IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th April 2007, 08:01 AM   #1
The Doc
Curing Stupidity

Australians For 9/11 Truth

A new truther group has emerged.

http://www.911oz.com

Australians for truth gather outside Sydney town hall on the 11th of every month and protest. They seem like nice guys, but don't appear to be very well informed about the facts.

We've got some guys and gals from Australia here don't we? Any from Sydney? Get down there
The Doc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2007, 08:30 AM   #2
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Heheh, not very well-informed indeed. "Lorie Auken"? It's Lorie Van Auken.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2007, 10:58 AM   #3
MG1962

Sigh.... I suppose it had to happen. I wonder if they will admit the real reason for gathering at the Town Hall is to meet girls.

Interesting choice, given there is an Amercian consolate 3 blocks east of that location
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

Australians for truth gather outside Sydney town hall on the 11th of every month and protest. They seem like nice guys, but don't appear to be very well informed about the facts.

We've got some guys and gals from Australia here don't we? Any from Sydney? Get down there
Hmm sounds interesting. I might check it out.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2007, 01:31 PM   #5
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

See - we have morons, too.

Drat. I'm in Melbourne. I could probably make it down to Sydney at some point for a one-off debunking session. I might set my sights on September.

It's interesting they choose the 11th of each month. I understand the obvious reason, but out of the 12 months this year, the 11th is on a weekday 8 times. Don't these people have jobs?

Wait... that's probably a stupid question.

Shameless plug for my website:
Digging Apollo - Excavating the digital archaeology of the Apollo program.
qarnos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2007, 01:32 PM   #6
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

There is quite a high contingent of Aussies here...

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2007, 01:35 PM   #7
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
Sigh.... I suppose it had to happen. I wonder if they will admit the real reason for gathering at the Town Hall is to meet girls.
I knew a guy once who thought he could impress a girl by showing her how much he knew about Star Trek. This sounds like the same kind of approach.

Quote:
Interesting choice, given there is an Amercian consolate 3 blocks east of that location
I wonder what they are trying to achieve, anyway? It's not like Sydney Town Hall holds much sway in international affairs.

qarnos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2007, 01:36 PM   #8
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

I just tries accessing their site.

Quote:
Internal Server Error
OMG!!!1!! The CIA got to them already.

Old 12th April 2007, 01:41 PM   #9
MG1962

Quote:
I wonder what they are trying to achieve, anyway? It's not like Sydney Town Hall holds much sway in international affairs.
Aside from the Italian Pasta served at the canteen........... No lol
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2007, 02:07 PM   #10
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Will this infection of "truth" never end?
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2007, 02:29 PM   #11
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

Just reading some of the comments on the 911oz site which, after my revealing the CIAs involvment, is now back up (duh-duh-duuuuhh!!).

Apparently they had a whole 4 people at their first "rally".

Originally Posted by Texas Bob
I'll bring the tin foil hats!

Nice turn out BTW. Four.
There'll be some car-door slamming in the streets Syndey now, for sure.

Old 12th April 2007, 04:11 PM   #12
Mobyseven
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
I can say from experience that there are far better and easier ways to meet girls in Sydney (that might actually work, too). Just stay out of Kings Cross.

Like many people here, I'm a Melbournite but I plan to be up in Sydney about mid-year. If the madness is still around then, anybody up for a debunking session?
Mobyseven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2007, 04:38 PM   #13
hellaeon
Graduate Poster

Ill come for a trip to watch the crows boys smash sydney, but I dont think its till later in the year. I dont know if I can debunk as effectively as some but I am sure I dont know that unless I really try.

There are some tin foilers around the place in Adelaide. Most in the drugs community.
hellaeon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2007, 05:34 PM   #14
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

Originally Posted by Mobyseven View Post
I can say from experience that there are far better and easier ways to meet girls in Sydney (that might actually work, too). Just stay out of Kings Cross.

Like many people here, I'm a Melbournite but I plan to be up in Sydney about mid-year. If the madness is still around then, anybody up for a debunking session?
I reckon the skeptics would outnumber the troofers.

Old 12th April 2007, 07:40 PM   #15
MG1962

Quote:
There are some tin foilers around the place in Adelaide. Most in the drugs community
I only have one word for you...you...you crow eater.......you

Maralinga
Old 12th April 2007, 08:29 PM   #16
Obviousman
Muse

I'm a couple of hours south of Sydney, but go up there for the odd occasion.

I'll have a look at the website. Should be fun!

Little White Lies.......
Obviousman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2007, 09:41 PM   #17
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by qarnos View Post
I reckon the skeptics would outnumber the troofers.
That's lucky. I'm a long way from Sydney and don't have any excuse to go there. Somehow I don't think trying to coax 4 nutters down from a delusional bandwagon would cut it with my family.

However, if there's ever plans for a Melbourne meet-up of JREFers, I'd definitely try to be there.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2007, 11:46 PM   #18
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

You said Sydney? That explains it.

I do see the odd, in both senses of the word, Larouchies around here too. They always seem to be pathetic.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2007, 12:43 AM   #19
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

I just watched their little video and I'm thinking I might show up there next month.
I'm no Gravy, but these guys don't look like much. I could be the Aussie Gravy, maybe I'll call myself Roux.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2007, 12:54 AM   #20
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
I just watched their little video and I'm thinking I might show up there next month.
I'm no Gravy, but these guys don't look like much. I could be the Aussie Gravy, maybe I'll call myself Roux.
Hehehe. No, call yourself Jue... that'll mess with their tiny minds.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2007, 12:58 AM   #21
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

Well, if you want to name yourself after an Aussie foodstuff, how about..... *looks over shoulders*..... Pavlova.

*qarnos runs and hides from the angry New Zealanders*

Old 13th April 2007, 01:00 AM   #22
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by orphia nay View Post
Hehehe. No, call yourself Jue... that'll mess with their tiny minds.
No, because a Jew would be jus what they're expecting.

ETA I was going to fix the typo in the above line, but decided to leave it as another saucey joke.

Sorry.

Last edited by Brainache; 13th April 2007 at 01:03 AM.
Old 13th April 2007, 02:00 AM   #23
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Hahaha! It was better that way, Brainache.
But they wouldn't be expecting the Jewish Inquisition, would they? Or would they? I don't think I'll ever understand CTists.
Old 13th April 2007, 05:10 AM   #24
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I walked past the Larouchies at their little stall in the shopping centre, and thought "Will I just ask them even a few questions"? Stir them up a bit. They had even had some 9/11 posters up, along with the rest of the rubbish they publish. I really didn't feel like it. They are just so pathetic. They really are just sad little people. All they have to make them feel like they actually are important and of some significance on this planet is a totally wacky set of conspiracy theories. Didn't their mommies love them, did their daddies go out to drink at the pub every night?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2007, 06:22 AM   #25
Vincent Vega
Critical Thinker

Oooo! they got Mini-Nukers! Second only to No-planers and Beamers.

Quote:
The image at left shows ejecta from an underground nuclear explosion. It is interesting to note the similarity between the visual appearance of the nuclear blast and the 'collapse' of the towers.
Vincent Vega is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2007, 08:00 PM   #26
Mobyseven
Philosopher

"Larouche"...that's not the group that believes that global warming was discovered by some guy 400 years ago is it?

I remember on campus a while ago there was a group calling themselves a "science" group promoting wacky ideas. Me and my friend were going to tape me confronting them over some of their claims, but they haven't been back.

And a Melbourne meet up would be something I'd be up for too.
Mobyseven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2007, 08:10 PM   #27
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

Originally Posted by Mobyseven View Post
And a Melbourne meet up would be something I'd be up for too.
We can organise TAMM - The Amazing Melbourne Meeting.

I'll dress up as Randi and instead of guest speakers, we can have beer.

Old 13th April 2007, 08:15 PM   #28
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

So are there any Sydney skeptics interested in tackling the Town Hall Truthers next month?
Old 13th April 2007, 09:35 PM   #29
Obviousman
Muse

So are there any Sydney skeptics interested in tackling the Town Hall Truthers next month?
I'm not sure there would be any point.

There are people who don't know all the detail, and only see the flashy vids or the assertions that seem to make sense. Once you explain to them the details, why this seems right but is wrong, why this person is qualified but not in the field they are talking about, etc, they wise up. Besides, they tend not to go to these 'truther'-type functions.

The other group are the hard-core true believers. If it's anti-American, they'll believe it. If it's anti-government, they believe it. If it's anti-establishment, they believe it. No need for facts; they just like to hang out with like-minded folk and discuss what they would change if they ran things. They won't be open to an alternative viewpoint; if it disagrees with them, it's propaganda - and the person saying it must be a disinfo agent. They're not open to change, so don't bother trying.

Little White Lies.......
Obviousman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2007, 09:43 PM   #30
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Obviousman View Post
I'm not sure there would be any point.

There are people who don't know all the detail, and only see the flashy vids or the assertions that seem to make sense. Once you explain to them the details, why this seems right but is wrong, why this person is qualified but not in the field they are talking about, etc, they wise up. Besides, they tend not to go to these 'truther'-type functions.

The other group are the hard-core true believers. If it's anti-American, they'll believe it. If it's anti-government, they believe it. If it's anti-establishment, they believe it. No need for facts; they just like to hang out with like-minded folk and discuss what they would change if they ran things. They won't be open to an alternative viewpoint; if it disagrees with them, it's propaganda - and the person saying it must be a disinfo agent. They're not open to change, so don't bother trying.
I was thinking of just shadowing them as they try to pass on their stuff to the passers by and putting the other side of the argument. I know you can't convert the true believers, but you can try to make sure their lies aren't spread uncontested.
Old 13th April 2007, 09:53 PM   #31
Obviousman
Muse

Point taken. Agreed.

Little White Lies.......
Old 14th April 2007, 02:25 AM   #32
Mobyseven
Philosopher

I was thinking of just shadowing them as they try to pass on their stuff to the passers by and putting the other side of the argument. I know you can't convert the true believers, but you can try to make sure their lies aren't spread uncontested.
Agreed. I'm up for that in Melbourne, anyway. If the need arises.
Old 14th April 2007, 02:32 AM   #33
uk_dave
Philosopher

911oz?

Isn't that 56.94lbs?
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2007, 02:52 AM   #34
Mobyseven
Philosopher

Quiet you oppressive pommie.
Old 10th May 2007, 12:47 AM   #35
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

I'm thinking of hopping on a train to Town Hall tomorrow to see if these guys are still doing their stuff. Anyone else from Sydney interested?
Old 10th May 2007, 01:43 AM   #36
Zep
Banned

I'm sorting my sock-drawer, man. It's been days since the last time...

Sic 'em, Rex!
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 02:02 AM   #37
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

I wish I was a Syndeysider.

Good luck!

Old 10th May 2007, 02:09 AM   #38
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by qarnos View Post
I wish I was a Syndeysider.

Good luck!
Ditto.

(Well, Sydneysider, to be pedantic.)

Go, Brainache!
Old 10th May 2007, 02:18 AM   #39
The Great Hairy One
Chief Cdr Scientist, NWO Cloning Labs

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You said Sydney? That explains it.

I do see the odd, in both senses of the word, Larouchies around here too. They always seem to be pathetic.

Don't knock Sydney, ugly boy. I just haven't got around to using the LaRouchies in my cloning experiments yet. I need some more monkey DNA as it is...

I'm thinking of hopping on a train to Town Hall tomorrow to see if these guys are still doing their stuff. Anyone else from Sydney interested?

Yah, I'm a Sydneysider. I'd love to join up with you, Brain. Not this month though, as I am in the middle of a big project, and working late most nights. Next month I can toddle along and we can roast them together.

Cheers,
TGHO
Old 10th May 2007, 02:19 AM   #40
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

Originally Posted by orphia nay View Post
Ditto.

(Well, Sydneysider, to be pedantic.)

Go, Brainache!
Oh, Sydney??? Bugger that - I don't wanna go there.

Syndey is a much better place.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories