IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags demography , evolution , reincarnation

Old 5th September 2007, 06:16 AM   #1
wogoga
Critical Thinker

Demography of Japan - Evidence of Reincarnation

Japan was for a long period a "closed country" and Japanese society is still today quite homogeneous. Therefore Japan is an ideal country to test 'demographic saturation', which is a logical consequence of reincarnation according to the psychon theory (a pandualist evolution theory). The proportion of migration, the most important factor confounding the predictions of 'demographic saturation', has always been very low in Japan.

Population of Japan in million and percentage of 2005-population according to ipss.go.jp/p-info/e/PSJ2006.pdf:

1930 64.5 50.4% | 1965 _98.3 76.9% | 2000 126.9 _99.3%
1935 69.3 54.2% | 1970 103.7 81.2% |
1940 71.9 56.3% | 1975 111.9 87.6% | 2001 127.3 _99.7%
1945 72.1 56.5% | 1980 117.1 91.6% | 2002 127.5 _99.8%
1950 83.2 65.1% | 1985 121.0 94.7% | 2003 127.7 _99.9%
1955 89.3 69.9% | 1990 123.6 96.8% | 2004 127.8 100.0%
1960 93.4 73.1% | 1995 125.6 98.3% | 2005 127.8 100.0%

Standard demography has been predicting for Japan in the same way as for European low-fertility countries a population decline. But in the same way as in Europe, the facts in Japan agree much better with 'demographic saturation' and therefore with reincarnation than with standard demography, which, originally based on Malthusianism, has become a wild conglomeration of ad-hoc hypotheses.

According to stat.go.jp/english/data/jinsui/tsuki/zuhyou/15k2-1.xls the population of August 1, 2007 is estimated to be again 127.8. So Japan elegantly shows that in saturated populations where (almost) all souls are incarnated at the same time, for every new child somebody must die, because children are not machine-like zombies but beings animated by human souls having evolved over billions of years.

Cheers, Wolfgang

"Increasing demographic saturation leads directly to lower fecundability. At least under not too exceptional circumstances, this lower fecundability entails lower fertility, irrespective of other causes (e.g. at the individual choice-decision level), and actual fertility of a fully saturated population cannot significantly exceed direct-replacement fertility. Thus infertility of some couples is an unavoidable outcome, if more children are desired than direct-replacement fertility allows. A substantial number of couples does not seek infertility treatment, despite wishing for years for a first or a further child." members.lol.li/twostone/demography/critical_analysis.html
wogoga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 06:26 AM   #2
l0rca
I know so much karate

Accounting for cultural practices involving sex and child rearing, I wager that if someone presented a global percentage-rise from the 1930-onward, we would see a very similar rise in the amount of people present in society.

Failing that, how can you justify Japan as a closed-system for humanity to test this hypothesis any better than you can use the entire biosphere as a clsoed system? We're not exactly being impregnated by alien DNA, eh?
l0rca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 06:44 AM   #3
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

All I can say is 'Huh'? Demographics is evidence for reincarnation how? Shouldn't this be in religion?
Old 5th September 2007, 07:09 AM   #4
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Japanese only reincarnated as Japanese?

Why would you only be reincarnated within your own country?

That's what I love about these crackpot ideas: They raise far more questions than they answer....
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 07:43 AM   #5
blobru
Philosopher

So psychons have "nationality"!? Ok, then they must have gender too, which is a far less accidental property, right? Yet while Japan's total population has remained fairly constant recently, the census shows the sex ratio males to females declining sharply (from 95.8 per 100 in 2000 to 94.9 [proj.] in 2007). Therefore, the psychons can change sex between death and rebirth, but must keep the same nationality? (i.e., lop off their weiner, but no new passport!) Wolfgang 馬鹿 des.

And how do Nippon's recycled psychons get delivered to the womonan in the first place -- by storkon? And then how do they even... aww, screw it.

"Never mind. I can't read." -- Hokulele to the Easter Bunny
blobru is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 07:58 AM   #6
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Two completely wrong assumptions behind this notion (well--3, if you count reincarnation in general).

First, the one CFLarsen mentioned. Second, that there are no other (much more parsimonious) reasons why fecundity would diminish.
Old 5th September 2007, 08:02 AM   #7
Scazon
Thinker

Let's try a few estimates.... say humans have been around for a conservative 100000 years. Say the average life expectancy over that period has been 50 years (very generous). Say the average human population has been 10 million. That gives us about 20 billion humans that there ever have been. So only about 1 in 3 are currently incarnated. May the rest in peace.

But even creationists don't deny that the human population has increased, so there must be a source of new psychons somewhere.

Most religions believe that you can get reincarnated as a better human, a priest even, if you're good, but if you're bad, you might get reincarnated as a dog, a rat, a worm - even perhaps as a Belgian. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to estimate the number of all animals that have existed, but I doubt if we're going to run out of psychons any day yet.
Scazon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 08:07 AM   #8
axon
Student

I am constantly amazed at the levels of stupidity the human brain can achieve. Is there any more to this idea other than "population growth is slowing in Japan, therefore reincarnation is true"?
axon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Zep
Banned

Japan was NEVER a closed society. Just that for a period of a few hundred years out of some thousands, it did not interact particularly heavily with Western culture, and did take on Western cultural influences. In all other respects, it was remarkably open.

So...

Wrong! right from the opening sentence and premise.
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 08:50 AM   #10
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Actually, this is not evidence at all.

At best, you could say this is not inconsistent with reincarnation. However, it's alos not inconsistent with conventional explanations based on population growth and crowding. Not to mention that conventional explanations predict this type of effect, and have for quite some time.

So this can't be evidence for reincarnation, as it also supports conventional theories of population dynamics. At best, you can say this doesn't rule out reincarnation.

So, do you have any evidence?
Old 5th September 2007, 09:30 AM   #11
thull
Scholar

'demographic saturation',
So if a population isn't growing reincarnation then kicks in 'full force'?
before that point either new "spirits" are being created/born or bidding their time in a limbo?

For other examples of demographic saturation, you don't even need to invoke Europeans countries (very easy example of many places where population has been slow moving at best), Right in the US many states haven't grown internally much, but still have grown through immigration. I'm pretty sure this trend is still taught in High School Sociology.

The one thing i am actually curious on: Is reincarnation only limited from a dead human to a human baby? Does the belief extend towards dead animal/reptile/etc to human baby (or dead human to baby animal/reptile/etc)?
thull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 09:34 AM   #12
Miss Anthrope
Illuminator

Mod Warning Moved to General Skepticism and the Paranormal
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:Miss Anthrope
Miss Anthrope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 09:35 AM   #13
Miss Anthrope
Illuminator

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post

That's what I love about these crackpot ideas: They raise far more questions than they answer....
Thank you.
Miss Anthrope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 10:04 AM   #14
Deetee
Illuminator

The calculations would have to include the Universe's entire biomass from year dot.
(In my most recent incarnation I was a free-living sonorchis virus in the galean forests on Zenox 14 in the Andromeda galaxy)
"Homeopathy: I never knew there was so little in it." - BSM
Deetee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 10:08 AM   #15
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Deetee View Post
The calculations would have to include the Universe's entire biomass from year dot.
(In my most recent incarnation I was a free-living sonorchis virus in the galean forests on Zenox 14 in the Andromeda galaxy)
Dude!

Small universe! I was the six-limbed Snarkwabblit you infected! I died of sonorchitis!
Old 5th September 2007, 10:12 AM   #16
ImaginalDisc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Dude!

Small universe! I was the six-limbed Snarkwabblit you infected! I died of sonorchitis!
Technically, I ate you before you died. Hircanian snake-bats aren't picky.
ImaginalDisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 02:18 PM   #17
schlitt
Graduate Poster

Spot on
schlitt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 02:36 PM   #18
The Pig
Thinker

If the country of a man's birth is taken over by another country, will he be re-incarnated within the borders of the old country, or the new country? What if a country merely changes its name, where does that leave him?

We should be told.
The Pig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 03:25 PM   #19
-Fran-
Master Poster

He explains his theory more "in depth" here:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=90266

And no, it won't make more sense after you have read his other thread, but it does show the width of his... uh... crackpottiness in a rather amusing way
Old 5th September 2007, 03:32 PM   #20
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

This is why I love this place. Just when you think you've seen the Ultimate Woo (TM pending), along comes the Super Ultimate Woo (TM applied for).

Keep it coming woos!
When it's this good, who needs TV?

Last edited by Gord_in_Toronto; 5th September 2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Add more shocks! :shocked:
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 04:34 PM   #21
Zep
Banned

I have this theory about the amount of woo in the universe trying to spread itself out evenly all the time. Since JREF is a woo-sink in the universe, perhaps that's why it seems to attract all the nutters!

Prove me wrong!
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 05:16 PM   #22
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

What about me? I am half Japanese, what race is my "soul"? How would it reincarnate? How did it know how to find me?
Old 5th September 2007, 07:41 PM   #23
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
What about me? I am half Japanese, what race is my "soul"? How would it reincarnate? How did it know how to find me?
Well, you'll just have to figure out whether you have a left soul or right soul.

I figure I'm 1/4 English, 1/4 Dutch and 1/2 Welsh. My soul must be terribly fractured. Do you think there is a great big database in Heaven that keeps track of all this stuff?

Woo. Woo. All aboard the Soul Train. Woooo. Woooooo.
Old 5th September 2007, 08:24 PM   #24
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

A buddhist monk once told me that he accounted for the rise in the world's human population and fall in its wildlife population by theorizing that humans were being reincarnated from extinct animals and further postulated that this also accounted for the greater savagery of modern society.

Then he said he was just kidding.
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 08:43 PM   #25
insidespace
Scholar

The psychons come at ya when the ovum is fertilized, or sometime after. If at fertilization, do they (it?) increase its weight?
insidespace is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 08:46 PM   #26
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Originally Posted by insidespace View Post
The psychons come at ya when the ovum is fertilized, or sometime after. If at fertilization, do they (it?) increase its weight?

So for identical twins, each only gets half a psychon?
Old 5th September 2007, 08:57 PM   #27
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I seem to have misplaced my psychon, has anyone here seen it?
Old 5th September 2007, 08:59 PM   #28
Cheeley
New Blood

Maybe. Maybe it makes them harder to steal

if you have a dog, you know he (she?) can make him (her?) self heavier when she does not want to be picked up.

Evolution (which I believe in, although it does not have all the answers, ref: the eyeball) has provided the dog with this ability, probably when we lived in caves and someone could steal our dogs, which we needed
Cheeley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2007, 09:50 PM   #29
Biscuit
Philosopher

Have you ever held a pregnant lady on a scale at the moment of fertilization? - she gets heavier in order to make her harder to steal from caves.
Biscuit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2007, 12:00 AM   #30
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Well, you'll just have to figure out whether you have a left soul or right soul.

I figure I'm 1/4 English, 1/4 Dutch and 1/2 Welsh. My soul must be terribly fractured. Do you think there is a great big database in Heaven that keeps track of all this stuff?

Woo. Woo. All aboard the Soul Train. Woooo. Woooooo.

My daughter has grandparents from four different countries and was born in a fifth. Where should I be looking to trace her soul?
Old 6th September 2007, 01:08 AM   #31
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I seem to have misplaced my psychon, has anyone here seen it?
I blame the psychon killer, qu'est-ce que c'est?

You may think that was a bad joke, compared to all the others I could think of it was fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-far far better.
Old 6th September 2007, 02:27 AM   #32
Deetee
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Have you ever held a pregnant lady on a scale at the moment of fertilization? - she gets heavier in order to make her harder to steal from caves.
I've heard of people doing it in the kitchen, but not usually while balancing on a weighing scale....
"Homeopathy: I never knew there was so little in it." - BSM
Deetee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2007, 03:00 AM   #33
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by Deetee View Post
I've heard of people doing it in the kitchen, but not usually while balancing on a weighing scale....

You need the sexual conservatism thread over in Community...
Old 6th September 2007, 03:10 AM   #34
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Mashuna View Post
I blame the psychon killer, qu'est-ce que c'est?

You may think that was a bad joke, compared to all the others I could think of it was fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-far far better.
I thought you 'd stop making sense.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2007, 03:50 AM   #35
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
I thought you 'd stop making sense.
Look, the thread's on a road to nowhere, I just thought I'd join in.

And feed that poor duck.
Old 6th September 2007, 03:53 AM   #36
Lothian
should be banned

Look, the thread's on a road to nowhere, I just thought I'd join in.

And feed that poor duck.
Yes, the thread is about to crash and byrne. What duck ?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2007, 04:07 AM   #37
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

Yes, the thread is about to crash and byrne. What duck ?
As long as it doesn't end up burning down the house, I'm ok with it.

I'm sorry, I thought I saw a duck on your head. Please excuse my rudeness.
Old 6th September 2007, 04:17 AM   #38
Lothian
should be banned

As long as it doesn't end up burning down the house, I'm ok with it.
Yes, you don't want to lose your house more than once in a lifetime.
Quote:
I'm sorry, I thought I saw a duck on your head. Please excuse my rudeness.
Ummm, Brodski has the same delusions, I think you need to see a doctor not a quack.

Last edited by Lothian; 6th September 2007 at 04:19 AM.
Old 6th September 2007, 04:38 AM   #39
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Yes, you don't want to lose your house more than once in a lifetime.
Ummm, Brodski has the same delusions, I think you need to see a doctor not a quack.
Same as it ever was.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2007, 09:11 AM   #40
ingoa
Surfing on the relativistic brain wave

127,433,494 (July 2007 est.)
from the CIA factbook.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/ja.html

It appears that Japans population is declining?

Reincarnation is broken?!

I have no prejudices. I hate everbody!
ingoa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal