

Why is anti-muslin sentiment unreasonable?

Turkey used to be hailed as the example of "moderate" islamic culture. Erdogan soon kicked that to touch.

They are bigots who persecute gays, women and any fringe of society that doesn't conform to idiotic rules written down by a pedophile 1400 years ago.

Let's have a look at some islamic-ruled countries, shall we?

The top ten countries by percentage OF mulsins are:

Maldives - 100%)
Mauritania - 99.9%
Somalia - 99.8% (tie)
Tunisia - 99.8% (tie)
Afghanistan - 99.7% (tie)
Algeria - 99.7% (tie)
Iran - 99.4%
Yemen - 99.2%
Morocco - 99%
Niger - 98.3%

Go visit one and tell them you're a poofter, have beer in your room, and that your sister's going to wear a Brazillian bikini to the beach. If they let you out of jail alive, get back to me.

Gotta say it's the first time you've surprised me, or maybe you're trying to ingratiate yourself with someone. Support for muslins has always been from the left as I've seen it, and the other who don't like it are hard left. I rarely see a capital C conservatives crying about muslins being abused.
Old 12th January 2022, 03:59 PM   #20
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'm not even going to mention the most-revolting things of all - female genital mutilation and dishonour killings.

I know neither is exclusively muslin nor prescribed by the majority of the religion, but the vast number of both are done in the name of the mythical Allah-fairy.
Old 12th January 2022, 04:22 PM   #21
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Can you pick the time you became a raving reactionary or was this a gradual thing?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 04:27 PM   #22
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by porch View Post
I'm curious now. When insulin was harvested from pigs, was it refused by Kosher/Halal people in any significant numbers?
Varies. Generally Jews accepted it as they think it's only forbidden to eat pork. Some, maybe most, Muslims rejected it but cow sourced alternative was available. And Hindus rejected the cow extract.

Most major religious authorities go with an "if no alternative" exception, though.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 12th January 2022 at 04:32 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 04:30 PM   #23
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Curious how certain bigotries are acceptable here. Nothing hypocritical about that eh?
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 04:39 PM   #24
Olmstead
Muse

Bollocks.

Why is anti-muslin sentiment unreasonable?

Turkey used to be hailed as the example of "moderate" islamic culture. Erdogan soon kicked that to touch.

They are bigots who persecute gays, women and any fringe of society that doesn't conform to idiotic rules written down by a pedophile 1400 years ago.

Let's have a look at some islamic-ruled countries, shall we?

The top ten countries by percentage OF mulsins are:

Maldives - 100%)
Mauritania - 99.9%
Somalia - 99.8% (tie)
Tunisia - 99.8% (tie)
Afghanistan - 99.7% (tie)
Algeria - 99.7% (tie)
Iran - 99.4%
Yemen - 99.2%
Morocco - 99%
Niger - 98.3%

Go visit one and tell them you're a poofter, have beer in your room, and that your sister's going to wear a Brazillian bikini to the beach. If they let you out of jail alive, get back to me.

Gotta say it's the first time you've surprised me, or maybe you're trying to ingratiate yourself with someone. Support for muslins has always been from the left as I've seen it, and the other who don't like it are hard left. I rarely see a capital C conservatives crying about muslins being abused.
It's probably more pertinent what muslims living in the US, EU, etc. think about those issues (I don't actually know, maybe they're just as bad). Afghanistan was always going to end up messed up under any religion.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 04:55 PM   #25
carlitos
"más divertido"

I get around a little bit, and I've never, ever seen anyone anywhere use the term "muslin" like this. It's intentional, right? Or a private joke, or voice-to-text?
Old 12th January 2022, 05:09 PM   #26
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

No such thing as a prophet, capitalized or otherwise.
Old 12th January 2022, 05:11 PM   #27
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Curious how certain bigotries are acceptable here. Nothing hypocritical about that eh?
Notice how several of us are calling him out on it.
Old 12th January 2022, 05:15 PM   #28
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I get around a little bit, and I've never, ever seen anyone anywhere use the term "muslin" like this. It's intentional, right? Or a private joke, or voice-to-text?
It's absolutely intentional, but it doesn't make a great deal of sense. It'd be like me calling you "parlitos". It has no real meaning other than corruption of the original. Being meaningless I guess it's less offensive than some names he could use, but given The Atheist's stated attitude towards Islam, as a slur it's pretty mild.
Old 12th January 2022, 11:06 PM   #29
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
I struggle with this. You cannot choose the religion of the parents you were born to, any more than you can choose your skin colour or sexual orientation, but you can choose to follow a different, or even no, religion. But it's not easy, especially if you were indoctrinated from childhood and are immersed in a society where alternative beliefs are rarely encountered.

Holding people responsible for their freely made choices is not bigotry. The question is: is following the religion into which you were born a freely made choice?
Old 13th January 2022, 02:55 AM   #30
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Can you pick the time you became a raving reactionary or was this a gradual thing?
Gradual. The more I saw, the more I hated what I was seeing.

It's from Porridge, a 1970s British sitcom.

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Holding people responsible for their freely made choices is not bigotry. The question is: is following the religion into which you were born a freely made choice?
Of course it is!

Plenty of people leave their religion. The muslin women in every western country must be sickened when they see ordinary women able to act as they wish, while their man decides what they can wear, who they can talk to, and even what job they can do. I'm a bad person to take to parks in West Auckland in the heat of summer, because I'll go up to women and tell them they don't need to wear a burka and are only doing so because their goat-******* husband has them under his control.

They are abusive, manipulative filth and it's no coincidence that they last half dozen slavery cases in the country have all been muslin employers forcing people to work for no money.

The guys keep the religion to keep control.

We had an incident at our refugee camp a couple of years ago where Iraqis and Iranians declared war on each other in this country, all because one sect believes the other are apostates.

We let these useless pieces of filth come and live here because they're in danger at home, and what do they do? They bring their vile hatred with them. They can **** off and die as far as I'm concerned.

I note that of all the people crying about the "bigotry" nobody has tried to defend their sickening culture.

I see being anti-muslin being about as bigoted as anti-covid.
Old 13th January 2022, 04:29 AM   #31
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'm not even going to mention the most-revolting things of all - female genital mutilation and dishonour killings.

I know neither is exclusively muslin nor prescribed by the majority of the religion, but the vast number of both are done in the name of the mythical Allah-fairy.
I would be surprised if that is the case. Have you any evidence?
Old 13th January 2022, 04:45 AM   #32
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I would be surprised if that is the case. Have you any evidence?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...tal_mutilation

"FGM is practised predominantly within certain Muslim societies,[9] but it also exists within some adjacent Christian and animist groups.[10] The practice isn't required by most forms of Islam, and fatwas have been issued forbidding FGM,[11] favouring it,[12] or leaving the decision to parents but advising against it."
Old 13th January 2022, 06:43 AM   #33
catsmate
No longer the 1

Old 13th January 2022, 06:45 AM   #34
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
And bigot.
Old 13th January 2022, 07:03 AM   #35
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...tal_mutilation

"FGM is practised predominantly within certain Muslim societies,[9] but it also exists within some adjacent Christian and animist groups.[10] The practice isn't required by most forms of Islam, and fatwas have been issued forbidding FGM,[11] favouring it,[12] or leaving the decision to parents but advising against it."
In regards to FGM that's what I thought and that was why I was asking for the evidence for the "..but the vast number of both are done in the name of the mythical Allah-fairy..". It's a cultural phenomenon not a religious one.
Old 13th January 2022, 08:57 AM   #36
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

In regards to FGM that's what I thought and that was why I was asking for the evidence for the "..but the vast number of both are done in the name of the mythical Allah-fairy..". It's a cultural phenomenon not a religious one.
The difference is just semantics really.
Old 13th January 2022, 09:02 AM   #37
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Take 2 minutes and look up the actual Islamic verses regarding pork. They don't work the way you think they do.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 09:54 AM   #38
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Take 2 minutes and look up the actual Islamic verses regarding pork. They don't work the way you think they do.
You shouldn't let facts get in the way of a good Two Minutes Hate.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:18 AM   #39
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The difference is just semantics really.
Don't think it is, it's key to understanding why FGM persists. This is not coming from the religions, which is why it happens in countries that aren't identified as being Islamic but as Christian and so on. In regards to the causes of FGM thinking it is an Islamic issue is mistaking correlation for causation.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:36 AM   #40
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
What they say is irrelevant, like idiot fundy christians, muslins believe what their imams tell them to believe. I showed you were even the Dr Mohiuddin recognises the issue, so a white bloke on the internet should be able to figure that out.

Don't think it is, it's key to understanding why FGM persists. This is not coming from the religions, which is why it happens in countries that aren't identified as being Islamic but as Christian and so on. In regards to the causes of FGM thinking it is an Islamic issue is mistaking correlation for causation.

Ah, they just happen to be muslins. Just like the filth who kill their daughters for kissing a boy daddy hasn't sold her to.

I notice nobody's offered any answer to my post about visiting an islamic country and having a beer while gay.

Should be easy to defend, surely?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy